mikel

.308 winchester 168grain.
does anyone use them?
how do they perform?
thought i would try them this year
thanks in advance

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I love the Nosler Ballistic tips. I use the 168 grain in 30-06 and 300 WSM. Both calibers, the Bullets perform great. In 10 years of using them, I have never had a deer take another step. The ballistic tips are very damaging to the meat, having a large exit hole. Anyway, use them cause they work for me.
Is it bad to be in love with a bullet?

Robert

Hunting Teacher

Can't say about the 308.
My experience with smaller calibers though(243,260) is the balistic tip does tremendous damage, but does not exit. If the deer hits the ground right there it's great, but if the deer runs there's not much of a blood trail to follow.
Just my .02 worth
Teach

Handgunner

168gr Ballistic Silvertip in a .308 on whitetails -- One word "Devastating".

Predator56

i have thought about using ballistic silvetips but when i can find hornady sst's from midsouthshooterssupply.com for 14.43/box and interbonds(which they no longer make in factory ammo for the 308) for 16.63/box, I cant justify spending the extra $$ for a nosler ballistic tip with black coating, nickel case, and a silver tip.
i have used the 150 gr sst's and and the 150 gr interbond and performance was great on both. the sst mushroomed nicely and did not lose its core nor did it exit but it was a frontal shot and i found it under the hide behind the last rib so it traveled a good bit thru the deer, destroying bone, organs, etc along the way.

the interbond was a side shot and it exited about a dime size hole so i dont know what condition it was in but i assume it was in tact. it broke bone coming in and going out

Last edited:

mikel

good enough

sounds like what im after
thanks for the input

Nitro

Banned
I mentioned earlier that I love the SST and Ballisitc Tip. This year I am giving the new Nosler Accubond a real "field test".

All the admirable traits of the polymer tipped bullets with the welcome addition of a chemically bonded jacket. Hopefully no more core/jacket seperation.

I have already killed 3 with the 140 grain from a .270 and I am impressed to say the least. Massive tissue damage and an exit wound on all three. DRT on all so far. I have noticed that expansion seems to be tremendous.

I intend to shoot 7- 10 more deer this fall and will post results.

From my "accurized" A Bolt , I am getting very good results at the target butt- 3 shot groups of less than 3/4" at 100 yards.

We are shooting lots of does on the South Carolina lease and I control hunt a farm outside Lodge,SC. The owner wants em all killed...... We intend on doing our part.

My family loves venison and I hope to feed them well this year.

AG