Back Surgery

rjcruiser

Discectomy or fusion?

Don't trust what the doctor says about what it will do. There's a 50% chance it will relieve pain (which means their's a 50% chance it won't).

Wife had a fusion about 4 years ago and still struggles with pain. Surgeon promised her the moon...and not too much changed.

That being said, Dr. Woppart (sp?) up in Athens is one of the top Neurosurgeons when it comes to the back.

WayneB

go get a second, second opinion.
been cut too many times for near no relief.
Unless you have a fractured vertebra as I did, exhaust every. single. other. avenue...

Wife had neck fusion 8 years ago, solved one issue and created others.

common complaints after back or neck surgeries is bone pain immediately after, then with atmospheric changes forever afterwards.
FWIW; my last and most successful surgery was performed by a sports injury ortho and nuero team. You can't interview or research your doc enough.

Hillbilly stalker

They are all different. Biggest decision I ever made. I suffered for nearly 20 years. Had to retire because of it after 23 years. A couple surgeon's told me it was to early . I got a lot worse, couldn't do anything hardly. I found the right Doctor, he looked at my MRI and said" I can help you". I had my surgery 5 years ago (fused L4-L5-S1). Today I don't even take aspirin and haven't for years. I have 4 rods, 6 screws and 2 cages. Other than bending over like a old man, I'm fine. Same Doc fused my wife's and she is fine. every one is different. I would have mine done again tonight, but I understand I am the exception. I hunt 6-8 times a week and can walk most skinny fellows in the ground. They have came a long way with medical procedures. My Doc was in Charlotte NC. Pm me if you would like his info. I wish you well.

Firescooby

Dr Grunch in Gainesville

Dad just had surgery by her. Better call tomorrow, shes about 3-4 months out at least for appointment.

She was the only one doing actual disc replacement with newer style.

panfish

I had back surgery at 18 bad disc. Had it again at 38 by sports surgeon. Best thing I ever did. I'm 53 steal dragging deer.. I would recommend a sports surgeon..

ol bob

Get a second opinion then get two more, I was told when I was 28 that I would never work again and had to surgery to be able to walk found the right Doctor I'm 73 and never had surgery also still working.

basstrkr

Thanks

For all the responses. It's a very hard decision, going for 2 nd opinion this week to Dr Lawhorn in Vidalia.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I just had L-5 S-1 fusion. So, it is too early to judge mine. But wanted to add Prayers for you.

That said,the first four weeks of recovery was ruff. But now I am much better and the pain in my legs is gone. I still have numbness in my left foot and I have arthritic pain that the surgery won't help.

basstrkr

Thanks again for everyones response but I wanted to add this addition story. I don't usually trust TV ads but: I called the Laser Spine institute this morning ("Saturday") and they were very helpful. They will contact my MRI and Mylogram providers, review and get me an additional opinion.
They are the third opinion I will get and second to talk about a minimal invasive technique that require one night stays in the hospital and two week recovery times.

Hillbilly stalker

Good luck man, please read the reviews about them before you make your decision . I wish you well. A lot of walking was the answer to my recovery, I was back to work in 6 weeks. Here's what mine looks like. I don't even take a aspirin . I drag deer all the time pain free.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 284

Big7

The Oracle
My XGF has had a few on her back and one knee replacement.

Make sure you can get pain meds. She was going to a pain clinic for a while.
They want you to take spinal injections so they can charge
your insurance $2500.00 a pop. (not a typo)

So, her "regular" doctor took over her pain management.
She's been seeing him 25 years.

He told her a month ago that she would need to find another Doc after Jan. 1.,
because her meds would require 2 signatures and was not going to add another Doc to his practice.

So, all this "opiod crises" crap will do four things:

1) Folks that need them legit will have to jump
through more hoops.

2) The "skreet" value will go way up.

3) The one's that are just trying to get "high"
will be doing MORE heroin and Chinese fentanyl.

4) Crime will go up.

Rant over. Maybe I'll start another thread.

Hope whatever you do comes out good
and you can get some relief.

Mexican Squealer

For all the responses. It's a very hard decision, going for 2 nd opinion this week to Dr Lawhorn in Vidalia.

Dr. Lawhorn did mine last year. He is a GREAT Dr. and my results have been outstanding. I saw many before seeing him and can not say enough good things about him. Good luck

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Dr. Rhee at Emory really helped my wife. He teaches, lectures in addition to surgery

She had bone spurs in her spine and the first surgeon was going to go the minimally invasive route and after Dr. Rhee's explanation, she opted for the 4" incision. He got in there and was able to see the things an MRI didn't show and now all her pain is gone. Just a little bit of numbness, but for the most part, she's walking miles every day now. In March, she couldn't walk 100 yards and her surgery was in May.

She was back to work in 4 weeks.

dslc6487

I sure do agree with Big 7. Rather than having the patient be responsible for taking meds as they should, the government has to get involved in it and start regulating it. And those of us that do take opioid meds occasionally will not be able to get it. The docs will just tell us to take Tylenol, which for me, is a waste of money and time. It does me absolutely no good. However those in gov. that are making these decisions will be able to get theirs.

As far as the back surgery, I would definitely get a second opinion. Where I worked before I retired, I handled Workers Comp., and our industry involved heavy physical work. We had employees with back problems quite often. Of those that had back surgery, the recovery was a toss up. Half were a lot better and were able to go back to work. The other half, received no relief at all and continued to have to remain out of work. So, good luck in your decision and if you do agree to have the surgery, I hope for you the best.

basstrkr

Thanks

For your response and well wishes.

I've have gotten three opinions all are very similar but the minimum invasive technique makes the most sense to me because of the short recovery time.
I'm in the 10% of people that have fractured vertebrae in their low backs which probably occurrs during childhood and remains unnoticed until you get older and some arthritis sets in.

Thanks again.