Atheists and ghosts?

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I have dreamed things that seemed as real as anything that has happened while I was awake. I can believe instances can and do occur where the brain can blend dreams with reality. It seems to happen quite often in elderly and or people with illnesses so why could it not happen with younger/healthy people where they would be 100% sure they saw something or someone that was locked away in their brain somewhere?? Could be perceived as a ghost or a god....

My FIL, in his last days, began seeing things. They were as real as day to him. One of them was he kept complaining that the burgers on the ceiling were dripping grease on his forehead. It's possible the brain's inner workings can get crossed in healthy folks as well. I have heard some very normal people explain very real circumstances to them. The mind playing tricks is prolly the best explanation.

ambush80

I have dreamed things that seemed as real as anything that has happened while I was awake. I can believe instances can and do occur where the brain can blend dreams with reality. It seems to happen quite often in elderly and or people with illnesses so why could it not happen with younger/healthy people where they would be 100% sure they saw something or someone that was locked away in their brain somewhere?? Could be perceived as a ghost or a god....
My FIL, in his last days, began seeing things. They were as real as day to him. One of them was he kept complaining that the burgers on the ceiling were dripping grease on his forehead. It's possible the brain's inner workings can get crossed in healthy folks as well. I have heard some very normal people explain very real circumstances to them. The mind playing tricks is prolly the best explanation.

I've induced those kinds of experiences on purpose occasionally:biggrin2:
480 × 204

ambush80

Brent!
Of course your pets have voices. How else would they talk to us ;)
And I saw your pics of your new little slice of Shangri-La.
To borrow a phrase - you certainly seem to be blessed!

Where's the pics?

oldfella1962

All I remember is that the bathroom in question was always ice cold and implemented a distinct sense of dread. It is well known that the renovation process somehow “disturbs”, or “awakens” the portal, almost shining a light that has just been switched on, to the other dimension where lost souls wander, perhaps not aware of their death... The lady that killed herself was a retired RN that was 77 years old at death. Not necessarily the soul or spirit that appeared face to face that had no eyes and dressed in a long flowing gown. I could write a book, but who has time?

"All I remember is that the bathroom in question was always ice cold and implemented a distinct sense of dread." - anybody entering my bathroom in the morning within 30 minutes or so of me....."functional checking" my digestive system..... would have a similar sense of dread. :eek:

oldfella1962

Our bodies are vessels of energy. For most people the things work as they are seemingly supposed to. For others, that energy manifests itself in different ways. There are always exceptions to the rule. I really doubt that all the "normal" people are actually normal as it seems that our bodies and minds are as unique as the individual. I cannot imagine that with over 7 billion humans in the planet that there are even two alike in every way. We each take in, use, and interpret energy in various ways.

good point! Science claims all matter is a form of energy. And when you get right down to it what is "your body?" There is more of what isn't solid than what is solid. We are made of atoms of various types that all are structured similarly. Electrons orbiting a nucleus, much like planets orbiting a sun. Between the electrons and nucleus is a whole lot of empty space - a whole lot of nothing. Just like between planets and their sun there is a great space with basically nothing. So we feel solid, but thousands of radio waves and cell phone waves can pass through our bodies at any one time. Place a transistor radio in the middle of a group of people - the signal gets through just fine. Waves are zipping through all that empty space within the atoms of our bodies. If you could compress all the "solid" parts of my 170 pound body into one area it would probably be a microscopic sub-atomic 170 pound particle. The force from the electrons in constant motion in orbit around a nucleus keeps everything "solid" from getting inside the atom, kind of how earth's electromagnetic field keeps out the deadly radiation from the sun.

My point here is if types of energy (such as radio waves carrying data) can pass through the vast empty space of atoms in our body, walls, doors, bricks, etc. who know what other types of energy can also pass through without detection?

oldfella1962

oh my goodness I could write a book about all the incredible delusions/hallucinations my wife had during her two separate month-long mental breakdowns. And much like being blackout drunk, the part of the brain that lets you remember it all shuts down while your brain malfunctions. When I told her all the crazy things she was saying and doing she was amazed. She remembers bits & pieces here and there and some of it comes back to her, but her entire thought processes were disrupted and she was literally another person. It's something I hope never happens to her again. Some kind of brain chemistry thing with the dosages and interactions of various medications she was taking were most likely the cause. I have no doubt that hundreds/thousands of years ago before medical science was advanced, everyone would swear evil spirits were the cause of it, especially since it came and went seemingly over night.

