AX?

NMH5050

I found this at my Grandpa's house while cleaning it out. He could have bought it somewhere or someone gave it to him. I wanted to find out if you all think it is real or a replica and what type of rock it is. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 129

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I can not answer your question but congratulations on your find.

I am sorry that you have had to clean out your Grandpa's house. That is usually a sad time.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don`t recall ever seeing an original pecked and ground grooved ax that shape, but that doesn`t mean anything. Whether original or repro, it is really nice.

The material looks like diabase.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think it’s more of a maul for breaking up hard soils. Not a material that would sharpen enough for a ax.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think it’s more of a maul for breaking up hard soils. Not a material that would sharpen enough for a ax.

It will take a good edge, but they weren`t made to be used like a modern ax is. They were effective though and got the job done.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Was it a weapon too?

It could be. My brother found a beautiful little polished celt on the homeplace that was a little less than 4 inches long with and 1 and 1/2 inch bit. I figure that one was a weapon. Hafted on a handle, say 3 feet long, and it would have done some awful damage.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Nic on the diabase material. You don't see a lot of reproductions of pecked/ground axes, because it's too much work. I made exactly one of them. And it took me forever.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’ve seen one like it but a little different. They had it ages and was used like the 15,000 years ago. Like by the Clovis Indians.
That one I seen was way bigger and was said to be used like a sledge hammer.
That one had a use I’m sure. Thanks for sharing.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Could of been a weapon of mass destruction for that time. Hitting them big turtles in the head. ?