Back at home eats.....

Dub

Visited my family in ENC this past weekend.

My son and nephew cooked us up a batch of thick ribeyes on Dad's Weber gasser. We'd mixed up a batch of Paymaster's steak marinade that morning and had 'em soaking all day. Mom & Sis made up a batch of twice baked potatoes that were crazy good. Sis was telling me about them ahead of time and then I watched her make them.....essentially she baked potatoes...hollowed out the skins and made cheesy mashed potatoes and put them back in the skins. What was funny is that her family didn't eat the skins.....made me wonder why she bothers with preparing them that way. :rofl:

I didn't get much in the way of food pics of the family meals due to there being too much in motion at all times....with the kids, three dogs running around and so much in the mix.

Did get one pic of some Pete Jone's Starlight Inn BBQ that Dad had picked up for us as we were driving up to his home. Made for a wonderful dinner.....pulled/chopped pork and chicken breast. It's my favorite bbq restaurant and I am always wanting to step up my grillin' game when I have it. Their flatbread cornbread and sweet slaw go together like a Mike Tyson combo punch. I truly appreciated the meal and can't wait to do another run myself. I need to figure out how to make the cornbread like they do....it's very, very dense and it soaks up just the right amount of the slaw juice on the plate to flavor it perfectly. One bite and I was a kid again eating that good stuff. I'm glad that Pete's grandson, Sam, is making a great run with the restaurant and has opened up another location nearby and it's doing really well.

Teenage T-Rex & his mom, my bride of the past 25 years.

I was on hand in case the boys had any grillin questions and to make sure the Modelo suds were properly enjoyed. While seated there I was secretly trying to conjure up a way to make off with my sister's Lab. Absolutely wonderful dog. Super intelligent and sweet as the day is long. Later on at dinner I made sure to sneak her two rolls and 1/3 my ribeye. She'd come by my chair and I'd sneak her a piece. I didn't think anyone saw me doing so....but Dad caught us. Super dog.

My bride and my brother-in-law having out with us and enjoying a reprieve from the rain (ENC has been getting similar weather as us). My brother-in-law was helping me out with the Modelo's......and I think he figured out I was trying to make off with his super Labrador.

My nephew is a real active young man.....very involved in Scouting and getting all his stuff done to make Eagle Scout, soccer & basketball, amazing piano player and is into cross country track. There is a cross country track/trail in walking distance of their home and he takes the Lab along with him all the time. They wear each other out. The Lab goes everywhere with their family.....it's gonna be difficult for her when they go to one of his track meets and she's not allowed to run with him. :rofl:

As we were driving back yesterday, my son raised the subject of supper plans......what was planned. I told him I didn't really have any plans. We'd eaten wonderful bbq and steaks all weekend...along with some bigtime country breakfusses......how's soup & sandwich sound ? He wasn't too enthused.

On the way into town we hit up Publix.....I was wanting catfish...but flounder was what we compromised with.

Made some onion-cheddar hush puppies, onion rings and the filets along with some store bought slaw.

It was a quick and easy meal that hit the spot.

Sometimes we hit the coast on these ENC trips , but not this time.....so getting some type of seafood seemed a fitting way to end the trip.

Grateful for the weekend and finding everyone in reasonably good health and thoroughly enjoyed the time together.

Although I wasn't successful in making off with the Labrador.....my wife & T-Rex were absolutely smitten with her. She's still a pup yet is so well behaved. They understand that a lot of that is her energy outlet from keeping up with those kids.

My wife has now given me the green light to get a lab.....then a year or two later add another. I'm thinking of moving the knee replacement date up six months so I can up and after my bird dog dreams sooner.

Dub

Craving some fried fish!!

Man, I love it. Fresh & hot.

I'm gonna get my hands on some shrimp & oysters later on this week and do them, too. Ketchup, hot sauce, garlic and a pile of horseradish will be mixed together for a cocktail dipping sauce for the shrimp.

I'm a hyooge fan of House-Autry seafood breading mix....it works great and flavors it just right....at least in my opinion. House-Autry products & Texas Pete were staples from as long I can remember growing up. My wife says the same thing....her father was a tremendous outdoorsman and was always cooking fresh fish & game. He always used it, too, she says.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Nice lookin family sir! Food looks good too!

Y'all be high rollin in that swanky subdivided neighborhood!?

Reactions: Dub

Dub

LOL. My parents sold their coastal home and moved inland.....bought a little place almost within walking distance of my sister's home. It's mainly a one floor deal that they thought out well for as they age. Close proximity to all their doctors and such. No yard to maintain and no worries.

Wife made the comment she wanted to move to a similar place, but much closer to Raleigh, NC. I told her no way, no how.....I want to live 15 miles from the nearest democrat and at least 3 miles from everyone else. Next house will have to a very large garage with at least one drive through door.....large patio out back with a hot tub.....and place to set up clay pigeon thrower. Must be a short drive to hunting club and close to a river/lake.

Aside from those requirements I'm wide open to possibilities. :rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that looks good!

Rural eastern NC is a little slice of heaven. Raleigh is a cesspool.

GA1dad

Visited my family in ENC this past weekend.

My son and nephew cooked us up a batch of thick ribeyes on Dad's Weber gasser. We'd mixed up a batch of Paymaster's steak marinade that morning and had 'em soaking all day. Mom & Sis made up a batch of twice baked potatoes that were crazy good. Sis was telling me about them ahead of time and then I watched her make them.....essentially she baked potatoes...hollowed out the skins and made cheesy mashed potatoes and put them back in the skins. What was funny is that her family didn't eat the skins.....made me wonder why she bothers with preparing them that way. :rofl:

I didn't get much in the way of food pics of the family meals due to there being too much in motion at all times....with the kids, three dogs running around and so much in the mix.

