Are Bobcats a threat to the deer population?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m sure bobcats get a fawn ever now and then but hunters are the biggest problem in areas where the population is low , the big buck mentality and belief that we need to kill all the does to have big bucks hurt a lot of areas , and I believe it takes several years to rebuild , I personally have only killed a couple in the past several years

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I really don't believe that they are such a menace to the deer but probably do kill lots of squirrels, rabbits, birds and other small rodents.

I have 3 bobcats that have frequented my property during the past 9 years now. One of them is a very large one and it has been around for at least 7-9 years or so. They are beautiful on my trail cameras as they roam most all hours of the day as well.

Over the past 10 years, I have killed 5 bucks total now and I do not kill any does on my property. I have hunted alone over all of these years and I have plenty of deer visiting my property on a year-round basis. I have had a good balance of does and bucks for all of these years also. I actually have so many trail cameras in service that I now have over 1,000,000 photos as a result. Every one of these photos were taken on a WGI camera too. Because I have acummulated such a library of photos, I actually recognize 95 % of the deer on my property as a result. I do see a new buck or two each rutting season as well but they don't stay very long at all.

HabershamHunter85

I personally don't think they kill that many deer, but I know that they will. I have never shot one but have seen a good many. Coyotes and Hogs are a different story, shoot everyone I see. But here is a video I saw the other day.

Mark K

Banned
I prefer this method of bobcat removal...

Attachments

• A5FC09A7-0208-408F-9DCC-9BB6BFBAF18C.png
    A5FC09A7-0208-408F-9DCC-9BB6BFBAF18C.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
Reactions: srb

PappyHoel

There’s probably no squirrels or rabbits around but I doubt they have much impact on a healthy full size deer. They may take a new born fawn but I’m guessing rarely.

Mark K

Banned
I’m guessing you’re referring to the puddle where the trap was bedded. This set was in a pond that doesn’t hold water too well. One end has water and the other end is just like the pic. Started raining last night and the bed filled up.

BowanaLee

Don’t think cats are a problem here in the city but dogs maybe ?

Davexx1

The short answer to your question is yes the cats are a threat to your deer population. But there is more to that story. Bobcats, coyotes, feral dogs, bears, and even eagles take small fawns. Bobcats, coyotes, and feral dogs are fully capable of and do kill fawns and adult deer. Also; humans kill a great number of does every year during the hunting season so considering all, it should come as no surprise that some areas are experiencing a collapse or decline in overall deer numbers.

The pressure on the deer herd is increasing because coyote populations are exploding. Hard fast numbers are difficult to determine but we do know that coyotes and other meat eating predators have to eat regularly. Because of the increased availability of easy meals (fawns) during the fawning season, one would expect the fawns to quickly become the predators prime and primary food source during that period. Considering the numbers of predators that exist in the woodlands, you have to wonder how many fawns actually survive. A good indication of how well the survival rate is, is to notice and pay attention to the number of does that have fawns with them or not.

Mark K

Banned
I can’t understand these same post year after year, read the turkey forum, same thing no deer or turkeys...yet very few people trap predators. But let’s complain and say the state need some to do something when they have given us all the means necessary to do it ourselves.

TurkeyKiller12

I can’t understand these same post year after year, read the turkey forum, same thing no deer or turkeys...yet very few people trap predators. But let’s complain and say the state need some to do something when they have given us all the means necessary to do it ourselves.
I have taken every measure to manage this property with the resources that I have, trapping included. There have been a total of three deer taken off this property in a span of roughly 10 years. I have a year round feeding, mineral sites and food plots. It's just very hard for the deer population to rebuild especially in this area. I haven't seen a deer from the stand on this property since November 7th.

Mark K

Banned
So you have no trail cam pics of any deer whatsoever??? Where are you located? Must be in North Georgia, I know you’re nowhere close to the SW part of the state, lol.

ripplerider

I too imagine that bobcats take a few deer. That's mother nature at work. I think bobcats are about the coolest creatures in the Georgia woods personally. I very rarely see them up here. I literally see 20 bears for every bobcat I lay eyes on. I wouldnt shoot one for love or money. Might be a different story if I saw one every couple cf trips, but I doubt it.

I have only gotten a few pcitures of bobcats on trailcameras in the last 3 years. Having said that if I saw one I would shoot it. I know for a fact the larger cats have and will kill fawns.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I’m guessing you’re referring to the puddle where the trap was bedded. This set was in a pond that doesn’t hold water too well. One end has water and the other end is just like the pic. Started raining last night and the bed filled up.

I didn't see the trap. I thought the cat was standing there eating something.