Battling turn over in clubs

Big7

The Oracle
You always gonna have the members who think that certain deer belong to them.
Ive never understood that but ive seen it in every club ive hunted in. So I always make a point to show those particular members my kill. As far as the member turn over, I don't know how to fix that. All clubs ive been in have that problem also.

Well then. If HIS DEER gets in MY SCOPE it then becomes MY DEER and going in MY COOLER?

Gumpbuck

That's just pure envy... It's not "new guys" fault that the other guys don't know how to find the "good bucks!!!!!

This kind of "stuff" is the reason I have my own 160 acres. I don't have to worry jealousy, strife or envy...Got it all to myself and can hunt it as I wish..

This^^^^

I have found that when each member has their own assigned area and all members respect that area, many issues go away.

Also, making sure the membership is limited so each member has a decent size area.

Other than a bag limit, let each member hunt their area as they see fit.

As long as all the members are like minded, you should do well.

I have no issue was making the whole club a first come first serve type hunt. But when not everyone is having success, I think problems can arise.

Bottom line: Be respectful, safe and have fun. If you keep that in mind, a lot of issues should disappear.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
It`s been long years since I was in a club, and I don`t ever look to get in another one. If I did though, I would wait for an opening in the club you have. I think you have a good thing going.
Thanks Nic.

Buckstop

Had that happen to a good friend of mine a number of years ago in a club. He killed two very nice bucks and wasn't invited back the next year. This is a guy that is one of the nicest, easy going people I know. And the other members were people we both knew and considered friends.

Amazing how competitive folks can be over deer. Someone that can't be happy for another member taking a good buck is a solid red flag and would definitely preclude them from membership in our group. Having long time members with that attitude can run quality people off too. No deer is worth being around others with crappy attitudes.

Larger the group, the more susceptible it is to turnover due to economic situations, and that you can't change. But if there's a consistently high level of turnover, its either the quality doesn't equal the price or too much internal drama.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
worst thing can happen is for a new guy to show up and start whacking good bucks. especially in areas the other members think aren't good areas to hunt.

Now you tell me!!!

I was in the greatest club full of the greatest friends ever until my brother an I eventually started pulling all the bucks and does out of “our” chosen by them Crappy spot while they held the flint river down for us. I found their corn one day and it wasn’t that I cared but they acted like “what corn? Don’t go back in there again ever” So we pulled out and let em have our crappy spot too.
The obese disabled fella shot one deer the year before so they wanted him out.
I learned a lot from those too old to hunt right jealous hunters and eventually left them in the wind for a better group that enjoys whenever somebody else gets one.
I was under the assumption that we all were there to kill a deer.

Mark K

Banned
Got out of leases and would rather hunt public if I didn’t have private.
It seemed to me during my lease days that if you or family killed deer (following club rules) the senior members would get upset.
I learned that most rules apply to “the new folks” only.
Had to have a meeting with the president and some members about a new stand I put up. They were getting upset about us shooting deer out of it and said I had marked it wrong on the map and was hunting someone else’s stand. I told them I’d gladly show them where it was, but that everyone must go all the way to the stand with me. Guess some should have listened/read when I marked it as the “Heartattack Stand”. 3 members never made it out of the creek. 1 other never made it up the hill. Me, the club president, and one other member made it to the grove of white oaks I had found. No one ever pinned in there, lol!
Lots of joy riding during the season and apparently thought turkey season was time for parties and night riding. Never happened before according to the president of the club...but we were killing turkeys and they weren’t.
For the most part leases were ok, but there was always a member or two that would clash or didn’t like the fact you did things different...like marking a stand and take your climber in and sit 65 yards away along the trail that couldn’t be seen from pinned stand and kill a deer.

Major Wader

If anyone had a lease or club with a decent deer population that didn't require me to drive through Atlanta traffic to get to it, I would love to join.

Major Wader

As information, I have a buggy, tractor, trailer, PTO tiller, chain harrow, seeder, disk harrow, and a truck and trailer rig big enough to bring all that to said lease/club for work days.

Gunpowder

Our club seems to struggle with turn over quite often. Even with great deer on the property and a good atmosphere within the group. I’m curious everyone’s experiences because I’m certain we are the only ones battling this. How do y’all go about counteracting turn over?

We’ve had everything from folks that just weren’t a good fit and we mutually parted ways. Guys that get upset cause another club member shot “their deer.” And of course the financial issues factor.

Gunpowder

Our club seems to struggle with turn over quite often. Even with great deer on the property and a good atmosphere within the group. I’m curious everyone’s experiences because I’m certain we are the only ones battling this. How do y’all go about counteracting turn over?

We’ve had everything from folks that just weren’t a good fit and we mutually parted ways. Guys that get upset cause another club member shot “their deer.” And of course the financial issues factor.
Where is your club ? We lost our club land and are looking for a new club that can accept 7 membership. You

baddave

The only club i was ever in I watched alot of the older members Shun the New guys somewhat. I am an outgoing person that never met a stranger and I always tried to make sure i included the new guys and offered up any advice I could. Showed them Open areas to hunt and made things as easy as i could for them. I have some great friends now because of that. Keep in mind they ARE the outsider walking in to a new club. Make sure to let them know they are appreciated and always welcome.
i hate that characteristic about men but i've seen it at work places many many times. . when i see that, they will have a hard time ever winning my friendship because i just learned something about them.. when i see someone new i like to make them comfortable cause i know how they feel;)

Jim Boyd

People come and go, sometimes for good reason.

Sometime you are sad to see them go and sometimes you ain’t.

Run a good outfit and you generally have folks waiting to get in.