Did get one pic of some Pete Jone's Starlight Inn BBQ that Dad had picked up for us as we were driving up to his home. Made for a wonderful dinner.....pulled/chopped pork and chicken breast. It's my favorite bbq restaurant and I am always wanting to step up my grillin' game when I have it. Their flatbread cornbread and sweet slaw go together like a Mike Tyson combo punch. I truly appreciated the meal and can't wait to do another run myself. I need to figure out how to make the cornbread like they do....it's very, very dense and it soaks up just the right amount of the slaw juice on the plate to flavor it perfectly. One bite and I was a kid again eating that good stuff. I'm glad that Pete's grandson, Sam, is making a great run with the restaurant and has opened up another location nearby and it's doing really well.

Teenage T-Rex & his mom, my bride of the past 25 years.

I was on hand in case the boys had any grillin questions and to make sure the Modelo suds were properly enjoyed. While seated there I was secretly trying to conjure up a way to make off with my sister's Lab. Absolutely wonderful dog. Super intelligent and sweet as the day is long. Later on at dinner I made sure to sneak her two rolls and 1/3 my ribeye. She'd come by my chair and I'd sneak her a piece. I didn't think anyone saw me doing so....but Dad caught us. Super dog.

My bride and my brother-in-law having out with us and enjoying a reprieve from the rain (ENC has been getting similar weather as us). My brother-in-law was helping me out with the Modelo's......and I think he figured out I was trying to make off with his super Labrador.

My nephew is a real active young man.....very involved in Scouting and getting all his stuff done to make Eagle Scout, soccer & basketball, amazing piano player and is into cross country track. There is a cross country track/trail in walking distance of their home and he takes the Lab along with him all the time. They wear each other out. The Lab goes everywhere with their family.....it's gonna be difficult for her when they go to one of his track meets and she's not allowed to run with him. :rofl:

As we were driving back yesterday, my son raised the subject of supper plans......what was planned. I told him I didn't really have any plans. We'd eaten wonderful bbq and steaks all weekend...along with some bigtime country breakfusses......how's soup & sandwich sound ? He wasn't too enthused.

On the way into town we hit up Publix.....I was wanting catfish...but flounder was what we compromised with.

Made some onion-cheddar hush puppies, onion rings and the filets along with some store bought slaw.

It was a quick and easy meal that hit the spot.

Sometimes we hit the coast on these ENC trips , but not this time.....so getting some type of seafood seemed a fitting way to end the trip.

Grateful for the weekend and finding everyone in reasonably good health and thoroughly enjoyed the time together.

Although I wasn't successful in making off with the Labrador.....my wife & T-Rex were absolutely smitten with her. She's still a pup yet is so well behaved. They understand that a lot of that is her energy outlet from keeping up with those kids.

My wife has now given me the green light to get a lab.....then a year or two later add another. I'm thinking of moving the knee replacement date up six months so I can up and after my bird dog dreams sooner.

Good times,, good food,, great post!!!

MOTS

Fine post, fine family! I heard of that Pete Jones BBQ before but I think it was from you on here.

Dub

Thanks.

Tasty grub at every turn this past weekend.

Man, that looks good!

Rural eastern NC is a little slice of heaven. Raleigh is a cesspool.

Thank you. Agreed on Raleigh.

She's smitten with their shopping and such.

I want to be far enough away to live in/near woods and fields with the local dark soil that is so glorious.

I want a yard that butts up to some woods that I can hunt....and a backyard-field that I can shoot in.

A nice garden out beyond the hot-tub & grills would complete the deal.

It all looks awesome!

Thank you, sir.

Good times,, good food,, great post!!!

Thanks, JD. It was a nice weekend. I was mighty grateful to get home and see everyone.

Made me miss 'em even more.

I gotta get back closer to them.....soon.

Fine post, fine family! I heard of that Pete Jones BBQ before but I think it was from you on here.

Thank you very much.

So grateful for my family. All the kids are doing splendidly.

It's the gold standard for my pulled-chopped pork.

Speaking of kids.....I had some hongry college kids swarm my kitchen a few minutes ago.

I doubled the amounts for a batch of Spicy Queso.....and there is less than half left now. :rofl:

Also cooked a batch of brats for my son....knowing he'd likely be the only one eating them.

Stuff is disappearing fast.......was hoping for some dip and maybe a brat during the National Championship game tonight.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'll take one of those brats and some queso too, please!

Was that Orange or Red I saw in those Brats?? :biggrin2:

While I spent six years in Germany scarfing down Brats at an alarming rate, yours look right up there with them!!
:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Last edited:

Dub

I'll take one of those brats and some queso too, please!

Done.....I believe there is plenty for us to split and make a decent meal outa it. :rofl:

Was that Orange or Red I saw in those Brats?? :biggrin2:

While I spent six years in Germany scarfing down Brats at an alarming rate, yours look right up there with them!! :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Great eye......the red was the hot sauce.

This batch was easy......a large onion sliced.....some olive oil.....and a good dose of roostershire sauce.....the brats.....then hit the works with some Crystal hot sauce.

350 degree oven until they probed 165+.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Have Mercy!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome eats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dub

Was too involved watching the game last night to eat.

Finally got my brat.......for breakfast this morning.

Cheese, caramelized onions, beer mustard and sauerkraut on a sausage roll. Hit the spot !!