Anyone using a VoIP (Voice over IP) company?

BANDERSNATCH

Considering using one of the digital phone services....like Vonage...for my home phone service. anyone got experience with one of these services? For $30/ month it sounds like a good deal.

Bandy

BANDERSNATCH

BTT

??????????????????????????????????????? No one? Looks like I'll be the guinea pig.

Bandy

gblrklr

I'm tempted, but we really don't use long distance a lot. I see that ATT is now in the business. Let us know how it works.

GABOWHUNTER

Voip

Hey guys, I work in the telecom industry and we are converting our TDM backbone over to IP as we speak. Voip is a great product and the wave of the future. You should be OK with utilizing the home service for now, there are still some kinks being worked out of it, but they can bundle your ld, data and voice all over the same connection. If you move in the future, you can take your same number with you as well. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Da Possum

Campfire Helper
Wow....that's some great technology.....what will they think of next???

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
Ikr?

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I think you have to use 10 digit dialing even local...??

**lol I'm thinking what service provider is just now converting to IP per a previous post....WAY previous 2004!

Last edited:

Scott Rogers

I used Vonage for years. Nothing wrong with the company or service from my experience. It will all be dependent on your internet provider In my area Charter internet sucks and would intermittently drop a few times a month causing the phone not to work. You can set up forwarding to other phones to prevent that issue .

I had mine set up to ring the house (voip line) and my cell and the first to answer got the call.

But with everyone and their mother having a cell phone now a days whats the point of a dedicated house line unless you have young kids who are not allowed a cell phone.

I had my voip number (had long term) ported to my cell phone and dropped the voip to cut redundancy.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Lotsa good info in here

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
But with everyone and their mother having a cell phone now a days whats the point of a dedicated house line unless you have young kids who are not allowed a cell phone.
How about having a octogenarian that refuses to use a cell phone or give up the same number they've had since 1950, because that's the number all their friends and family have?

specialk

I have verizon....hope this helps...

The mtn man

If your internet is good enough to run voip, why not just get a micro cell for your cell phone?

Scott Rogers

How about having a octogenarian that refuses to use a cell phone or give up the same number they've had since 1950, because that's the number all their friends and family have?

You will not need to give up your current phone number. All phone numbers are now portable. Just tell the new provider to port the number in a few hours it will be switched to the new provider. Doesnt matter if its a cell service, hard line or voip

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Cheapest solution I've found (even though this thread is 14 years old...). This is what I use.

Get a Google Voice phone number (free):

https://voice.google.com/voicemail

Buy an Obi Google box on Amazon for $70.

https://www.amazon.com/OBi202-2-Por...ds=obi+google&qid=1557578757&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Plug your Obi box into your router, and plug your cordless phone base unit into the Obi box.

I pay $25/year for unlimited local and long distance, and $0.01/minute for most international (which I never use).

Part of the $25/yr Obi package is 911 location service.

NOYDB

BANNED
Info still current.

Same house, same wires, same phone. Different name = excuse to charge you more.

Big7

The Oracle
A really small shop I worked in during the 2000's had it. O used it a lot, worked great.

I wasn't paying the bills there so I know nothing about cost or any of that stuff.

The owner loved it. FWIW.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Info still current.
Same house, same wires, same phone. Different name = excuse to charge you more.

Same house, different wires, different phone. Different name but it costs way-way less that the old Ma and Baby Bells, way less.

Almost there, septuagenarian and use the same number I have had here since 1960 (58 yrs). Pported it to my cell long ago. There is something oddly comforting in using the same number I did when I was 13.

NOYDB

BANNED
Same house, different wires, different phone. Different name but it costs way-way less that the old Ma and Baby Bells, way less.

Almost there, septuagenarian and use the same number I have had here since 1960 (58 yrs). Pported it to my cell long ago. There is something oddly comforting in using the same number I did when I was 13.

They ran new wires to your house?
Putting new wires in your house must have been a nightmare.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
VOIP is over different wires than Ma Bell used. Heck some of it don't even use wires a-tall.