This is why I get so upset when people use strong "recreational" drugs that take them out of their normal reality. There are people who would love to be grounded in reality and rational normal thought, but cannot due to severe mental illness and brain malfunction often due to faulty brain chemistry. People do these drugs to get "out of their mind" loopy but they don't appreciate just how precious & important sober rational though is.

Madman

I'm intrigued by the Paranormal which is one of the reasons that I find religious belief so interesting. I classify miracle claims are paranormal. That's why I ask believers "What did God's voice sound like?" so often. I want the details of a paranormal experience; I want to know what the ghost was wearing and what it smelled like if it had any odor.

I'm compelled by the explanations of ghosts that refer to "wrinkles in time" as Bullet suggested, or "recording of events" in the substrate of the material world, like grooves on a record.

My neighbor and friend believes in ghosts (though I think I may have started swaying him away from it). He has a EVP app on his phone. I aksed him how it woks. He didn't know and up until that time he didn't care. He's a church planter. I only mention that because I have observed him to be very selectively skeptical . He doesn't trust the govt. and is prone to believe in conspiracy theories, particularly around 911, yet he hadn't researched explanations that contradicted his beliefs. We sat around on his couch one night and watched videos about 911. I told him to find ones that were the most compelling to him and we watched them. I then asked him to find a video that contradicted the last one. We were streaming Youtube to his TV. There were no contrary videos in his algorithm, only ones that reinforced his ideas. People say that this echo chamber phenomenon is new but it's not really. Going to church and hanging out with believers all day will "screw up your algorithm", too.
Hey ambush!! When you coming down for lunch?

You are right.

Going to church Atheists websites and hanging out with believers non-believers all day will "screw up your algorithm", too.

Take care.

ambush80

Hey ambush!! When you coming down for lunch?

I plan on hunting in Athens in a couple of weeks. If I camp I could swing by your side of town sometime, maybe for lunch or dinner.

You are right.

Going to church Atheists websites and hanging out with believers non-believers all day will "screw up your algorithm", too.

Take care.

I'd rather talk to believers about these kinds of things than non-believers. That's where the action is.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Im a believer in God who doesn't believe in ghosts. I always use a quote from Ambush when discussing such with those who believe they exist......."how did their clothes, swords, etc pass through to the spirit world." It's interesting to me how all ghosts seem to be a snapshot in time of a certain person or thing..........if you became a ghost, what age ghost would it be? Teenage you? infant you? Adult you? Old you?

I may have missed a few pages of discussions on these things, just thought I would throw it out there for old times sake. Miss debating with you guys.
Yeah, I've always wondered why ghosts aren't all nekkid. I can buy the idea of people having souls, but not a dress or pair of blue jeans.

Capt Quirk

Yeah, I've always wondered why ghosts aren't all nekkid. I can buy the idea of people having souls, but not a dress or pair of blue jeans.
Just memories of the way they were. There have been stories of ghosts walking several feet off the floor. After research was done, there used to be a higher floor back then. Some ghosts are nothing more than memories replaying, it is the intelligent ones that are interesting.

BassMan31

I believe in God. I believe is ghosts. They're memories of simulation past replaying as a kind of glitch.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I believe in God. I believe is ghosts. They're memories of simulation past replaying as a kind of glitch.
What memories would a person have of someone or something they never knew?

BassMan31

I don't believe they're memories of a person but memories of, we might as well call it "reality," that manifest themselves as physical phenomena. They're projections from the past and/or future. In higher dimensions this makes some sense.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I can see / hear (not literally but in my mind and thoughts) my own Dad every day with a lot of things I now do. I pass those stories down to my youngest nephew that never met my Dad and sometimes he will mention things he dreamed or day dreamed about the Pawpaw he never met. If someone ever heard him talk about it not knowing that he only knows what he’s heard from us or saw in pictures, I imagine they’d think he saw his “ghost”.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I can see / hear (not literally but in my mind and thoughts) my own Dad every day with a lot of things I now do. I pass those stories down to my youngest nephew that never met my Dad and sometimes he will mention things he dreamed or day dreamed about the Pawpaw he never met. If someone ever heard him talk about it not knowing that he only knows what he’s heard from us or saw in pictures, I imagine they’d think he saw his “ghost”.
I can understand that, but what would explain Me describing your dad?
Would it be like Bassman describes above? And if they are manifested memories or people we may or may not know why would the ghost do "new" things like hover over a person, drag chains, close doors, touch a person...and all the things credited by ghosts??

ambush80

I don't believe they're memories of a person but memories of, we might as well call it "reality," that manifest themselves as physical phenomena. They're projections from the past and/or future. In higher dimensions this makes some sense.

Where and how do you suspect they're "recorded"?