Anyone into the Hebrew roots of Christianity?

hobbs27

Just wondering if there were any (or if you knew of any) Christians who were Torah-observant?

Bandy

Sure. All Jewish believers in Christ kept Torah. Even circumcision.

BANDERSNATCH

My bad, Hobbs... I should qualify it a little more. Anyone know of any non-Jewish Christians who are Torah-observant?

hobbs27

My bad, Hobbs... I should qualify it a little more. Anyone know of any non-Jewish Christians who are Torah-observant?

OK.. No. Paul stood for the Gentiles on the subject of circumcision . Only the Jew's were to keep Torah, as long as it was possible to keep it.

hobbs27

I think you might have missed the OP'S question.

Maybe so from your answer to it. It appeared to be asking past tense, since it's obvious no one can keep Torah today, I thought he was asking about scripture proof.

So my answer really remains the same, there's some rabbinic Judaism practicing folks that claim to believe in Christ, but no one can keep Torah without a temple.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
but no one can keep Torah without a temple.

so how did Daniel keep Torah?

How did all the jews keep Torah after Solomon's Temple was destroyed, until the 2nd Temple was rebuilt under Herod's rule?

hobbs27

Let me expound on my previous statement, so as not to confuse. Animal sacrifice was part of Torah. It was to be done in the tabernacle of God. The last Temple was the last known dwelling place of God per old Testament faith... Therefore they can no longer practice animal sacrifice without a temple... Hence they cannot practice Torah.

*Edit* see I knew someone was going to question.. So this answer is for you Pappy. :)

Artfuldodger

there's some rabbinic Judaism practicing folks that claim to believe in Christ,

Isn't that all a Christian has to do? Believe in Christ? Does that mean all of the people who claim to believe in Christ but believe this requires repentance of sins or works doesn't believe in Christ?

They don't just claim to believe in Christ, they do believe in Christ.
By making someone believe in Christ the same way you do is actually a type of legalism or works of and in itself.

hobbs27

Isn't that all a Christian has to do? Believe in Christ? Does that mean all of the people who claim to believe in Christ but believe this requires repentance of sins or works doesn't believe in Christ.

They don't just claim to believe in Christ, they do believe in Christ.
By making someone believe in Christ the same way you do is actually a type of legalism or works of and in itself.

JWs say they believe in Christ... but then they say He was just an Angel ...does that mean they believe in the same Christ as I do.. Because it wasn't an Angel that redeemed me.

Artfuldodger

JWs say they believe in Christ... but then they say He was just an Angel ...does that mean they believe in the same Christ as I do.. Because it wasn't an Angel that redeemed me.

We believe;

in God as declared in the Shema (Deuteronomy 6:4) who is Echad (a compound unity) and eternally existent in three persons.

in God’s Son — Messiah Yeshua — born of a virgin, His deity, sinless life, atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension, and His future return in power and glory.

in God’s Holy spirit (Ruach HaKodesh) who in times past came upon our forefathers (such as Moses, David, and the Prophets) for a specific purpose and who now indwells and empowers believers to live a godly life.

http://www.shalomaugusta.org/about-us/

You can't get much more Trinitarian that that.

hobbs27

We believe;

in God as declared in the Shema (Deuteronomy 6:4) who is Echad (a compound unity) and eternally existent in three persons.

in God’s Son — Messiah Yeshua — born of a virgin, His deity, sinless life, atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension, and His future return in power and glory.

in God’s Holy spirit (Ruach HaKodesh) who in times past came upon our forefathers (such as Moses, David, and the Prophets) for a specific purpose and who now indwells and empowers believers to live a godly life.

http://www.shalomaugusta.org/about-us/

You can't get much more Trinitarian that that.

I can't remember what it was that we discussed in here once that got lowjack out of the Christianity camp, but that doesnt mean he believes exactly as those posted... Maybe he'll stop in and comment himself I hate to misrepresent him, but there was something about how he believed that was very strange to Christian fundamentals.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Let me expound on my previous statement, so as not to confuse. Animal sacrifice was part of Torah. It was to be done in the tabernacle of God. The last Temple was the last known dwelling place of God per old Testament faith... Therefore they can no longer practice animal sacrifice without a temple... Hence they cannot practice Torah.

