Bad Bad Sitchiation

Skipper

Banned
My game warden buddy just stopped by on business and to remind me about the NWTF meeting tonight and LKS Federation/CVSL Meeting Monday.

He was telling me a tale about a deal with a trapper. The more he told, the more people I recognized. Turns out I've got all parties involved insured. It seems the trapper was trapping on 2 guys property for coyotes that they wanted away from their cattle. He managed to catch 4 of the neighbors uncollared dogs in the traps. 4 dead dogs later, and the 3 landowners and 1 trapper have a problem. ::gone: It sounds to me as if both the trapper and dog owner are at fault. Dogs should have been kept on their own place, and the trapper should have turned the dogs loose as opposed to shoot them. :whip:

It sounds as if it could get UGLY for all involved.

Skipper

GeauxLSU

It's been :whip: to death but it's always funny how upset people get when something happens to their uncollared running LOOSE dogs. If they get hit by cars I guess that's OK though? ::huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

ufg8r93

I'm with Phil on this one...

If you have an uncollared dog roaming around on someone else's property (and in this case, mostly certainly molesting the farmer's livestock) and they dispose of said dog, more power to 'em. Even my dog-lovin' buddy believes this to be reasonable.

What ever happened to our society's conception of responsibility and consequences? Don't they go hand-in-hand with freedom/liberty?

Does sound like it's going to be a bad day to be in the insurance biz, tho.

Slug-Gunner

Open Mouth.... Insert Foot!

If one must take "drastic measures" to protect one's family members, livestock or property from damage from dogs allowed to "run loose" (irresponsible pet ownership), then you shouldn't go around talking about what "you had to do".

Do what "YOU HAVE TO DO", BURY THE EVIDENCE, AND KEEP "QUIET"!

When I first moved into my house in 1978, one of the first 10 residents in the first houses built in the subdivision, we had packs of "wild dogs" running loose constantly. On several occassions my wife and children were "menaced" by them. One day while at work I got a call from my wife, who informed me that my 3 yr old boy had been bitten on the arm (it broke the skin) by one of the strays and it was still in the yard. I asked her if it had a collar on and she said, "No." I then explained to her how to get my loaded .22 out of my locked closet, how to operate the safety (was ready to fire when she could see the "red band"), etc. I told her to open the back door, put the gun to her shoulder, look thru the scope and place the crosshairs on the dogs shoulder, push the safety off, and pull the trigger slowly while keeping the crosshairs on the dogs shoulder area. She put the phone down and I waited for several minutes, and finally heard the "pop" when she fired. She came back on the phone and said she had shot it. It "yiped" and ran about 20 ft and fell over. I told her to wait about 15 min to give it enough time to die before she approached it. I told her to take the gun with her when she went to check it, and if it wasn't dead, shoot it in the chest again but NOT IN THE HEAD (we needed to have the head in good shape to test for rabies). I told her if it was dead to cover it up with an empty box until I got home to take care of it after work. I took the dog to the Animal Control, explained what had happened, and they had the head removed and sent to Atlanta for examination. Since it would take over 24 hrs to do the testing, I had to take my son to the hospital to begin taking the "Rabies Series" that night. This was the "old" type rabies shots and it took 3 adult males to hold that 3 yr old down when they gave him the first series of shots around the abdomen. The test came back POSITIVE and I had to watch him, in agony, take the whole series of shots in his stomach area.

After that, I "Declared War" on all the strays in the area. If they came into my yard and didn't have a collar, I'd first try to call them to me or coax them to me with food. If they would come to me and I could get a rope on them, I'd chain them to a tree in my front yard next to the street to give the owner a chance to claim them. If not claimed by the next day, I'd call Animal Control and have them picked up as a "stray". Usually though, a true wild "stray" would try to run away, and.... "Bang!". Dig a 2-3 ft deep hole in the back corner of my yard and dispose of it quietly. If someone came around asking if I'd seen a certain type of dog running loose, I'd say, "NO!, but that neighbors around here tended to shoot strays without collars ever since some children had gotten bitten by them. If they had pets that they cared about, not to let them run loose."

BTW: The "stray dog" population is almost NON-EXISTANT now. ;)

I have 5 dogs of my own, and they are "under control" at ALL TIMES. If I'm out working in the yard and they're loose, they stay in the yard and won't leave it, even if someone is walking their dog down the street. My next door neighbor, whose dogs jump the fence or dig out, has been to court over it and it cost her $800 the first time. Yesterday, two of her dogs chased a jogger and they called the Sheriff on her again. They took 2 of her dogs to Animal Control and she was given a citation again.... maybe a $1600 fine will get her attention.

:rolleyes: :mad: :shoot: :shoot: :confused: ::huh: ;)

Last edited:

GeauxLSU

Slug-Gunner said:
The test came back POSITIVE and I had to watch him, in agony, take the whole series of shots in his stomach area.
:eek: Everyone's worst nightmare! Good thing you did what you did! It's incredible how irresponsible some otherwise seemingly intelligent people are, when it comes to pet ownership. :rolleyes: ::huh: :confused:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil