Ball Bearing Knives

IFLY4U

I had picked up a bag full of ball bearings at the local flea market and decided to make a few knives from them. A 1 inch ball bearing will make a 3 to 4 inch blade. One of the finished knives has an axis stag handle and the other has a chittimwood handle from a burl that we harvested last year.
Gary

Attachments

• B Knife.JPG
    B Knife.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 599
  • Bearing Knife.JPG
    Bearing Knife.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 595
  • Bearing 1.JPG
    Bearing 1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 592
  • Bearing 2.JPG
    Bearing 2.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 598
  • Bearing3.JPG
    Bearing3.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 597
  • Bearing4.JPG
    Bearing4.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 599
  • Bearing 5.JPG
    Bearing 5.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 591

seeker

Very cool knife. What's the hardness of the steel when it's finished?

godogs57

I use bb's as well, but not as much lately. I'm sure you already know this, but for those that don't, be very careful to coinfirm that they are, in fact, 52 100 carbon steel and not 440C stainless! I'd do a spark test to be sure, but you'll find out quick enough if it is 440C...you'll beat your arm to death trying to prove you can forge stainless! Don't ask me how I know this.

Love those little 1" balls...they make a beautiful blade. You did great work there. Pat on the back!

joey1919

That's pretty cool, I've got access to some rather large, golf ball sized ones. Wonder what they're made out of...

T-N-T

I love turning something into something else. Especially a beautiful something else.
Nice

Anvil Head

Did some 2.5"ers a few years back. Fun but not cost effective (plus these old arms don't enjoy it as much as they used to). Have run across a few that were case hardened instead of 52100 so have to be dilligent in checking. They started out tough at forging heats just like 52100 but started "mushing" about 1/3 way through reducing process. So normalized a second from the batch, cut in half and etched.....mystery solved. Supply source said they were Timekens, but didn't have the race to confirm. Apparently they weren't.

52100 make on heck of a blade but the HT needs to be precise - not really a backyard forgable steel unless you have a lot of experience at the forge and a good HT oven. Overheat it one time and game over, not forgiving whatsoever.

Gary, I hear you on the SS - been there brother.

K80Shooter

I really love the stag handled one, looks fantastic!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Great work.

IFLY4U

Thanks folks for all of the kind comments. My Rockwell hardness tester is having some issues but I used the same heat treat recipe that I have for 52100 and should have an Rc in the 57-59 range. A buddy gave me a half of a 5 gallon bucket of bearings that came from large electric motors yesterday so future forging should be fun. I finally got my hydraulic forging press finished and can turn a 1.25" bearing into 1/4" bar stock for blade forging in 2 heats so it is not as bad as it could be with just an anvil and hammer. Between the press and the tire hammer, it makes it manageable.
Gary

Attachments

• Hammer.jpg
    Hammer.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 413
  • Press.jpg
    Press.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 404

bg7m

Nice work. I've forged a few of those myself, just hammer and anvil, elbow still hurts

wvdawg

Staff member
Love the WIP shots! Beautiful knives, fantastic finish work!