Balistic Tips?? pros and cons??

Arrow3

I have always shot cheap ammo in m deer rifle....This year I decided to buy some better bullets....I bought a box of Federal Premium Nosler Partition balistic tips in 130 gr. for my 270...I shot 4 rounds through and they grouped great.....Whats your take on them??

awfull AWFULL AWFULL DID I MEANTION AWFULL THEY ARE ACURATE BUT IM GONNA GO AHEAD AND TELL YA URE GONNA LOSE SOME DEER FROM THAT BULLET IF U CONTINUE TO SHOOT IT BELIEVE ME I KNOW IF I WERE U I WOULD SHOOT A REMINGTON CORE-LOKT THERE AINT AS BETTER BULLET I PROMISE!!!

grayhill

good choice....

I've shot ballistic tips for years and never had any problem. They are extremely acurate and have great killing power, very few deer I've shot have ever taken a step. So they're not so awful.....

Buck_Ridge

A+

I would have to agree with Grayhill. I also have used ballistic tips for years now, both factory and reloads and have never been disapointed with them. I'm kind of lazy so I don't like my deer to walk very far after a shot. The most important thing to remember is shot placement!!!! :shoot:

whatman

go back

go back to regullar bullets. ballistic tips leave no blood trail. they explode inside and do not exit. if your deer does not drop on the spot you will not find it.

Randy

Arrow,
Your post says "partition ballistic tips" Partitions and ballistic tips are two different animals but both are great bulletts. I shoot 140 gr. ballstic tips in my 7mm-08 and have neverlost a deer. In fact most go down immediately. You should keep them under 3000 fps. With the 270 you should be OK.

Buford_Dawg

Arrow3

I tried them in my .270 about 6 years ago. I lost 2 fine bucks with them the first 2 shots with them. The bullets seemed to explode on impact and did NOT leave any blood trail even though I could see a hole in both shoulders. Turns out, apparently you do NOT want to shot one in the shoulder with a ballistic tip as I was informed on this forum. You need to aim just behind the shoulder. I immediately went back to my Rem Core Lokts and have been happy ever since. I

duke13

In my .270, Nosler ballistic tips group very well. I used them the first year I bought the rifle.(2 seasons ago) Shot 7 deer with them. All shoulder shots. I had to track everyone. Some as many as 200+ yards. I won't use them again. One of the biggest bucks I ever shot was with a 30-06 ballistic tip, 30 yards broadside...... lost him!
They do tremendous damage but the deer don't fall for some reason! ::huh:

I changed to Barnes X bullets. I have only shot one deer(so far) with them but he fell on the spot!

Bowhunter24

They shoot exellent groups out of my gun, but im not gonna shoot them out of my encore for hunting, i use to use them with my 30.06 and if the deer didnt drop they would leave very long blood trails. So i switched back to the remington cor lock psp and been completly satsified. They shoot great and if the deer does not drop on the spot they only run about 50-60yds. So thast what im shooting out of my .270 are the corelockts :shoot:

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I don't need a blood trail since they fall where I shoot them. I have never had a deer move in ten years of shooting them. These bullets are great!!!!

Robert

Wang Dang

Two years ago I shot at a buck in a clearcut 4 times. I was using ballistic tips. I knew I hit him the first time because he dropped in his tracks but he kept crawling. I finally shoot him the last time and he dies. I'm thinking I'm a terrible shot. I get to him and he is full of holes. Four entrance and four exit. I switch to Remington Core Lock. The next deer I shoot drops in its tracks and stays there after one shot.

clay30286

Go Ballistic

I have been sold on the ballistic tips (.270 cal) for several years. Most every post here, be it for or against, will admit that they are accurate. There are enough variables involved in shooting a deer (especially shoulder shots) that on any given shot a deer might fall or run. My advice, take the accuracy. Change to head/neck shots if you are worried about tracking. I only have one shoulder shot with ballistic tips. It was an immediate fall....and it was with the 70gr 243 Ballistic Tip.

Jim McRae

I lost my first two ever last years shooting Win ballistic silvertips. Both close range shots, both left losts of blood, but I don't believe either bullet exited. No more ballistic tips for me, although my groups were awesome. I have now sacrificed a little accuracy and gone w/ Hornaday Light magnums 130 grains. 2 for 2, both deer expired quickly.

Jim M.

syates32

I shot winchester ballistic tips for years I had good luck on most of the deer I killed most of them fell in there tracks. Early on I shot a nice buck and found very little blood and couldnt find him. Since then I shot 2 more bucks within 75 yards even knocked one of them down found good blood at impact area found no trail of blood. I dont know what caused the eradict difference but all I know is I am going back to core-lock cartridges.

duckbill

If I want to bust the shoulder off of a deer, I'll carry a 45-70 or a .338 mag. I don't shoot at the shoulder. If I hit the shoulder, in my mind, that's a miss. I know it can and will happen, but it's still a miss in my book. I cannot say anything bad about BT's. I think the popular conception is that because of the plastic tip, it explodes or shatters when it hits bone. The plastic tip just allows the bullet to expand more quickly. A soft point Remington bullet is designed the same way. Obviously there are bullets designed to expand properly that would be better "insurance", but you might have to work hard at getting an accurate load.
Aim BEHIND the shoulder and use the BT's.

Big A

My dad and I reload our balistic tips and have never had a problem. I shot a .270 with a nosler balistic tip. It has 51.5 grains of powder and it is a 150 grain bullet. The doe I shot yesterday fell right where I shot here. The fartherest I have ever had a deer run is 40 yrds. and that was because I made a bad shot. I don't care what you shoot you put it in the pump station and it should go down. Like many others have said before shot placement is the most important.
P.S. My dad shoots a 30-06 and has never had one run more than 15 yrds. Don't know the specifics of his load.

Big Al

I have never understood why anyone would want to shoot a deer in the shoulder. Thats ruining perfectly good meat. Shoot them in the lungs with a ballistic tip and it turns them to jelly. Every deer that I have shot in the lungs with a b'tip didn't have any afterwards. And they are not going to run far when the innards are destroyed.

CAL

Shoot a deer in the neck or head.They drop in their tracks.If one should run,no need to look for it.You missed!

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I really don't think most hunters are good enough with their weapon to make a head or neck shot. I am, but I practice. How many "hunters" go out with their gun just boresighted and expect to hit a small moving target, such as a neck or head. Just to stay on course, I have had great luck wuth the new Ballistic Silvertips. I shoot them cause they look soooooo good.
Robert

jkidd278

Ballistic tips are very accurate and I havn't lost a deer with them.

With that being said, I have shot 8 deer with BT's and only two of them went through. All of them I had to track for a short distance and none of them left a decent blood trail and 5 of them were perfect lung shots. I was dissapointed with their pass through performance and have switched back to partitions.

BTW, mine were hanloaded 150 grain 7mm bullets and none of the shots were over 125 yards.