Bass Jigs, how, when, and where?

King Fisher

I Haven't use jigs a lot, but the few times I have, I have caught some good fish on them. What's your favorite brand, weight, trailer, etc? How, when, where and why. Swim jigs, football heads, rattles? So many options

Jig fishing

I like the hack attack swim jig with a zoom craw trailer on a slow steady retrieve. Different look when the spinnerbait, crankbait aren't producing.

BeerThirty

Jigs are hands down my favorite bass fishing lure. You will catch fewer but the ones you catch will be better.

You can't find these in stores, but check out Northland Tackle's Jungle Jig: https://shop.northlandtackle.com/seasonal-tackle/open-water-fishing/jungle-jig/ . I like heavy jigs, so 1/2 and 3/4 are my go-to's. I don't much notice a difference with/without a rattle.

I'll fish the black/blue in stained water, and the crawfish color in clear. Uncle Josh real pork trailers in matching colors.

Best fishing time for them I find is pre-spawn and spawn. Deep structure like weeds, fallen trees, creek channels, ledges all the way up to the shallows where they may be chasing baitfish. You can hammer males on beds all day long with jigs too.

As far as retrieve, I opt for a slow retrieve, dragging off the bottom or structure, with a few sporadic pops to jump the jig. With the bigger jigs, really have to watch your cast and place them as gentle as possible to avoid big splashes, as they will spook bass. Many a times, bass will hit jigs on the initial fall.

Have fun!

miller

What rod and reel combo are you all using with these?

BeerThirty

I use a 6'6 MH, ultra fast action Bass Pro Carbon Lite rod. Cannot say enough about those rods! Paired up with an Abu Revo and 30lb power bro braid.

miller

Perfect, thanks!