Backing up WinXP OS

thomasr

I've had this laptop for a while ( I got it new) but I never took the time to burn the backup CDs of the Operating system. A screen popped up once before and asked me if I wanted to do it then, but I didn't have the required DVD+ CDs on hand to do it, so I said no. Now that I'm ready to do it...I don't know where to go to do it!!! Where is this option at???? Thanks in advance

Mr W.

Go to Control Panel->System and Maintenance-> Back up your computer->Back up files

thomasr

I don't have a "maintenance" option after system. There is no backup option in the system folder. Thanks

DSGB

The Windows Backup utility can be located by going to the Start menu -->All Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Backup.

thomasr

I guess I'm asking my question badly. I know how to backup files and do a system backup. Let me try this way. My desk top PC did not come with an operating system CD-ROM. It came preloaded. After it had run for a while a window pops up and asks me if I would like to create the operating system CDs...in case I ever have to reload my OS from scratch. They were called OS backups. The first time it did this I didn't have the CD-Rs on hand to create the OS backups. I got them....then a few days later that window pops up again and asks me if I wanted to create my OS backups. This time I did.
Now to my laptop...after it had run for a while the window popped up asking me if I'd like to create my OS backup CDs. Like the first time, I didn't have any blank CD-ROMs on hand so had to say no. I got some blanks now but that window has never popped up again asking me if I wanted to create them...it's now been several months. It popped up once and only once. So now I'm looking at how to do it manually, so to speak. My laptop is a Lenovo, but it's not really one of their standard loads...it was a special configuration to go along with a distance learning course I was taking ...the laptop was part of the deal. I went to the Lenovo website and researched this same thing but their site says to use their utility call "Thinkvantage" but I must have the "Lite" version because the Thinkvantage I have looks nothing like the one on the website. I've asked the question of their tech-support but so far their just referring me to the standard instructions which don't apply in my case. I get the distinct feeling that English is not their techs first language.
So, I'm trying to create my OS CDs...any help/advice now? Thanks for the trys.

merc123

Your talking about the system restore disk...

1. Create Rescue Media or Product Recovery CD

Go to “All Programs > ThinkVantage > Create Rescue and Recovery Media. Then select your desirable type of rescue media. To create recovery CD, check the “Create a set of Product Recovery Discs now” and then click “OK” to start the creation process.

You will need about 7 cds or 1 cd and 1 dvd for the product recovery cd. And you also need to have CDRW or DVDRW drive. An external USB driver will do the job too as alternative.

Don't worry about the screenshots not looking the same as long as it does the same thing.

thomasr

That's just it...“All Programs > ThinkVantage > Create Rescue and Recovery Media...well, create rescue recovery media is not there! Not an option. That's what the techs online keep telling me to do but that option is not visible. I even got my 12 yo son to come check behind me..he confirmed...it's not there! This version of XP is obviously a different build. I don't have Thinkvantage on my desktop and I did my back up through a standard windows function (best I can remember) and that is not an option on my laptop. I'm confused.

DSGB

What is the machine type-model number on your laptop? It will be seven characters and located on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. (ex. 8113-F4U)

DSGB

You can download the ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery software from the Lenovo site. I can give you a direct link to the download, but I need to know what machine type-model you have.

thomasr

Thanks DSGB...I'm not ignoring you, I've just been busy. When I get home I'll give it a check. Thanks again.