Atheism Has A Suicide Problem

Artfuldodger

Might be from the pressures of living in a religious world. Was reading some of the comments about Anthony Bourdain committing suicide. It was mentioned that maybe it was because of Atheism and maybe Liberalism.

One can't just kill himself anymore without something deeper causing it. I would assume white collar conservative Christians kill themselves as well but do Atheist do it more often? From living in a religious world? What about homosexuals living in a heterosexual world? Black people living in a White world? Jews living in an Arab country? A sailor stationed on a Army base?

Atheists are often isolated and ostracized. Is there a greater suicide problem? Is it based on living in a religious world?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
All clubs have quitters.

Artfuldodger

I guess enough of anything can get to some people. Even to the point where the living envy the dead.
I had a cousin that killed herself. I called her a seeker. She was always looking for answers. She even tried Christianity and the Army among many other things. She was very talented. Just never found what she was looking far.

WaltL1

Might be from the pressures of living in a religious world. Was reading some of the comments about Anthony Bourdain committing suicide. It was mentioned that maybe it was because of Atheism and maybe Liberalism.

One can't just kill himself anymore without something deeper causing it. I would assume white collar conservative Christians kill themselves as well but do Atheist do it more often? From living in a religious world? What about homosexuals living in a heterosexual world? Black people living in a White world? Jews living in an Arab country? A sailor stationed on a Army base?

Atheists are often isolated and ostracized. Is there a greater suicide problem? Is it based on living in a religious world?
It was mentioned that maybe it was because of Atheism and maybe Liberalism.
In my opinion, thats a plate full of crap written by somebody who feels the need to connect Atheism, Liberalism and suicide.
Suicide occurs across all belief systems, political leanings, cultures, locations........
Its a personal issue.
Every 15 minutes, someone in the United States takes his or her own life. That's 35,000 suicides every year in this country—and likely more, since many suicides are disguised as accidents. Sadly, suicide occurs among Christians at essentially the same rate as non-Christians.
I'm guessing the Christian suicide rate isn't attributable to Atheism and/or Liberalism.

Israel

BANNED
LOL...I've wanted to do away with myself more times than I can remember. Get into those spots of rock and hard place, not being able to see anything beyond...just...."too tight". Way too tight. I don't imagine I'm the only one. Even among what calls itself "believer".

Things pressing seemingly beyond limit. (But I'm kind of a weak guy to begin with...never could bear much contradiction, resistance) But, also clever...maybe that develops from that weakness...as a coping mechanism...it helps to shift the pressure a bit. Something (?) always seemed to be laying far more of a demand for something from me...than I knew I had...to meet that demand. Yikes!

So, blame always came easy to me...it's kind of amazing how much ground you can still cover by comforting yourself that "it's everyone else's fault". It can take you pretty far...and precisely as far...and no further...than it can.
Eventually though it just runs out...and you just don't care about trying to keep up, you just want...out.

As a believer...well...you may be able to fool yourself for a while "Lord! I hate the world...hate hate hate it! Doesn't that make me "good"? Ain't I supposed to hate the world? (Eventually you find out "not loving the world" is not what you are about at all...) and just trying to get yourself in line with what you think Jesus may mean about disdaining certain things...does not mean...at all...that you are then "loving Jesus".

Oh...what a shock! (I wish there were a sarcasm emoji at times)

So, you find yourself kinda suspended..."I suck at being in the world, that's already been proven without a doubt...and the prizes for being good at it...have already been shown to be of such poverty...I can't even go back to pretending"
But, I also suck at being a believer cause all I am finding is cynicism and even more demand than I think I'm supposed to...ain't I supposed to be all light and airy and content? Oy...this really is miserable!

(I think of the guy in Matrix...the traitor...just wanting to "go back"...mind wiped, blissfully ignorant)

All I know is nothing holds anything of promise. I'm a failed worldling, and a lousy believer. Can't pretend to the one, and can't hide the truth of the other.

Yeah...what a house that was! Sold...but not convinced of being bought.

atlashunter

Don’t know if that’s true but I suppose it could be. Many Christians believe suicide sends you to the hot place so maybe that is a deterrent. I’ve never been truly suicidal but I’m sure most of the times I contemplated it was when I was still a believer, not that the one had anything to do with the other. I don’t buy the theory that being surrounded by Christians makes an atheist suicidal.

WaltL1

Did Jesus commit suicide?
su·i·cide
[ˈso͞oəˌsīd]
NOUN
the action of killing oneself intentionally.

I am assuming that with Jesus's reported powers, if he didn't want to be on that cross, he wouldn't have been. And I would assume he was also well aware of what was going to happen.
Regardless of the "why" (fulfilling his mission etc etc) didn't he intentionally kill himself (for us as the story goes)?

atlashunter

I also wonder if maybe different attitudes toward suicide play a part? I know my views on suicide have changed over the years.

Israel

BANNED
su·i·cide
[ˈso͞oəˌsīd]
NOUN

I am assuming that with Jesus's reported powers, if he didn't want to be on that cross, he wouldn't have been. And I would assume he was also well aware of what was going to happen.
Regardless of the "why" (fulfilling his mission etc etc) didn't he intentionally kill himself (for us as the story goes)?

Oh...man...what a question!!

Happy hunting!

