Automobile Insurance

Bones

I am finally fed up with Allstate. It seems like every time it is time to renew my premiums go up. Just got my new six month renewal and the premium went up $50. I need some of your wisdom and advice. I have been with Allstate for over 20 years and thank God have never filed a claim. I am 70 years old retired and my wife is 69 years old and also retired. I have a 2008 Silverado and a 2005 Trailblazer. The insurance on both of these vehicles with discounts is $1,850 dollars a year. Is this normal or am I getting gouged and any advice on another insurance company to check out would be greatly appreciated. I told the Allstate representative that after 20 years and no claims I should be getting a safe driver discount not an increase in my policy.

Thanks Steve

DannyW

The best advice I can offer is to shop your policy around every 3-4 years. Most companies seem to give a low teaser rate to new customers to get them on-board, and once they have you then they slowly raise their rates every year knowing that most people won't go to the trouble of changing over a $50-$100 annual increase.

I bet if you call 4-5 other companies for quotes you will find at least one that will offer you a significantly cheaper policy with the same coverage limits. Look for companies that don't spend a lot of money on funny, expensive TV commercials.

Over the years I have had good luck with Safeco, Metropolitan and my current insurer is Auto-Owners. You may not have heard of them because they don't spend a lot of money advertising.

An hour of phone calls could pay off with several hundred dollars in savings.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I am 67 and wife's 65. We have a '12 GMC Sierra x-cab 4sx4 and 2014 Silverado LTZ 4 door. With $300,000 Liability limit.and $500 deductible.
I pay $1200 per year for both. Farm Bureau.

They have paid 3 claims in the last 3 years. Limbs falling during storms and I backed into a light pole. Claims were $6.000 total

westcobbdog

shop around and play with the deductibles. Maybe on 1 car carry liability only, that's what I do. Bundle your home and auto together for further discounts.

GoldDot40

Absolutely shop around. Insurance is never a "one size fits all" deal. A lot of variables go into configuring premiums per person, vehicle, address, etc. Dealing with a local (to you) agent is usually your best bet.

grady white

I am finally fed up with Allstate. It seems like every time it is time to renew my premiums go up. Just got my new six month renewal and the premium went up $50. I need some of your wisdom and advice. I have been with Allstate for over 20 years and thank God have never filed a claim. I am 70 years old retired and my wife is 69 years old and also retired. I have a 2008 Silverado and a 2005 Trailblazer. The insurance on both of these vehicles with discounts is $1,850 dollars a year. Is this normal or am I getting gouged and any advice on another insurance company to check out would be greatly appreciated. I told the Allstate representative that after 20 years and no claims I should be getting a safe driver discount not an increase in my policy.

Thanks Steve

Really hard to beat Auto Owners ...they will save you a lot over Allstate ! pull up their website and find a local agent .

dslc6487

I am 72 years old and I have had several insurance companies down through the years. Liberty Mutual was good to me. I am a veteran and a friend talked me into
USAA. Their commercials sound great. I had the worst experience in my insurance life that I have ever had with USAA. Presently have Auto Owners and they are hard to beat. Very good premium prices and great service. Bundled everything together with them and saved a lot of money and am well satisfied.

A few things to consider:

1. ALWAYS shop at least every other year
2. Do you need full coverage?
3. Why is your deductible less than $1000? (Are you really going to file a $500 insurance claim

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
My wife and I have separate insurance companies........the quotes just seemed to be different and more cost effective this way........we have shopped a bunch and do every 3 years or so. I have been with State Farm for many years including the house, but she just switch from Allstate to Geico(go figure)

so just shop around get different quotes ........I love my State Farm agent in Oakwood!

Reactions: srb

ucfireman

Get the defensive drivers course, AARP offers an online course. Will get you a discount.
I shop every couple of years, Allstate is the highest on cars but their homeowners is lowest. And I was told you had to have car to get he homeowners.
I use Farmers, not farm bureau, I like my agent.
Like others have said, raise the deductible or think about liability only. Especially if you have an old car.
I have a 07 Tacoma Nd 89 dakota, Carry full coverage with 500 deductibles on collisions nd 1000 on comp. I'm 46 And pay around 500 per 6 months. Mine goes up every time too. That's thanks to the insurance commission a few years ago. The insurance companies petioned and won the right to raise rates without having to justify why.

I have owned an agency for almost 30 yrs. As above posters have suggested, AutoOwners is a great company and they are currently one of the most competitively priced out there if you have good credit. I always recommend an independent agent as they can do the shopping for you. We don't have access to every company by any means, but we can shop your coverage among the companies we represent.

As far as rate increases go, cost of repairs increases every year. Cost of liability claims increase every year. Every other commercial is a lawyer wanting to sue for a fender bender. In addition, you are at the age (no offense) at which insurance rates will start creeping back up.

Insurance companies don't really put out a "teaser" rate. It's pretty simple really...they set their rates and write as much business as they can. After a year or two they evaluate their profitability. If they're losing money, they increase their rates; If they are making money, they keep doing what they're doing but adjust for anticipated increasing claims costs. If they are really making money, they might keep their rates the same or even lower them in order to capture more of the market and make more money.

grady white

Not all carriers will give you the defensive driver discount with an online course like AARP ..Auto Owners and some others require a 6 hour course in a class setting or behind the wheel. They won't accept an online defensive driver course ..just FYI before you spend the money on an online course ( depends on the insurance company )

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I have had State Farm since 1985, same original policy number, same Agent. No one can touch them. I get quotes every 4 to 5 years. Have had several claims and never had one minutes trouble.

DannyW

I have had State Farm since 1985, same original policy number, same Agent. No one can touch them. I get quotes every 4 to 5 years. Have had several claims and never had one minutes trouble.

You sir, are exceptionally fortunate. Don't doubt your claim, just very jealous!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
You sir, are exceptionally fortunate. Don't doubt your claim, just very jealous!

When I say no one can touch them, it should be fair to note that that doesn’t mean by price only. Some companies do beat them in price but so far it’s not been enough to make a change worth considering. I’m convinced that longevity pays off.

SF is definitely not the cheapest on my home, but factoring in a multi-line discount and service that I’m comfortable with is enough to stay with them.

Regardless of how "friendly" your insurance agent is, they are not and never will be your "friend". Never pity an insurance agent.

That may be your experience Leon, but I beg to differ. I have sent longtime customers away if I knew that my price was too high. I have found that as long as I treat my customers as friends an do what's in their best interests, I will have a successful business long term. Those folks will inevitably come back to me in the future either because my prices become more competitive again or because they appreciate the service that we provide. On the other hand, if you are going to leave me to save $5 somewhere else, then I'm better off without you anyway.

someguyintraffic

Thanks Steve
My guy told me that with our interstates, congestion, the number one road to die on in the country(285 ) and losses that increase yearly that all insurers will continue to raise premiums due to billions in claims. Shop around. If you have good credit, no losses, and bundle you may find better rates. Shop around.

someguyintraffic

That may be your experience Leon, but I beg to differ. I have sent longtime customers away if I knew that my price was too high. I have found that as long as I treat my customers as friends an do what's in their best interests, I will have a successful business long term. Those folks will inevitably come back to me in the future either because my prices become more competitive again or because they appreciate the service that we provide. On the other hand, if you are going to leave me to save $5 somewhere else, then I'm better off without you anyway.
My agent reviews 6 month and yearly renewals for me and always tries to save me to keep my biz.