Bear hunts with dogs proposed for N GA WMAs

Rabun

So I was reading the proposed Chattahoochee WMA bear seasons...it states "Archery still hunting" and "Firearms still hunting" and then the applicable dates on p A-86. what is meant by that language?

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I don't mind to walk at all. It's just the fact that they close them like there's nothing left. As far as the hunt in December the sows den up dogs will most likely get on a boar need to get sows if you want to get the population in check. Isn't that the goal?

Why cant dogs jump one out of a den? I know my dog (not trained hunter) will dig up a chimpmonk and chew his head off..

Raylander

Maybe not chew their head off but if your hounds cant smell a bear in a den. You need new dogs brother..

Raylander

Lol. I would like to the dog that can do that to a bear.

Seriously. Ill be in Gville petiton against the proposed time frame. But if i fail- id love to have my dog run with an educated pack. He'll get it done.. Nose x10

Last edited:

j_seph

Another thought is this, Spring time bear hunt is prone to have sows killed that have cubs who will end up a death of starvation. I do not believe that once a bear is being chased by dogs that the cubs are going to stick around mom and by the time hunters get 2 or 3 miles in to bear treed they are not going to know if she had cubs with her a mile before she treed.

Raylander

Another thought is this, Spring time bear hunt is prone to have sows killed that have cubs who will end up a death of starvation. I do not believe that once a bear is being chased by dogs that the cubs are going to stick around mom and by the time hunters get 2 or 3 miles in to bear treed they are not going to know if she had cubs with her a mile before she treed.

With dogs youd be treeing the bear? And sizing up a shot? Correct? She aint going nowhere? Eyeball those nips. I was under the impression that dogs were used to identify and target specific bears.. Like lions..

Raylander

So I was reading the proposed Chattahoochee WMA bear seasons...it states "Archery still hunting" and "Firearms still hunting" and then the applicable dates on p A-86. what is meant by that language?

Dunno email your state rep and senator tell them you woukd be in favor of a spring bear hunt. Period. Dogs would be a great asset at that time of year!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've never dogged bear so I can't say how it affects bear movement. I do hunt hog and small game with dogs and now it doesn't affect deer when dogs are running or treeing coon. The problem we always had was after deer season was closed and we still have 2 months left to hunt the gates we're locked. It's very irritating when you are going to your dogs and have to walk half a mile when you could have drove with in a few yards of them. Also like said before the best time to hunt bear is early so why should the hound's men have to take the leftovers and when the gates are locked?
I have dogged bears. A lot. I can say how it affects bear movement. Dogs in the woods don't affect deer much, but they sure affect daytime bear movement. As for your last question, here is the big difference: Still hunting bears doesn't affect the hound hunters at all. Dogging bears makes a huge, huge, huge, impact on the still hunters. It makes it so it is about impossible to kill a bear without dogs.

turkeykirk

I'm in favor of a spring season.

Don’t bear hunt but do turkey hunt in the mountains some in the Spring. Wonder how a Spring bear dog hunt would affect the turkey hunting. Wouldn’t be much fun working a gobbler when a pack of dogs run thru.

JN86

I have dogged bears. A lot. I can say how it affects bear movement. Dogs in the woods don't affect deer much, but they sure affect daytime bear movement. As for your last question, here is the big difference: Still hunting bears doesn't affect the hound hunters at all. Dogging bears makes a huge, huge, huge, impact on the still hunters. It makes it so it is about impossible to kill a bear without dogs.
I now still hunting doesn't impact bear movement but it does impact hound hunting. Most dogging seasons is planned around still hunting.

Raylander

B
Don’t bear hunt but do turkey hunt in the mountains some in the Spring. Wonder how a Spring bear dog hunt would affect the turkey hunting. Wouldn’t be much fun working a gobbler when a pack of dogs run thru.

Be best if was during the hog/yote hunt. Last 2 weeks of May- archery only- quota with dogs- specific WMAs- bug guns- whatever it takes...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I now still hunting doesn't impact bear movement but it does impact hound hunting. Most dogging seasons is planned around still hunting.
How does still hunting impact dogging? I don't see it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Bear dogs are kept on leash until you find a track. Then you determine how hot the track is, size of the track, if there are obviously cubs with it and which direction it is heading before you turn loose. They don’t just run loose through the woods like coon or rabbit dogs.
Yep. We always tried to never turn on a sow with cubs.