Are big bar hogs good eating?

Working Dog

Anyone ever ate a big bar (castrated) hog like 400 pounds? I have ate several smaller ones in the 150 pound range but not an older big one. I'm wondering if they would be just like a large sow and still make good BBQ? Thanks for the input.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Anyone ever ate a big bar (castrated) hog like 400 pounds? I have ate several smaller ones in the 150 pound range but not an older big one. I'm wondering if they would be just like a large sow and still make good BBQ? Thanks for the input.

Check out "Champ's" thread... Bragging Board forum.

Darkhorse

If your talking about wild, big boars then yes they are fine eating.
Get it field dressed asap and prop the chest cavity open with a stick to help cool it out.
Skin it and remove all the fat you can along with the skin. Don't scrape it as the skin and fat can add that gamey flavor.
I cut the back straps and tenderloins into steaks.
I sometimes bone out a hindquarter and cut the individual muscle groups into steaks also.
The best way we've found to cook the front shoulders and rear quarters is in a roasting pan. Coat the meat with your favorite rub and add cut celery, potatoes, onions and carrots. Be sure to add some water to the pan. Cover and cook 300 to 350 degrees for several hours. Long and slow gets it tender.
When you can stick a fork in it and the meat just falls apart it's done. This you gotta try.
And you can always grind the lean portions along with pork fat from pen raised pigs for sausage.