Barnes or Winchester Silvertip .243

drumbum77

Banned
Which one should I go with for a .243? I was thinking about the Barnes 80 grain TTSX or the 95 grain ballistic silvertips. I've heard pretty good things about both. Thanks ya'll

btbones

Which one should I go with for a .243? I was thinking about the Barnes 80 grain TTSX or the 95 grain ballistic silvertips. I've heard pretty good things about both. Thanks ya'll
I only had experience with the ballistic silvertips in a 270. Most accurate bullet I ever shot and I killed every deer I hit with them. The drawback was what I perceived as a serious lack of expansion. Small exit wounds with little blood trail on heart and lung shots

Using a .243, I'd want the best bullet to give me full penetration on any shot. No, I didn't say I'll take any shot. But knowing the terrain I hunt (very thick cover) and also, that I do not have a bench rest in the woods. So, I'd always defer to the deepest penetrating bullet in that caliber, Barnes.

Stroker

Neither. Hornady SST 95 grain has been my go to since they came out about 10 years ago. Deadly on deer.

lonewolf247

The Barnes bullets are probably the best choice of the two bullets you mentioned. The nosler partitions in 100 grain would do a good job too. You might also take a look at the nosier accubond, it would probably be a good ammo choice as well.

Dub

If your .243 will shoot 'em accurately....then I'd go....without hesitation...with the Barnes.

You never know what type of shot you'll have....

The Barnes will at least give you the confidence to take a shoulder shot if needed.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Whichever is the most acurrate in your rifle is the one I would choose. Bullet placement is everything
To an extent. But the bullet has to expand as well as hit where you aim it. A well-placed FMJ or solid will do less damage than a less-perfectly placed softpoint on deer-sized critters. I agree that almost any decent-quality hunting bullet will kill a deer dead if it's put in the right place.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Neither. Hornady SST 95 grain has been my go to since they came out about 10 years ago. Deadly on deer.
I have been shooting SSTs in my 7.62x39 AR, and I am very happy with their performance on deer.

Buckman18

We had our first experience with a 243 last weekend, my daughter shot a spike and a hog. She was shooting the 95 gr Winchester XP. I was NOT impressed, and will sell her gun and replace it with a 308 or 7mm08.

On the deer, pencil in, and the bullet ricocheted out the brisket (was standing broadside at 30). No blood. Luckily it only made it 50 yards out of sight. On the hog, bullet entered the shoulder, and never made it to vitals. I shot it with my 300 as it charged us at 4 steps.

tree cutter 08

Buckman, try those Barnes and you'll have a totally different experience. I seriously doubt you'll recover a bullet. I shot a big hog last year and it penetrated 3ft of him and exited. Every other animal shot with them passed through and left good blood or dropped.

Buckman18

Buckman, try those Barnes and you'll have a totally different experience. I seriously doubt you'll recover a bullet. I shot a big hog last year and it penetrated 3ft of him and exited. Every other animal shot with them passed through and left good blood or dropped.

10-4. I’ll order some and try them.

coastalredneck

X2 on the Barnes.. Daughter killed a beautiful 8 pointer last week with the 80 grain Barnes and it did a number on him. 140 yard shot too.. right in the shoulder and exited opposite shoulder with about a 1.5 inch hole.. easy 50 yard blood trail

Reactions: Dub

tbrown913

I personally hate both of those bullets, but only used them in a 270. The ballistic Silvertips either blew up in the deer and ruined meat, or penciled through and I had horrible blood trails. The ttsx I shot my first doe in the neck. She dropped, and about 10 minutes later stood up, shook her head, and started to walk off when I shot her again. The next deer I shot was a beautiful shot right behind the shoulder. Saw her mule kick in my scope. Looked for blood for over an hour and never found a speck. I found her 150 yards away after just walking down different trails.

Now I use hornady American whitetail and will not change unless they stop making them. Great performance from the bullets. Every deer I have shot has either dropped or died within 75 yards with an easy blood trail.