Anyone seen a band like this one?

clent586

Yep! Pretty rare for them to put tarsus bands on anymore. Lucky indeed to get that one I would say. Probably banded in Canada. I think they banded a good bit in Ontario with tarsus bands a year or so back. I don't remember where I read that at? Congrats

Congrats on a nice banded bird. The tarsus band is for aid in sighting them from a distance for reference to the migration. Different colors & codes are used for different areas.

A true trophy.... Congrats

Nitro

Banned
Very nice!

I have a couple.

My Dad killed a Greater in SD many years ago- leg band, tarsus band and a nose plate.

He didn't think much of it. His only comment was- "Sure did make a whomp when it hit the ground".

He's pretty much is unimpressed by accessories. Doesn't understand the appeal.

Nice trophy. Congrats!

10gaMafia

Yeah, it was banded 6/24/04 in Ontario. 12ga 3" #2's were putting the smack down on those things. #2's I will buy for goose and ducks from now on, it made me a believer. and thanks

Nitro

Banned
Yeah, it was banded 6/24/04 in Ontario. 12ga 3" #2's were putting the smack down on those things. #2's I will buy for goose and ducks from now on, it made me a believer. and thanks

Great stuff there!!!! Congrats again!

I bet they were happy to see some of those things leave in the cooler in the back of the Truck.

10gaMafia

From what I read online is that they band both legs at the same time. Also, they usually use the tarsus leg band for adults and juvies, and neck bands only for adults(obviously). Also, they are moving away from neck bands because they are more of 'a target'.

Nitro

Banned
From what I read online is that they band both legs at the same time. Also, they usually use the tarsus leg band for adults and juvies, and neck bands only for adults(obviously). Also, they are moving away from neck bands because they are more of 'a target'.

True enough. We have seen some Ross' and Snows with white neck collars.

clent586

Talk about a target, I saw a Tundra Swan in Currituck with a red collar and red leg band, did a flyby about 35 yards right over the blind. We opted not to put in for a permit that year. There were 7 or so in that bunch and it stood out like a sore thumb.

Talk about a target, I saw a Tundra Swan in Currituck with a red collar and red leg band. There were 7 or so in that bunch and it stood out like a sore thumb.

"Bummer of a birthmark, man!":bounce:

greg@teamlivewire

My understanding is that they are trying to use these bands more now since they are no longer using neck collars.

10gaMafia

No, didnt see it before hand. Actual my thrid shot after shooting 1 with the 1st 2 shots. About 40 to 50 yards trying to boogie out of there.