Anyone seen any bugs this year?

Tightliner

Fished the Hiwassee in NC this week end. Two days and no hatch at all, not even during magic hour :confused:. Anyone seen any decent hatches yet??????????

Later........................

jt002

I haven't really seen much myself. Think all this rain has had something to do with that? I am not the best at spotting a hatch. Doesn't May usually bring some good hatches?

By the way. Where did you land that brown in your avatar? Good looking fish. I love it when the jaw begins to hook ever so slightly.

whitworth

Reminds me: Observation over the decades

Too many flyfishermen use the dry fly too often in inappropriate situations.

Tightliner

I haven't really seen much myself. Think all this rain has had something to do with that? I am not the best at spotting a hatch. Doesn't May usually bring some good hatches?

By the way. Where did you land that brown in your avatar? Good looking fish. I love it when the jaw begins to hook ever so slightly.

Generally this time of year is what all of us dry addicts all wait for. Activity always dependent on enviornmental conditions. Different conditions + time of the season = different hatches. I was just curious if anyone has seen any activity in other areas.

That brown came from the Bow River in Alberta last Sept. I fish the Bow as a ritual every year. Ive fished from AK to Chile and it is by far the finest, most technical watershead I have ever experienced. A pleasure to experience.....

Later...............

Tightliner

Too many flyfishermen use the dry fly too often in inappropriate situations.

Very true. Thats why so many blank out. Thats also why we tie nymphs, emergers, larvae, pupae, streamers, terrestrials, etc, etc, etc. Educate yourself to the habits of the fish, the cycles of the different insect species and how they both interact to enviornmental conditions. Arm yourself with the proper gear and you reduce the chance of putting yourself in an inappropriate situation. But ya got to admit, castin a #22 to a broad head sippin duns is much more satisfying than chunkin a streamer or a Rapala ;) .

Later................

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Plenty of caddis on the Hooch in the afternoons and early evenings.

Tightliner

Probably headed to Reliance (TN Hiwassee) one day this week end. I'll send a report from there. Bitteroot, you in? Any other stream reports out there?

Later..............

Tightliner

There was a good hatch on the Soque yesterday afternoon.

Soque is a good river to catch a hatch on! Great fishery! A good friend guides on it during the winter and spring. Seeing more caddis or may's ? Cant wait till the Baetis gets strong :biggrin2:!!!!!!!!! For some reason it seems that fish dont get quite as excited over caddis. I use typically use a caddis indicator (#16-18) with a baetis dropper (#20-24), and 90% of the time they take the Baetis(even if it is during a good caddis hatch). Hoping that the wetter winter helps bring out the Isonychias. Have not seen a good hatch of these in years :confused:. Those big sailboats really get the larger fish stimulated. Hope we can use this board for up to date hatch reports. Its good to know whats going on in all necks of the woods.

Later.................................

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Probably headed to Reliance (TN Hiwassee) one day this week end. I'll send a report from there. Bitteroot, you in? Any other stream reports out there?

Later..............

I hear the BWO's are on the rise at Reliance... Might try to float Saturday afternoon and Sunday Mornin. Give us a shout out!

Tightliner

I hear the BWO's are on the rise at Reliance... Might try to float Saturday afternoon and Sunday Mornin. Give us a shout out!

Maybe the afternoon magic hour. Alliecat has games both Sat & Sun. Can do morning but game time is 1:00 both days. I like afternoon:biggrin2: ! Lets see what the generation schedule hold in store. Would not mind putting the pontoon in if U and Tob take the McKenzie.

Later.................................................

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Maybe the afternoon magic hour. Alliecat has games both Sat & Sun. Can do morning but game time is 1:00 both days. I like afternoon:biggrin2: ! Lets see what the generation schedule hold in store. Would not mind putting the pontoon in if U and Tob take the McKenzie.

Later.................................................

Welllllll... how was the Hiwassee? I know ya went! :hammers:

Tightliner

Welllllll... how was the Hiwassee? I know ya went! :hammers:

WEIRD!!!!!!!!

Got up there bout 4. Noticed that the water under the Reliance bridge looked like choc milk. Muttered a few obsenities to myself and thought, What the hec. head on up. Stopped at Big Bend to have a look-see. Clear water:fine:. Took off cross river to the trinches below #2 island (AKA bitteroot swimmin hole ::ke:). Hopped the ledges (bunch of em !)to get to the good run (you know where:D). Next thing I know, Choc milk. Where did all the ledges go!!!!!!! Needless to say spent a bunch of time trying to manuver my way back across the river. (BR, remind me once again the promise I made bout fishin that area!)

But back to the point. Had some baetis (BWO's) coming off and some kind of light cahill/sulphur lookin critter. It was hard to get a good look, I was concentrating on finding the rock shelves rather than the holes! The bugs were very sparse and nothing that I would even call a hatch. Caught a few fish while the water was clear. Used a humpy attractor with a # 22 bwo dropper. They took the humpy!!?? every time. Also caught some on flash bac pheasant tail (#18) dropped behind a Bead head Prince (#16).

Any other bug reports?

Later............................

Last edited:

speechless33759

The hatch at the chatooga has been phenomenal I hear. More towards the evening if you're willing to wait. Cahills and dark 18 caddis's are the main hatches.