Atv on wma roads

garveywallbanger

If its an open improved WMA road maintained for vehicle access then ATV is allowed. If its a county road then the tag law applies. Driving off of improved roads that are maintained for vehicular access is illegal as is driving on a No Vehicle Access (NVA). Dont worry though cause when you get stopped you will have your day or days in court.

Pineyrooter

First, where is an atv legal “now” to use except for private land?

Second, what is the purpose of taking, needing or wanting an atv on public land if not legal to leave a maintained road?

Some WMA's during an open hunt. I personally see little reason to use an ATV on a WMA unless maybe your camping and want to leave your truck at camp. I've considered it but it just didn't make sense to me if I could drive my truck.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
The only reason that makes sense to me is older folks who like small game hunting but can't walk the woods like they used to. And if course the laws for firearms in proximity to roads still apply.

So as to my original question and to the legality of riding an atv on a maintained wma road..... There is no reason why it can't be done as long as the wma doesn't expressly forbid atvs (as interpreted by me)

simpleman30

Bringing up a 1 year old post here, but I've been curious as to the legalities of riding ATV's or side by sides on WMA's, specifically Tuckahoe. This post came up in my google search. I've heard the stories of the late 90's and early 2000's of people using WMA's as their ATV club riding area. Last fall (2020) during the muzzleloader hunt in early October, there were plenty of hunters on ATV's. Many rode up to the warden station to check in their deer on the back of their ATV or side by side. Every time I go to Tuckahoe with a friend or with my sons to ride around, scout, and kill time, there are folks on ATV's or side by sides (many of them bow hunters from what I've seen) riding to or from their hunting area on ATV's with the bow or rifle strapped to the rack, or just a family riding around. Between the many posts on this thread and reading the regs, I still scratch my head as to when is it legal to ride an ATV/Side by side on the WMA.

nmurph

Just get a Roxor and register it as a motorcycle. BTW, this thread is 2 years old.

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Bringing up a 1 year old post here, but I've been curious as to the legalities of riding ATV's or side by sides on WMA's, specifically Tuckahoe. This post came up in my google search. I've heard the stories of the late 90's and early 2000's of people using WMA's as their ATV club riding area. Last fall (2020) during the muzzleloader hunt in early October, there were plenty of hunters on ATV's. Many rode up to the warden station to check in their deer on the back of their ATV or side by side. Every time I go to Tuckahoe with a friend or with my sons to ride around, scout, and kill time, there are folks on ATV's or side by sides (many of them bow hunters from what I've seen) riding to or from their hunting area on ATV's with the bow or rifle strapped to the rack, or just a family riding around. Between the many posts on this thread and reading the regs, I still scratch my head as to when is it legal to ride an ATV/Side by side on the WMA.

OPERATING MOTOR VEHICLES AND ATVs
All motor vehicles are restricted to roads open for vehicular access. ATVs may only be operated on open roads within WMAs during the period between 2 hours before sunrise and 2 hours after sunset one day prior to and during big game, small game, and hog only hunts by hunters actively participating in the hunt (except where otherwise specified). However, on National Forest Lands, including WMAs on the National Forest, ATVs are restricted to designated trails unless posted otherwise.

“Open Roads” are roads not closed with a gate, sign, earthen berm or similar device intended to prevent vehicular access. Motor vehicles (including ATVs, dirt bikes, utility vehicles, golf carts, and other off-road vehicles) must meet applicable safety, licensing, insurance and registration requirements for use on public roads. Vehicle and ATV operators must be at least 16 years old. Roads may be closed at the discretion of DNR. Vehicles may not be parked in such a way as to block an open or closed roadway.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If any of you are interested in the actually laws, here they are.

https://casetext.com/regulation/geo...r-conveyance-use-on-wildlife-management-areas

(4) Motor vehicles must meet safety, insurance, licensing, and registration requirements for use on public roads. However, 3-wheel and 4-wheel All-Terrain Vehicles, (ATVs) need not be licensed (tagged) to be operated on a WMA unless the WMA is on National Forest lands.

Every WMA I've ever set foot on is on National Forest land.

across the river

Every WMA I've ever set foot on is on National Forest land.

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but if you personally want to ride an ATV on a WMA then I would recommend you find a new one to explore. If you have no desire to ride an ATV, keep doing what you are doing.

4bes

Rule 391-4-2-.62 - Vehicle, Horse, ATV and Other Conveyance Use on Wildlife Management Areas(1) As used in this Rule, "all-terrain vehicle" or "ATV" means a tracked or wheeled motor vehicle powered by an electrical or motor fuel engine and generally characterized by low-pressure tires, an open operator area, a seat designed to be straddled by the operator or a bench style seat, handlebars, lever arms or steering wheel for steering, and is intended for off-road use by an individual or multiple riders on natural terrain. This includes off-road motorcycles (dirt bikes), utility vehicles, golf carts, 4 and 3-wheeled cycles and other off road vehicles. Open roads" shall mean those roads not closed with a gate, sign, earthen berm, or similar device.(2) Horses, bicycles and all motor vehicles, including off-road vehicles, are restricted to open roads. Provided, however, that horses and bicycles may also use designated trails or designated areas; bicycles may be used on closed roads for hunter access; horses may be used off roads and trails during permitted field trials.(3) Vehicles, including ATVs, marked by official handicap license plates, placard, or sticker for special handicap access may be used on roads otherwise closed for vehicular access but specifically designated by the department for handicapped hunter access. WMA users possessing a Department issued Other Power-Driven Mobility Device (OPDMD) Special Use Permit may also use OPDMD's on handicap access roads or any other closed roads and locations as specified by the Department in the OPDMD Special Use Permit.(4) Motor vehicles must meet safety, insurance, licensing, and registration requirements for use on public roads. However, 3-wheel and 4-wheel All-Terrain Vehicles, (ATVs) need not be licensed (tagged) to be operated on a WMA unless the WMA is on National Forest lands.(5) All vehicle operators must have appropriate licenses and safety equipment for operating on public roads.(6) ATVs may be operated only on roads within WMAs during the period between 2 hours before sunrise and 2 hours after sunset one day prior to and during big game, small game, and special hog only hunts by hunters actively participating in the hunt except where otherwise specified in 391-4-2-.70.(7) ATV operators must be at least 16 years old.(8) Trails and areas open to horses and bicycles may be closed during certain hunting seasons or certain times of day to avoid user conflicts.(9) Horses and bicycles may be used on National Forest lands not otherwise closed.(10) Vehicles and effects are subject to being searched for illegal game or weapons.(11) No person may operate any motor vehicle, including off-road vehicles, in a reckless and negligent manner, or in a manner that willfully causes damage to improved roads, open roads, seasonal roads, ditches, wildlife openings, wildlife habitat, berms, firebreaks, campgrounds, or parking areas.
Ga. Comp. R. & Regs. R. 391-4-2-.62
O.C.G.A. §§ 12-3-927-1-4, 40-7-5.

JROESEL

Don’t go to Tennessee, I just rode up there for days and passed several 4 wheelers and buggies parked off the trails for hunting, our entire group had to buy a hunting license and a wma stamp to ride, the weekend had thousands of bikes and buggies running everywhere, I wouldn’t be surprised if some in Georgia start opening up to riders, it’s a lot more money for the state then just hunters, money talks
Eufaula is already getting one done now