Baiting clarification

35 Whelen

2018 - 2019 Hunting Regulations

BAITING Bait: corn, wheat, other grains, salts, apples, and other feed that has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered so as to constitute a lure, attraction, or enticement to game animals or game birds.

IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR ANY PERSON TO:
•Hunt any game animal (except as noted below) or game bird upon, over, around, or near bait.
•Hunt any area for a period of 10 days following complete removal of all bait.
•Hunt any big game or feral hog over bait or place bait on any State or Federal managed lands.
•Place bait in a manner that will cause hunting on an adjacent property to be prohibited. Taking of any big game over bait is subject to a fine of $5,000 and/or imprisonment up to 12 months.

NEW EXCEPTIONS FOR DEER: •Deer may be hunted over or near any bait on private lands in all counties, provided the hunter has written permission from the landowner. It is unlawful to hunt deer over bait or place bait on any state or federally managed lands.

EXCEPTIONS FOR FERAL HOGS (STATEWIDE): •Feral hogs may be hunted over or near bait on private lands year round in every county provided that the bait is not placed within 50 yards of any property ownership boundary. •Placing bait for hogs may make a property (or portion of a property) un-huntable for other species, such as turkeys. Hunters are urged to communicate with others who may hunt other species on or near an area where baiting for deer or hogs is being considered.

Triton Mike

BAITING Bait: corn, wheat, other grains, salts, apples, and other feed that has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered so as to constitute a lure, attraction, or enticement to game animals or game birds.

•Hunt any game animal (except as noted below) or game bird upon, over, around, or near bait.
•Hunt any big game or feral hog over bait or place bait on any State or Federal managed lands.
•Place bait in a manner that will cause hunting on an adjacent property to be prohibited. Taking of any big game over bait is subject to a fine of $5,000 and/or imprisonment up to 12 months.

NEW EXCEPTIONS FOR DEER: •Deer may be hunted over or near any bait on private lands in all counties, provided the hunter has written permission from the landowner. It is unlawful to hunt deer over bait or place bait on any state or federally managed lands.

EXCEPTIONS FOR FERAL HOGS (STATEWIDE): •Feral hogs may be hunted over or near bait on private lands year round in every county provided that the bait is not placed within 50 yards of any property ownership boundary. •Placing bait for hogs may make a property (or portion of a property) un-huntable for other species, such as turkeys. Hunters are urged to communicate with others who may hunt other species on or near an area where baiting for deer or hogs is being considered.

@35 Whelen, That is our discussion how do you define Over, around, or near bait as stated in the first bullet point?

35 Whelen

27-3-27. Unlawful use of bear bait
(a) It is unlawful to use any type of bait to concentrate the bear population in any area or to lure them to any location which gives or might give a hunter an unnatural advantage when hunting bear.
(b) Any person violating the provisions of this Code section is guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature and, upon conviction, may be punished by a fine of not less than $500.00 and not to exceed $5,000.00 or by confinement for a term not to exceed 12 months, or both.

lampern

Clear as mud that language is.

Buckman18

Clear as mud that language is.

Georgia residents understand it perfectly. You cannot legally harvest a bear over bait in Georgia. What else needs to be clarified?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Triton Mike

(a) It is unlawful to use any type of bait to concentrate the bear population in any area or to lure them to any location which gives or might give a hunter an unnatural advantage when hunting bear.
(b) Any person violating the provisions of this Code section is guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature and, upon conviction, may be punished by a fine of not less than $500.00 and not to exceed $5,000.00 or by confinement for a term not to exceed 12 months, or both.

that doesn't answer my question. Define over, under, around.. I get the point of the law but the law isn't clear and leaves room for interpretation. If you drive 55mph in a 50mph speed limit you get a ticket. If you have a .08 level of alcohol and the law says your illegal if you have .07 you get a ticket. Whats over, under and around? Put a yardage on it just like they did with the deer law previously..

35 Whelen

What part of "ANY AREA" or "ANY LOCATION" is hard to understand?

lampern

Taking of any big game over bait is subject to a fine of $5,000 and/or imprisonment up to 12 months.

I guess this phrase is what bothers me. Baiting for deer is clearly legal as we all know

lampern

that doesn't answer my question. Define over, under, around.. I get the point of the law but the law isn't clear and leaves room for interpretation. If you drive 55mph in a 50mph speed limit you get a ticket. If you have a .08 level of alcohol and the law says your illegal if you have .07 you get a ticket. Whats over, under and around? Put a yardage on it just like they did with the deer law previously..

There is a law on the books that puts a 200 yardage distance for turkey and bear.

But as pointed out, there is another law dealing just with bears.

Why two laws dealing with bear baiting?

Why isn't the DNR calling for one law dealing with prohibitions on baiting bear?

Last edited:

Buckman18

There is a law on the books that puts a 200 yardage distance for turkey and bear.

But as pointed out, there is another law dealing just with bears.

Why two laws dealing with bear baiting?

Why isn't the DNR calling for one law dealing with prohibitions on baiting bear?

Both laws would be interpreted by the judge to have the exact same meaning, which is: It is illegal to harvest bears in Georgia over bait.

Please advise if further explanation is needed.

Rulo

With it being legal to bait deer..and the limit at 12..............why do we even need even 1/2 the Game Wardens that we have today?

What are they going to Police now? Talk about a waste of tax payers money......

Dsherrer711

Although I think there will definitely be some difficulties with enforcement of the new baiting law when it comes to hunting bears on private land in North GA, I think the law is pretty clear the way it is.

I have one issue though.

As previously mentioned, the bear baiting specific law is stated as follows:

My issue is, if this is a state law, and it is, how do the clubs in south GA get away with tractor trailer loads of peanut butter filled 55 gallon drums placed at the intersection of every woods road in their area?

I have no problem following the letter of the law and have a lot of respect for our DNR and the job they do but this one makes no sense to me. I have spoken to several officers on the topic and the best answer I’ve gotten is “that’s just the way it is down there” and “it’s just been done that way for a long time down here.” As if it’s just some gentleman’s agreement behind the scenes in the southern region or a don’t ask don’t tell kinda thing. I have nothing against the hunters down there and the way they hunt whether it’s still hunting, spot n stalk, running dogs (by far the most common) or whatever they choose. I just don’t understand, if it’s a STATE law then it should be enforced across the entire state, right???

35 Whelen

There is no mention of 200 yards here:

JackSprat

If you are charged with reckless driving, the offense depends on the circumstances at the time. Driving at the posted speed limit can be "reckless" in a cloudburst.

Looks to me that you will have to be willing to bet $500 every time you shoot a bear over bait that that's not what you were doing.

humdandy

Banned
I would just use "deer bait" instead of "beer bait". problem solved.....?