Basset Hounds

redeli

"Useless Billy Coach"
Does anyone here know where I might can find a basset hound without spending a fortune? Mine passed on about month ago and I really want another. I would prefer a puppy but am receptive to a young adult. Thanks for any help.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I took a quick look at petfinder.com, filtered for Basset and 100 miles from me. There is a pretty 4-5 year old female in Warrenville, SC, named Remi. I didn't see an adoption fee.

I am over near Augusta and if you want Remi, I will help get her to you.

Last edited:

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Define fortune, most purebreed dogs (with papers) cost a pretty penny nowdays. I know someone that breeds everynow and then, if I'm not mistaken they get a little over 1K. That being said they might know of a dog (or could help find one)

I can ask if you'd like

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
We work with a rescue in NJ that has a $600 adoption fee but most rescues in the South East are much lower. Finding a pure bred dog is not that easy but the one I linked to above looks pretty close to me.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Rut Ro -- I see that i forgot to add the link. I'll try to fix that unless she has been spoken for.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
I asked and there is/was one that the family couldn't keep. I got pics and can try and get contact info if interested. Puppy is in Mississippi @redeli

redeli

"Useless Billy Coach"
I filled out some applications but they said I had to have a fence...I got 25 acres but no fence...I am out in the country

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Most of the adoption places require a fence because they are used to dealing with folks who don't understand that it takes a while for a dog to learn where home is.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
For the dog, the bigger the better for Bassets, Beagles and others that like to "hunt" a yard.

For the Rescue Groups there is no guideline. They are primarily looking for something to hold the dog if the new owner opens the door and lets it outside. Rescue Groups will probably never understand "Farm Life" or "Farm Dogs" who have done quite well without fences for eons. But if you get a dog from a Rescue you will have to jump through whatever hoops they have set up. LOL

Some Rescue Groups are great to work with and some are real pills. Snooty don't even cover it.