Bear hunts with dogs proposed for N GA WMAs

Buckman18

NOT DURING OR RIGHT BEFORE ARCHERY SEASON!!! Whose buying more liscence which = $, bowhunters or doggers? Good Lord willin' I too will be in Gainesville on the 15th!

Excellent point!

Closing down nearly 1/4 of bow season for over 100 bow hunters for a handful of dog hunters doesn’t make good business sense.

lampern

Except the dog hunters showed up in numbers at the DNR meetings.

And there is no reason to assume they won’t again.

Rabun

Not in favor of this either. Will not be able to attend a meeting but will write in my comments. If you're going to experiment with something, don't schedule it for a period that disrupts other seasons. If a goal is to kill more bears, it will almost be impossible to make a determination if more/less bears are killed due to dog hunting, loss of bow hunting or the affect dogging has on bear behavior following the dog hunts. If the goal is to try and bring the population into check, have two years of hunting bear over bait and see how the harvest reports reflect this strategy. If the goal is to provide doggers with a season, then do it during the practice season that's already been allocated if that still exists. This activity should be done during a period that will not impact other hunting seasons and give game ample opportunity to get back to their normal routine and behavior before other hunting seasons open.

JN86

I've never dogged bear so I can't say how it affects bear movement. I do hunt hog and small game with dogs and now it doesn't affect deer when dogs are running or treeing coon. The problem we always had was after deer season was closed and we still have 2 months left to hunt the gates we're locked. It's very irritating when you are going to your dogs and have to walk half a mile when you could have drove with in a few yards of them. Also like said before the best time to hunt bear is early so why should the hound's men have to take the leftovers and when the gates are locked?

Rabun

The DNR can't do that.

Bear season cannot be open

Who stipulates those dates? If it's a cumulative number of days and not actual calendar time frame, then it could be shifted to close the first of december and open for dogs the first of august? But I don't know if that is possible. Not much bear activity in mountains in december anyway.

jbogg

I've never dogged bear so I can't say how it affects bear movement. I do hunt hog and small game with dogs and now it doesn't affect deer when dogs are running or treeing coon. The problem we always had was after deer season was closed and we still have 2 months left to hunt the gates we're locked. It's very irritating when you are going to your dogs and have to walk half a mile when you could have drove with in a few yards of them. Also like said before the best time to hunt bear is early so why should the hound's men have to take the leftovers and when the gates are locked?

I am fairly certain the timing of the dog hunt has nothing to do with the status of the gates. The gates for most interior roads usually remain locked for the duration of bow season anyhow with the exception of the early rifle hunt. Regarding “leftovers”, there are still plenty of bears to be hunted by dog hunters in December. September and October are a critical time for a bow hunter to be successful. Dog Hunters on the other hand are not relying on the bear to come to them since they are obviously using the dogs to locate and tree the bear. A pack of dogs can push a bear out of a laurel thicket just as easily in December as in September.

Buckman18

Not in favor of this either. Will not be able to attend a meeting but will write in my comments. If you're going to experiment with something, don't schedule it for a period that disrupts other seasons. If a goal is to kill more bears, it will almost be impossible to make a determination if more/less bears are killed due to dog hunting, loss of bow hunting or the affect dogging has on bear behavior following the dog hunts. If the goal is to try and bring the population into check, have two years of hunting bear over bait and see how the harvest reports reflect this strategy. If the goal is to provide doggers with a season, then do it during the practice season that's already been allocated if that still exists. This activity should be done during a period that will not impact other hunting seasons and give game ample opportunity to get back to their normal routine and behavior before other hunting seasons open.

Where can we send comments?

strothershwacker

I love locked gates. It's the only game management tool we have in some areas.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
From my experience the gates are an interesting case. They are closed for archery season. Then as the firearm hunts occur they slowly open a few at a time. This slows the access and prohibits the property being 'blown out' (which is exactly what a dog hunt will do). I dont mind the closed gates- it keeps fat and lazy people out..

strothershwacker

Like it or not deer hunting is the heavy hitter. Deer hunting is to Georgia wildlife like the high school football team is to the athletic department. Wrestling, tennis, track and so on doesn't bring the crowds. Football does. Crowds = funding. Therefore football takes precedence over the others. The other sports typically get the "leftovers".

Raylander

Its already been stated by one out of state hunter on this thread- they wont come to hunt bears after the dogs theyll go elsewhere. My cousin and a few others (from AL) were planning to come hunt with me this year a time or two. They are debating on going to LBL in KY to hunt deer if the dog hunts take place. That'll get em in the pocket book.

JN86

I don't mind to walk at all. It's just the fact that they close them like there's nothing left. As far as the hunt in December the sows den up dogs will most likely get on a boar need to get sows if you want to get the population in check. Isn't that the goal?

Raylander

I don't mind to walk at all. It's just the fact that they close them like there's nothing left. As far as the hunt in December the sows den up dogs will most likely get on a boar need to get sows if you want to get the population in check. Isn't that the goal?

See my previous posts. My thumbs are worn from working all day. I agree- kill the sows. Best shot for that is in May

Rabun

The law does

Which law? Is it a federal mandate because it's federal land, or are those dates set by the state? And can they be modified?

Where can we send comments?

• Statements may be electronically submitted at: https://georgiawildlife.com/regulations/meetings
  • Written statements should be mailed to: GA DNR/Wildlife Resources Division/Game Management Section; Attn: Tina Johannsen; 2067 U.S. Highway 278, S.E.; Social Circle, Georgia 30025
  • Call 706-557-3350

JN86

See my previous posts. My thumbs are worn from working all day. I agree- kill the sows. Best shot for that is in May
That's what I'm saying. If the dogs run in December mostly boar's will be killed. I'm a bow Hunter also and I'm just making the point that there should be some compromise so everyone can do what they enjoy. I also think May would be a good time for dogs or stand hunt.