Are anti hunters applying for quota hunts to prevent hunters from being selected?

Preston00

I just started using the quota hunt system a few years ago. Last year I was selected for the Sapelo Primitive Weapons hunt. I think the quota was 125 -- however there were only around 40 people on the hunt. It concerned me that only about 1/3 of the selected hunters actually attended the hunt -- and I heard that there were hunters with Sapelo as their first choice that wanted to go and were not selected. It is my understanding that currently it is not required to have a hunting license to apply for a quota hunt. From what I understand -- if anyone has ever purchased a land use permit or a fishing license in the past they are in the system and thus are allowed to apply for quota hunts. My concern is that anti hunters that have purchased a fishing license or land use permit could be applying for these quota hunts to prevent actual hunters from attending the hunts. I do not know what the statistics are for actual attendance vs quota on all the quota hunts -- but it is something that should be looked into to determine what percentage of hunters are actually attending the hunts. If hunter turnouts are low on many quota hunts -- then perhaps it should be a requirement to possess a valid hunting license each year in order to be eligible to apply for the quota hunts. Has anyone else on quota hunts experienced low hunter turnouts?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
If they were, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think they let too many folks on quota hunts to begin with.

And most the times, they are just lazy hunters and never show up for the hunt to begin with.

Start charging $5.00 for each hunt selection and you would weed a lot out. And a current hunting license before putting in for a hunt. Lots of states do it.

roscoe54

Same in Florida about half or less show up. On the one I hunt, the biologist told me anti hunters have been doing it sense it started.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Been to some hunts where seemingly everyone shows up, then on the same place later seems like only half the people show up.

I was drawn for ossabaw with two family members several years ago and ended up not going (wife had brain surgery) every time I went to ossabaw probably only 75% of those drawn actually showed up.

could anti hunters be putting in for the hunts? sure. but i don't think thats the primary reason "everyone" doesn't show up to hunt.

Heck ive been to sign in hunts on good WMA's early in the season/rut where the WMA was a ghost town. practically no one came.

Preston00

Having a valid hunting license before applying to a quota hunt would cut down on a lot of it. Then there are those that apply every year 'just in case' they are able to make the hunt. Perhaps they should make it where if you do not show up for 3 quota hunts in a row that you would not be able to apply the following year. This would open the door for others to have an opportunity to hunt. Personally I prefer less of a crowd around me when I am hunting -- however I don't like the idea of non hunters or anti hunters being able to apply for a quota hunt for the purpose of taking opportunity away from hunters. The quota numbers are there for game management purposes as well -- and when half the people selected do not show up for the hunt it makes this management tool ineffective.

Browning Slayer

Heck ive been to sign in hunts on good WMA's early in the season/rut where the WMA was a ghost town. practically no one came.

Not on Cedar Creek!

biggdogg

The quotas are set knowing that a certain percentage of hunters drawn won't show. The management goals must be being met because I can't think of a single WMA that has an over-abundance of deer...

Sixes

Quotas are established knowing that not everyone will attend.

I had rather hunt a WMA that only half the hunters showed up then one where everyone showed up and it was crowded.

Plus, and no one wants to hear this, but non hunters have just as much right to put in for a hunt on public land as hunters

Moose Master

GONetwork Member
Quotas are established knowing that not everyone will attend.

I had rather hunt a WMA that only half the hunters showed up then one where everyone showed up and it was crowded.

Plus, and no one wants to hear this, but non hunters have just as much right to put in for a hunt on public land as hunters

This ^^^^

Browning Slayer

Yes they do. (y)

Preston00

The quotas are set knowing that a certain percentage of hunters drawn won't show. The management goals must be being met because I can't think of a single WMA that has an over-abundance of deer...
Yeah but we cannot continue to raise the quota limit as the percentage of people not attending the hunts become higher and higher. I think it would be a good idea to require hunters to have a hunting license before applying. That way there will be less chance of anti-hunters applying since they would have to be paying in to something they are against. It would also reduce the number of hunters making application to the ones that are more serious about actually attending the hunt -- so there would be less no-shows and more spots open for others to have an opportunity. If someone knows they won't be able to make a hunt on a certain year, then they should be allowed to apply for 'priority points only' without having to buy a license for that year.

shdw633

If they were, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think they let too many folks on quota hunts to begin with.

And most the times, they are just lazy hunters and never show up for the hunt to begin with.

Start charging $5.00 for each hunt selection and you would weed a lot out. And a current hunting license before putting in for a hunt. Lots of states do it.

Require a credit card and the permit to be purchased immediately if drawn like they do in Illinois and that would stop allot of it as well.

Browning Slayer

Require a credit card and the permit to be purchased immediately if drawn like they do in Illinois and that would stop allot of it as well.

I'm ok with it. Happens in Utah!

It would help with our Gator Quota system here.

shdw633

I'm ok with it. Happens in Utah!

It would help with our Gator Quota system here.

They started that with our gator quota down here and I think it stopped allot of people putting in several entries under different family members and friends names just hoping to get drawn, now they have to pay for each entry in by providing a credit card that will get hit if drawn immediately, even though they still get up to five choices per entry I believe.

Preston00

This ^^^^
I prefer less people around me on a hunt as well because it makes it more quiet, a higher 'deer to hunter' ratio, and a better quality hunt. However, having few hunters on a quota hunt undermines their intentions to properly manage game (more people generally equates to more game killed). The last thing I would want to see are anti hunters actually showing up for the quota hunts to protest and make the true hunters miserable. They would be walking on stands and harassing in the field as well as in camp if they could get away with it -- and I don't think that would end well for anyone . . .

JohnBuck

Let's not forget that having antis out in the woods with licenses, they could disrupt our hunt, claiming to be novice's and not knowing that that was something they shouldn't be doing