AWD vs 4WD

SWAMPFOX

Is all wheel drive the same as four wheel drive (4x4)? I'm in the market for a four wheel drive SUV and see some being offered as all wheel drive but there is no indication of an extra stick to down shift into 4x4.
Thanks

Gator89

No, not the same thing. Think of AWD as a type of full time 4WD. There may or may not be a button to push to lock the differential.

Four x four, you choose 2, 4hi or 4lo, stick (manual shift) or button, knob, etc. if electric shift.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Is all wheel drive the same as four wheel drive (4x4)? I'm in the market for a four wheel drive SUV and see some being offered as all wheel drive but there is no indication of an extra stick to down shift into 4x4.
Thanks

YouTube has videos showing the difference, they're not the same. My wife's Mercedes SUV is AWD and it's more for high speed handling.

fireman1501

Yea we had a AWD mercury mountaineer. That thing would wear tires out like something terrible. Want ever own another one.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
In my case, I have both.
Mitsubishi Super Select

Fwiw, Switching on AWD on a rainy day, gives an instant feel of control up front. I also tow using AWD, really stabilizes the rig. Locking center differential distributes engine power 50/50 front to rear, and the low, locked center, gives you the feeling you could climb a tree if you had the traction.

transfixer

With AWD you have to keep an eye on your tires, make sure they all have the same amount of air, and you have to change out all four tires when replacing, all the tires have to have the same circumference, or you can damage your transfer case/pto unit, so basically if you blow one tire after only 15k miles on a set, you are going to need to replace all of them, or be able to match the wear on the remaing 3 .

Being AWD you also may have to replace/repair the transfer case/pto unit at some point, as it works all the time, i.e. Ford Edge awd's have had an issue with their pto unit ever since that vehicle hit the road.

From a technicians point of view, a 4wd capable of part time use makes more sense for most people.

GunnSmokeer

My Honda CR-V has AWD, although they also made 4WD versions too.
The way a Honda shop guy explained it to me, their AWD system is computer controlled, and if the computer senses wheel slippage, it will use electromagnets to engage the drive systems for the other wheels. When it's not needed, almost no extra parts are turning and giving extra friction in the system.

I do know that my little SUV gets 34 mph highway (and not puttering along at 55 on perfectly flat roads, either. I'm talking 65-75 on the hills of north Georgia).

But, I also know that I got stuck driving a short distance down a pine-needle covered "driveway" through the woods that was no problem for real part-time 4x4 vehicles. There was no mud, and only a slight slope to the terrain, but there were lumps in the ground (like moguls on a ski slope) and only 2 wheels had good ground contact, and those wouldn't go. They wouldn't spin, either. The vehicle was just locked in place.
I had to use a come-along and hand-crank it 20 feet to flatter, less lumpy ground.

SWAMPFOX

Based on input here I'm gonna stick with 4wd. AWD seems a bit too complexicated for me. And I have heard from many sources that AWD is rough on tires. Thanks.

Reactions: Dub

GunnSmokeer

I did have to tow a broken-down 4x4 pickup out of a small patch of muddy grass the other day. My AWD Honda CRV was on gravel, 20 feet away. At first my tires spun for half a rotation, then I heard a "clunk" and all the wheels (I think) got going together. I can't say which of the 4 wheels got the power distributed to them, but it was enough to pull that truck up a muddy slope and onto the gravel road.