Archery Season Scouting - Updated With Results

Buckman18

If you bust a bear feeding and run it off do you sit and wait in a good vantage point of the feed trees imediately or get out and sneak back in the next day?
Your question reminded me of a hunt i had where i had a similar experience to what you describe in your question.
A few years ago on the NF, i had to search high and low, but finally found a few red oaks that were producing. There was maybe a double handful on the ground, and those trees limbs had been freshly lapped.

On my first afternoon hunt there, i was looking for a tree to climb when I saw a nice bear sitting on his butt like a dog watching me. He wasnt 20 yards away. It actually startled me because i wasnt expecting that. As soon as i made eye contact he ran off.

I found the best tree and climbed up about 12 feet or so. That bear came back about 10 minutes later and I gigged him. Interestingly, he was absolutely full of copperplated shotgun pellets, and had been shot in one of his hams twice with what i guessed to be a 22. He didnt have an ounce of fat on him and still weighed nearly 200 pounds.

Over the years, ive had them come back. Ive had them tear down the mountainside running away never to be seen again, and ive had them stand up and pop their jaws at me and stand their ground during turkey season (just once-and I backed off slowly and left). Theres no right or wrong answer to your question because you never know. If the bear was in the area you were going to hunt anyway id still set up and hunt.

Last edited:

ripplerider

Regarding the pellets and the .22 cal.bullets it's a shame how many bears carry lead like that around. There are a lot of bear haters out there who want their deer back and dont care how they get them back. The bears need thinning down considerably but it's absolutely wrong to make them suffer after being shot with an illegal weapon, illegally. Great post Buckman.

ScarFoot

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate the info. Do bears circle downwind of hunters in a predictable fashion like whitetails do if you catch them out and about and they see the hunter first? and how close have you had one let you get when they are bedded down and you had a Favorable wind?

ScarFoot

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate the info., Do bears circle downwind of hunters in a predictable fashion like whitetails do if you catch them out and about and how close have had one let you get when they are bedded down and you have a. Favorable wind?

Wayne D Davis

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate the info., Do bears circle downwind of hunters in a predictable fashion like whitetails do if you catch them out and about and how close have had one let you get when they are bedded down and you have a. Favorable wind?
I believe any big game that senses something's there but not sure of what it is may try to circle you to get your wind

FMBear

If you bust a bear feeding and run it off do you sit and wait in a good vantage point of the feed trees imediately or get out and sneak back in the next day?

I busted my bear on opening morning last year around 8:10 in the morning as it came up a trail from a watering hole towards some dropping white oaks. I didn't hear it run far, found the trail it had taken, and backed off of it about 20 yards and sat. I figured it would still come back for the oaks it was heading towards. 5 hours later, just after 1pm, it showed back up. I was lucky with a 15 yard shot.
Every situation is different. I've busted bear that never looked back and never stopped running upon smelling me.

Etoncathunter

Anyone going up Cohutta watch the roads. The south side road 68 going up from the check station has gotten washed out pretty good, lots of bigger and SHARP rocks exposed. Road 17 down from lake conasauga to mill creek is being graded/ scraped to fix the same issue, so watch out for some heavy equipment. We got stuck behind a tractor for about a mile before we could get safely around it. Glad to see them trying to improve the roads before season.

Buckman18

My daughter (12) and I went on a walk about today, to scout and also to try to get some pictures of bears. We were between 2400-2800 ft, and were scouting an area ive never hunted. Like my previous trip, im finding red oaks with acorns. The first white oaks we encountered on tops had nothing. At the end of our 2.5 mile journey, and in a cove, we came across a half dozen white oaks that were dropping acorns while we were there. They also had fresh climbing sign, and we saw a bear in some sorghum that was nearby. However, we got busted by him while trying to get a pic. So far, ive found 2 potential stands for opening week, but i havent found 'the one' as of today.

Buckman18

After a couple of trips where I wasnt finding anything exciting my daughter and I finally found the killing ridge late today, hopefully. At least itll be where i hunt first. In Tray Mtn Wilderness. Finally found some white oaks that have enough acorns to matter. Saw 4 bears and a big timber snake. Now im ready for the season, today we had to walk a total of about 7 miles, and if you combine that with other trips weve easily got over 20 miles in the last month. If you want pubic land bears, like turkeys, it takes boot leather. Hopefully my next post will be a dead bear. Heres some proof from the day:

20190902_135939.jpg

20190902_164349.jpg

20190902_170807.jpg

Got my daughter and bear in same pic
20190902_172111.jpg

Daughter was begging for mercy by the end of our day together.
20190902_164741.jpg

Buckman18

What elevation did you find the good white oaks?

Over 3K, and under 1600 so far based on places ive been. Ive been to plenty of places over 3k that didnt have a one. Its very spotty it seems. My daughter and i did find a few in one spot at 2600, but there was plenty of places at that elevation that i couldnt find any.

Bottom line, this year is going to be good if youve prepared, otherwise a man may be wairing for red oaks to come into play? YMMV.

Last edited:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I had every intention of spending Labor day burning boot leather looking for bears, but an old herniated disc returned to pay me a visit Saturday and I've been laying pretty low. I've got a couple spots that have produced in the past during similar situations that I need to go check on.

Buckman18

I had every intention of spending Labor day burning boot leather looking for bears, but an old herniated disc returned to pay me a visit Saturday and I've been laying pretty low. I've got a couple spots that have produced in the past during similar situations that I need to go check on.

If you dont get a chance to get out, holler at me and you can go with us. My current plan is for her and i to sit in our hammock seats and try to get her a shot with a crossbow. Where we will be hunting is about a mile in, Kind've hoping she will miss! ;):)

jbogg

I have back issues as well and hate to hear yours has gone out so close to the opener. I have been trying to be careful lately in hopes mine doesn't pay me a visit too.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I have back issues as well and hate to hear yours has gone out so close to the opener. I have been trying to be careful lately in hopes mine doesn't pay me a visit too.

I think I aggravated it pulling arrows at a 3D tournament Saturday. I hurt it 10 years ago and I've always got to be mindful of which way I twist my body under load or I'll tweak it again.