Are you ready?

frankwright

I hope I am. I sighted in my .54 Lyman Deerstalker yesterday!
Between the sweat running in my eyes and old eyes I was able to keep three balls inside 4" and that is about all I can hope for at 50 yards and I hope the deer are closer. I plan to hunt where the shots will be close.
80grs FFFG with a patched round ball.

I love the smell of black powder in the morning!

Esau

I got a 2" group at 50 yards and about twice that at 100. 60grs FFG with a patched round ball. T/C Hawken. I hope to keep shots to 50 yards.

transfixer

I am so disgusted with this weather I've lost my enthusiasm for this season, its going to have to turn off cold in order for me to get it back, no rain to speak of has caused most of the greenery to shrivel up and turn brown, it won't rain enough to where we can plant anything, I had high hopes for this season, now I don't know.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I am now! This afternoon sight in. I am off the whole week of M/L.:fine:

5 shots at 100yds...50 cal. CVA Kodiak shooting 100grs Pryodex RS with a Hornady 250gr SST sabot. This rifle doesn't like 3 rds in a row...hence the "flyer". Fire two, swab the barrel and its accurate.
mltarget.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
All I have to do is grab my flintlock and rifleman`s pouch, and head to the woods.

And hope it`s close enough for these old eyes. The days of 100 yard shots are gone.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
All I have to do is grab my flintlock and rifleman`s pouch, and head to the woods.

And hope it`s close enough for these old eyes. The days of 100 yard shots are gone.

Yeah the sights on my Hawken are tough to see these days especially at 1st and last light.

Darkhorse

I'm telling you Nic, put a simple peep on that flintlock and 100 yards might be doable again. Adding a peep to mine sure made a difference in my shooting.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I'm telling you Nic, put a simple peep on that flintlock and 100 yards might be doable again. Adding a peep to mine sure made a difference in my shooting.

I`ll seriously look into that, Sir. I`m at the point now that I`m uncomfortable at taking a shot past 40 yards.

Thanks!

shdw633

I am so disgusted with this weather I've lost my enthusiasm for this season, its going to have to turn off cold in order for me to get it back, no rain to speak of has caused most of the greenery to shrivel up and turn brown, it won't rain enough to where we can plant anything, I had high hopes for this season, now I don't know.

I am going through the same thing!! I am sighting in my ML this weekend when hopefully there is a slight break in the weather but my heart is just not into it because of all this heat. Doesn't help that I get no day pics on any of my cameras either.

transfixer

I am going through the same thing!! I am sighting in my ML this weekend when hopefully there is a slight break in the weather but my heart is just not into it because of all this heat. Doesn't help that I get no day pics on any of my cameras either.

I'm getting pics, but not the amount I normally would, I put out a shallow tub full of water a couple weeks ago, within sight of my feeder, to see if the deer would drink from it, I'll know when I go back tomorrow to check on things if it worked or not, already planning on putting out a couple more if I see they have been using it.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
The deer are moving in daylight...at least at the farm. Early Morning and just before dark.

I will be in the stand heat/dry/wet/cold/windy... whatever the conditions...you can't kill them on the couch.

transfixer

The deer are moving in daylight...at least at the farm. Early Morning and just before dark.

I will be in the stand heat/dry/wet/cold/windy... whatever the conditions...you can't kill them on the couch.

Very true ! However, killing them isn't nearly as important to me as it was when I was younger, in my twenties and thirties, I've killed plenty, the bloodlust has faded, I hunt now for the enjoyment, the enjoyment of being in the woods, sitting around a campfire, or the simple enjoyment of watching deer and their behavior.

Being in the woods in 90+ degree weather isn't my idea of enjoyable,,, lol

White Horse

I'll second the motion on what Darkhorse says, Nic. My flintlock Ol' Sparky wears a peep sight, and it sure helps these old eyes of mine.

Darkhorse

I`ll seriously look into that, Sir. I`m at the point now that I`m uncomfortable at taking a shot past 40 yards.

Thanks!

It doesn't need to be fancy. Something simple like the ones I put on my rifles do fine. I had to come up with something that would work with a swamped barrel and these are it.
However, with a straight octagon barrel it will be much easier to just buy a commercial product and go with that. It will also be more adjustable than mine. Mine works fine because once sighted in I don't intend to move them again.

SS850099.jpg

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster

I can see 'em out past 100 just fine. It's my up-close that's take a turn for the worse. Need my reading glasses to put a cap on the nipple.

Darkhorse

I'm ashamed to admit that I am not ready. We are trying to get the house, fence and my shop repair finished, this damage is from Hurricane Michael. My rifle should be good to go but next week I'll take a day and check her out. This year I'll be back to loading 80 grains of goex 3fg, a .530 round ball and .0175 ticking patch. I'll decide on the lube then.
I've got to go to the woods too and check out a couple of stands and build a new blind. Then there's the ATV. It stopped having fire at the ignition, stranding me down in the woods. I've got to get back working on it as it's an excellent game retriever.