WaltL1

Don’t know if that’s true but I suppose it could be. Many Christians believe suicide sends you to the hot place so maybe that is a deterrent. I’ve never been truly suicidal but I’m sure most of the times I contemplated it was when I was still a believer, not that the one had anything to do with the other. I don’t buy the theory that being surrounded by Christians makes an atheist suicidal.
When I'm in a hurry and stuck in traffic because the cop is letting the Church folks out or when the Waffle House is slam full on Sunday about 11:00...... its not myself that I want to kill :LOL:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
su·i·cide
[ˈso͞oəˌsīd]
NOUN

If merely a man at the the time and only able to perform the miracles that god allowed....it wasn't really suicide.
It was god carrying out a predestined plan and Jesus was playing his part.

Gods only solution to save the humans was to concoct a plan where he makes a son on earth for the sole purpose of having the humans kill his son and that act will somehow save those same humans.
Would it work?
Seems as though it was just so crazy it HAD to.

The story would have us believe that Jesus was a sacrifice sent by a god to please that same god...who after the murder of himself became the same god.
God gave the people free will which meant they had the choice to choose god or not. But as soon as god doesn't like the people's choiches he steps in with that doozie of a plan.
What if the people didnt want to crucify Jesus? God just amped up the offenses until they did presumably to get his way.

But then again if Jesus was just man he eventually became a god.
Throw in the holy ghost and the whole notion of worshipping only one god becomes MonoTHREEism.

Last edited:

WaltL1

Oh...man...what a question!!

Happy hunting!
Its an honest question though with no "bad intentions" behind it.
Look at it this way, we award the Medal of Honor to a person who intentionally sacrifices himself for his men knowing its going to cost him his life. It also fits the definition of suicide.

WaltL1

If merely a man at the the time and only able to perform the miracles that god allowed....it wasn't really suicide.
It was god carrying out a predestined plan and Jesus was playing his part.

Gods only solution to save the humans was to concoct a plan where he makes a son on earth for the sole purpose of having the humans kill his son and that act will somehow save those same humans.
Would it work?
Seems as though it was just so crazy it HAD to.

The story would have us believe that Jesus was a sacrifice sent by a god to please that same god...who after the murder of himself became the same god.

Throw in the holy ghost and the whole notion of worshipping only one god becomes MonoTHREEism.
Yeah an intermittent power clause would certainly make a difference.

atlashunter

su·i·cide
[ˈso͞oəˌsīd]
NOUN

Kind of like suicide by cop?
Its an honest question though with no "bad intentions" behind it.
Look at it this way, we award the Medal of Honor to a person who intentionally sacrifices himself for his men knowing its going to cost him his life. It also fits the definition of suicide.

Considered in the light of bullets post it’s not so heroic. The idea that someone would offspring a kid to be murdered for their own screw up and that people would say yes this makes perfect sense and let’s make this our moral foundation is crazy. It’s no wonder childhood indoctrination is a key component to keeping it going.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Yeah an intermittent power clause would certainly make a difference.
Yeah, mobsters put a contract out on a person and then the person gets "hit".
Not much different for Jesus and his Dad.

Israel

BANNED

LOLOLOL...you know...even in the midst of it all there was enough "fear of the Lord" (Do you find that too strange?) If so...how about this..."fear of taking on the ultimate by choice that appeared to take away any re-choosing?" that kept me from it. To willfully choose the place...of no further choice? Yeah...I had (or was given to keep) what I now see as a healthy dose of "No". Seems the place of "no choice" was not mine to grasp at! It had to be a gift! From the Ultimate.

But...here's the funny thing (to me now)...to keep "an out"...(and also not lose "believer in good standing card")...I thought..."look...if things just ever get too tough, I'll book me a flight to some place in the Arab world, go to the corner of their Main and Central Ave...and just start preaching the gospel as loudly as I can" Kinda suicide by mutawwi. Ha...you think that's funny?

Not half as funny as what I learned. I fold like a cheap camera in my own will...and would probably be extolling Allah after the first blow fell.

atlashunter

When I'm in a hurry and stuck in traffic because the cop is letting the Church folks out or when the Waffle House is slam full on Sunday about 11:00...... its not myself that I want to kill :LOL:

:rofl:

atlashunter

LOLOLOL...you know...even in the midst of it all there was enough "fear of the Lord" (Do you find that too strange?) If so...how about this..."fear of taking on the ultimate by choice that appeared to take away any re-choosing?" that kept me from it. To willfully choose the place...of no further choice? Yeah...I had (or was given to keep) what I now see as a healthy dose of "No". Seems the place of "no choice" was not mine to grasp at! It had to be a gift! From the Ultimate.

But...here's the funny thing (to me now)...to keep "an out"...(and also not lose "believer in good standing card")...I thought..."look...if things just ever get too tough, I'll book me a flight to some place in the Arab world, go to the corner of their Main and Central Ave...and just start preaching the gospel as loudly as I can" Kinda suicide by mutawwi. Ha...you think that's funny?

Not half as funny as what I learned. I fold like a cheap camera in my own will...and would probably be extolling Allah after the first blow fell.

From the standpoint of someone that doesn’t expect an afterlife it’s not just the loss of choice. It’s the loss of pain, anxiety, depression, boredom, etc. Not such a bad bargain for some. I can see how the expectation of hades might change that equation.

WaltL1

Kind of like suicide by cop?

Considered in the light of bullets post it’s not so heroic. The idea that someone would offspring a kid to be murdered for their own screw up and that people would say yes this makes perfect sense and let’s make this our moral foundation is crazy. It’s no wonder childhood indoctrination is a key component to keeping it going.
Sure but the "why/how" of it , I think is a separate issue.
On the issue of suicide, if Jesus did or did not have the power to remove himself from the situation at that time does make a difference on whether he intentionally or did not have a choice but to die/be executed.