*Edit* see I knew someone was going to question.. So this answer is for you Pappy. :)

this answer doesn't go with my question at all. We all know that Daniel and all the prophets practiced the Torah from the time of the destruction of Solomon's Temple until the building of the 2nd Temple. They did this without a Temple to sacrifice, and God had a relationship with them during those hundreds of years without a Temple.

I don't think your premise that they must sacrifice at a Temple to practice their religion is accurate. Sure, they can't perform all the commands of the Torah now, but they can perform all possible.

Did God honor the worship of Daniel, even though he wasn't traveling to Jerusalem to sacrifice, pay his Temple tax, or celebrate the feast that are commanded?

Is is possible to practice Torah today without being able to hold each and every command. I would think if it was possible then, it would be possible now.

Whether or not Torah practice is proper worship of God now is a totally different conversation.

hobbs27

this answer doesn't go with my question at all. We all know that Daniel and all the prophets practiced the Torah from the time of the destruction of Solomon's Temple until the building of the 2nd Temple. They did this without a Temple to sacrifice, and God had a relationship with them during those hundreds of years without a Temple.

I don't think your premise that they must sacrifice at a Temple to practice their religion is accurate. Sure, they can't perform all the commands of the Torah now, but they can perform all possible.

Did God honor the worship of Daniel, even though he wasn't traveling to Jerusalem to sacrifice, pay his Temple tax, or celebrate the feast that are commanded?

Is is possible to practice Torah today without being able to hold each and every command. I would think if it was possible then, it would be possible now.

Whether or not Torah practice is proper worship of God now is a totally different conversation.

The answer was not written in response to your question. I noticed your response as soon as I posted, so the edit was put in as response.. I simply expounded on my previous statement to clarify the reasoning.

Yes, prayer was substituted as sacrifice during the exile... But there was less than a hundred years between temple 1 and 2... Correct?

They were still Mosaic Jew's. They still had a homeland, they still had a priesthood, they still had genealogy, they still had a Messiah to come as Torah pointed to.

After the final destruction of the Temple, they had no homeland 70ad to 1948ad..they don't have a priesthood, they have no genealogical records, and Torah that pointed to a coming Messiah is fulfilled.

So for a Christian to attempt to practice Torah is ludicrous to say the least. It's impossible... And I'll leave it at that since we're getting away from the Op.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
They were in captivity for 490 years......so no, there was a bit more than 100 years with no Temple

I thought the entire purpose of the OP was to access whether or not there was any christian who attempted to practice Torah...

Maybe I need to go back and read the OP again

hobbs27

They were in captivity for 490 years......so no, there was a bit more than 100 years with no Temple

I thought the entire purpose of the OP was to access whether or not there was any christian who attempted to practice Torah...

Maybe I need to go back and read the OP again

From what I'm reading Solomons Temple was destroyed in 587... Zerubabbel dedicated the second temple around 516bc.
Is that close to accurate or am I missing something?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Zerubabbel did start construction then. I was thinking of the northern kingdoms length of captivity. my bad.

But even so, Torah practice went on for that period of time, in a foreign country, without a place to sacrifice or practice any of the feast or ceremonies while they were in captivity. But the did practice Torah during those times, correct?

I agree that practicing of the Torah is not correct now, but to a practicing jew, who doesn't believe Messiah has already come, Torah is still the religion to follow. The religion of his fathers father. Regardless of your believe system, they still hold that they have a priesthood, lineage and will institute Temple sacrifice as soon as they possibly can do so.

Artfuldodger

I think the OP might have been looking for present day Christians but the discussion could look back in time to when Jewish Christians practiced Torah.

Did Paul practice Torah?

hobbs27

I think the OP might have been looking for present day Christians but the discussion could look back in time to when Jewish Christians practiced Torah.

Did Paul practice Torah?

Acts 24:14 (NKJV) - "But this I confess to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect, so I worship the Elohim of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets.

Acts 25:8 - while he answered for himself, "Neither against the Law of the Jews, nor against the temple, nor against Caesar have I offended in anything at all."