Band of Bucks II

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Thanks for sharing , that ol boy in the last picture looks like he had a rough winter !

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Great pics as always Echo, I love the one with the really tall brows!!

Thanks, David! I like to see some good brows on a buck myself.

Thanks for sharing , that ol boy in the last picture looks like he had a rough winter !

Yeah, he's had a rough winter and a pretty rough life, antharper. He's one of those unfortunate deer that has some sort of jaw issue that causes his tongue to hang out all of the time. The summer is probably worse for him than the winter though with all of the biting flies and skeeters biting that exposed flesh. Was carrying two spikes on his head but dropped them both around Christmas. He hangs around so much nowadays I was thinking about putting up some sort of stall for him out back. :bounce:

Here's a few more pics among my heavily browsed and rubbed azalea's and Throw and Grow patch. Probably be a good spot for a climber on the last evening tomorrow.

Attachments

• STC_1681.jpg
    STC_1681.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 793
  • STC_1852.jpg
    STC_1852.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 792
  • STC_1790.jpg
    STC_1790.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 792
  • STC_1786.jpg
    STC_1786.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 795
  • STC_1194.jpg
    STC_1194.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 799
  • STC_1667.jpg
    STC_1667.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 787
  • STC_0806.jpg
    STC_0806.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 797
  • STC_1216.jpg
    STC_1216.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 800

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
WOW!!! That slick head buck looks ancient.

Yeah, his face has some character for sure, white hair, ragged ears, heck his eyes are even an unusual color when seen up close. We call him "Tongue Boy." I don't really know how old he is as he just showed up last year as a small spike and I thought then that maybe he was just 1.5 or so but now I'm thinking he must be a bit north of that. I'm trying to help him get through these lean months till spring.

Nice photos Echo, always enjoy the scenery.:cheers:

Thank you, Johnson!

Yep. I always enjoy Echo's buck threads. Wish I could get some hanging out around my crib.

Glad you do, elfiii! It's all about being in the right spot as far as getting them to hang around and come up close on a regular basis. Most places of course, it's just not going to happen.

Attachments

• STC_1526.jpg
    STC_1526.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 630
Wow!!! Here I've been excited to see four does feeding in my backyard for a few months now and waiting for a buck to show up. Can't imagine the excitement if I had half as many bucks as you have in these photos. Thanks for posting them.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Glad you do, elfiii! It's all about being in the right spot as far as getting them to hang around and come up close on a regular basis. Most places of course, it's just not going to happen.

Get more pics of you sitting on your deck and them walking up and eating right in front of you. :biggrin2::cool:

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wow!!! Here I've been excited to see four does feeding in my backyard for a few months now and waiting for a buck to show up. Can't imagine the excitement if I had half as many bucks as you have in these photos. Thanks for posting them.

It's a lot of fun for sure. Good luck on getting the bucks to come in!

What kind of camera are you useing ? I see its a stealth but what model is it.

I believe it's the G-42. Bout time to try a newer one out. I get more blur than I would like with this one, especially at night but overall Stealth cams have been good for me.

Get more pics of you sitting on your deck and them walking up and eating right in front of you. :biggrin2::cool:

Yeah, I might do that again sometime, elfiii.
I haven't been running the camera the last few days but I'll get it up and taking pics again tomorrow.

I know one thing, they are about as hungry as I've ever seen them down here this winter. I hope we get an early spring green up because they could sure use some good quality natural browse in a hurry.

BornToHuntAndFish

Hey, Ernie, just wondering how your summer & yard headgear whitetail encounters went for you before hunting season. Appreciate any of your popular updates, Sir. Good luck this deer season.

:bounce:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
When I seen this thread bumped up i got excited to see some backyard bucks , but mostly to know Ernie was doing well , he hasn’t missed a year since I’ve been a member !!! Anyone know him personally ?

davidhelmly

When I seen this thread bumped up i got excited to see some backyard bucks , but mostly to know Ernie was doing well , he hasn’t missed a year since I’ve been a member !!! Anyone know him personally ?
Lol me too, I always loved his posts!

BassHunter25

Great pics. I’m interested if I know where this is. It looks a lot like a neighborhood I’m very familiar with. But these deer appear a lot bigger than most I’ve seen there. Not that it’s a place that I or I think anyone would try to hunt.

Blackston

Landings x 2

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hey, Ernie, just wondering how your summer & yard headgear whitetail encounters went for you before hunting season. Appreciate any of your popular updates, Sir. Good luck this deer season.

Didn't have any encounters at all this summer, Born To. To be perfectly honest I missed my backyard pals too but I guess all good things do have to end eventually.

Looking forward to hunting some very different terrain this season up here in the piedmont. Good luck to you this season as well!

:bounce:

I appreciate that antharper and I reckon I have been slacking off on my posting for quite sometime now, but I'm doing very well otherwise. I hope you are too!!

big ern sold his house on the coast and moved to the Piedmont. no more backyard bucks from the coast.

I sure did, humdandy.

Lol me too, I always loved his posts!

Right back at you, David!

I’d guess The Landings
Landings x 2
That what it looked like. The deer just looked bigger bodied then the ones I usually see. But trail cam can add a few pounds. The thinning of the herd has them a lot healthier looking.

That's a fact there - these were all Skidaway Island deer. They get thinned by USDA sharpshooters and at least when I was there they hit the does a whole lot harder than the bucks which skewed the buck/doe ratio very heavy towards bucks. Plus they have spray fields for treated wastewater which likely served as pretty good fertilizer contributing to the better than average rack and body size.

Anyway, I want give a big thanks to everybody who followed my threads over the last few years. I enjoyed sharing it all with you!

I do have a few hanging out at my new place already. No big bucks yet but I'm pretty they aren't too far off..

Attachments

• STC_1837.JPG
    STC_1837.JPG
    497.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited: