Barnes Bullet

SWAMPFOX

A friend of mine gave me some 120 grain .284 Barnes TSX Triple Shock bullets to reload. I want to cook up some reduced recoil 7mm-08 loads for my 9-year old grandson to hunt with using these 120 grain bullets.

What concerns me is that this bullet appears to be a hollow point. I am wondering how they will work on Georgia whitetails. I don't want to take the chance of wounding a deer with them. I have successfully used 120 grain ballistic tips in the Hornady Reduced Recoil factory loads but I'm concerned with these being hollow points.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/advice/input.

Thanks. DSC_0007.JPG

BeefMaster

I have used Barnes bullets (old school X, TSX, and TTSX) in a 22-250, 22-250/243 wildcat, 243, and a 6mm/284 wildcat with great results in regards to terminal performance on deer as well as a good sized hog. I don’t have experience with a reduced recoil load with Barnes, but, at “normal” velocities they are my favorite.

As your are planning a reduced recoil load that will have an effect on your velocity. My concern would be at what point you are dropping below the recommended velocity that causes the round to expand. In regards to that, I would give Barnes a holler, or dig about on the net, and find out their recommendations for minimum velocity for that round. Then, you can chrono your rounds at the recoil level you desire for confirmed velocity, work up some dope (good calculators online), and find your max distance in which you can expect expansion.

It’s possible you are a much more experienced reloader than I so if I insulted your intelligence or experience I apologize.

deast1988

Barnes thrives on speed, you go reduced recoil you are hurting your performance. We tried some through my dads 7/08 as he was recovering from surgery he killed 3 deer, the performance was less then stellar two ran stopped an took another round. Wound channels were small almost caliber hole size. I’d reload them to touch less then maxed, you’ll have less recoil more speed an get some smoking energy on impact. I’m running 130gr tsx hollowpoints in a 30/06 recoil feels like a 150gr but maxed load as fast as I can get it. Turns the lights out quick, loaned that gun to a buddy last year 3 deer all went less then 10yds.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have found that 2800fps+ for Barnes in typical bullet weights for caliber is a good start. And more often than not getting them to 3000fps+ by using a light for caliber Barnes is even better, especially for deer sized game.
Like 130gr or 110gr in .308win
100-120gr in 7mm08
I run 130gr .277 Barned ttsx in a .270WSM a smidge over 3400fps.

Light for cal going fast works on deer with Barnes.

If you want to have reduced recoil I would use a Hornady Spire Point.
My son killed 4 whitetails with a 130gr Hornady out of his 3006. I had them going about 2400fps. He shot groundhogs with the rifle all summer because it was so mild. The deer died as convincingly as they do with full power 150gr.

deast1988

Maybe Accubond LR? They are designed to work at lower speeds.

Accubond, has a lower expansion threshold, Aframe from swift, Norma Oryx those 3 expand better at much lower velocity. The way I’ve learned premium bullets is you pay for predictability meaning more then likely the bullet is going to do what the manufacturer says it’s going to do, real world isnt always the case with body size angles an stuff. But more times then not it’s goin to do what it’s supposed to. People get sucked into the light for caliber Barnes, but Barnes make there’s for high speed performance not so much the reduced recoil factor. I think there’s 125/130gr accubonds in .30cal if you wanted a downloaded recoil bullet. Or I’d just go with the hornady factory loaded reduced sst, for the 7/08. The sst is violent but should severely thump game until your kid grows out of the recoil sensitiveness. But if you got the stuff to load I’d crank some near maxed ones out with the 120gr tsx an see if he can handle it might be surprised I doubt a hot 120 comes close to a factory 140.

nmurph

From Nosler-

...the AccuBond® -LR bullet was designed to have a minimum impact velocity of 1300fps in order to reliably expand or mushroom at those much longer distances, compared to the 1800fps minimum impact velocity of all other Nosler® hunting bullets. Now what about close range performance? Because the lead core is bonded to the copper jacket, the AccuBond®-LR bullet will hold up to extreme velocities.

Reactions: Dub

30-338

If you are going to significantly reduce the load you need to consider Hodgdon 4895 with a light jacketed bullet. Don’t be afraid to use a target bullet such as a Hornady A-Max or Sierra MK. I killed a lot of deer using a 168 grain Speer Gold Medal Match bullet in a 30-06 at about 2600 FPS. This was my combo for hunting in the woods at short ranges. I got an exit hole on every one.