Bear hunts with dogs proposed for N GA WMAs

Buckman18

Which law? Is it a federal mandate because it's federal land, or are those dates set by the state? And can they be modified?

• Statements may be electronically submitted at: https://georgiawildlife.com/regulations/meetings
  • Written statements should be mailed to: GA DNR/Wildlife Resources Division/Game Management Section; Attn: Tina Johannsen; 2067 U.S. Highway 278, S.E.; Social Circle, Georgia 30025
  • Call 706-557-3350
Thanks!

This is what I sent in an email, feel free to copy or improve on:

I am writing to OPPOSE the proposed bear hunt with dogs during the archery season on Chattahoochee and Chestatee WMA's. This nearly 25% reduction in bow seaon for a small handful of houndsmen will seriously reduce and have a negative impact for the 100-200 bowhunters who utilize the archery seasons on these WMA's.

The timing for the proposed hunt is terrible. If it must be tried, please consider a late December or January date.

In addition the dogs will harass deer and other wildlife, will likely range on to private land during the chase causing conflicts, and there will be road damage and litter on the land.

I, and many others, would instead like to propose a late spring or summer bear season. This would effectively reduce the bear population, and would benefit more hunters. Nevertheless, I, and many other Chattahoochee and Chestatee bowhunters, OPPOSE dog hunting for bears in north Georgia.

Thanks,

tree cutter 08

Sent my thoughts in. Basically the same thing. I did also mention that was glad to see the reduction in doe days. I didn't see anything about reduction or elimination on nf land did yall? I thought I read on another thread that Mr killmaster suggested removing them on nf land east of 75.

Buckman18

The dogs are not going to harass the deer.

It doesn't happen in North Carolina where the seasons overlap

Yes it does, and yes they do. I’ve seen it too many times. One of the biggest mountain bucks I’ve ever killed was being chased in Towns County, GA by ‘bear’ dogs near the state line in the southern Nantahala wilderness in 2010. I shot him at full throttle. He was with and ahead of a doe and I remember thinking ‘that’s unusual,’ before I shot.

The buck was in his final throws after taking a 300 mag, and here they come hot on his trail. They had on their collars and trackers and when they saw me walking toward them they left in a hurry.

3 things I’ve learned in my 39 years on this planet:

1. Don’t trust a rattlesnake with a ‘pet me’ sign.

2. Never marry a girl who comes from a family of Democrats.

3. Don’t trust folks who say ‘you can trust me’ and/or ‘my dogs don’t run deer!’

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Yes it does, and yes they do. I’ve seen it too many times. One of the biggest mountain bucks I’ve ever killed was being chased in Towns County, GA by ‘bear’ dogs near the state line in the southern Nantahala wilderness in 2010. I shot him at full throttle. He was with and ahead of a doe and I remember thinking ‘that’s unusual,’ before I shot.

The buck was in his final throws after taking a 300 mag, and here they come hot on his trail. They had on their collars and trackers and when they saw me walking toward them they left in a hurry.

3 things I’ve learned in my 39 years on this planet:

1. Don’t trust a rattlesnake with a ‘pet me’ sign.

2. Never marry a girl who comes from a family of Democrats.

3. Don’t trust folks who say ‘you can trust me’ and/or ‘my dogs don’t run deer!’
They ran you your biggest deer to date ? Might wanna thank them.

lampern

The bow deer season and the gun bear season overlap in NC.

Record numbers of deer are being killed on the national forests with bow and arrows.

Record numbers of bears are being killed too.

The seasons have co existed for decades just fine.

JN86

How does still hunting impact dogging? I don't see it.
This is a good example in it's self. There's around 40 days of bow season and there allowing 9 of them to be used for dogging and it's not good. Just on 2 WMA's. Anything brought up about hunting with dogs in most cases fround up on. All the gates are locked where I hunt after deer season. If they we're to lock the gates dearing deer season it would not be good. I personally don't have any interest in dogging bear but I do think everyone should be treated fairly and have a equal opportunity.

Buckman18

The bow deer season and the gun bear season overlap in NC.

Record numbers of deer are being killed on the national forests with bow and arrows.

Record numbers of bears are being killed too.

The seasons have co existed for decades just fine.

I bet you’ve scored some fine bow kills on the Natl Forest of North Carolina? I’d like to see some pics! When are you going to post them?

JN86

Thanks!

This is what I sent in an email, feel free to copy or improve on:

I am writing to OPPOSE the proposed bear hunt with dogs during the archery season on Chattahoochee and Chestatee WMA's. This nearly 25% reduction in bow seaon for a small handful of houndsmen will seriously reduce and have a negative impact for the 100-200 bowhunters who utilize the archery seasons on these WMA's.

The timing for the proposed hunt is terrible. If it must be tried, please consider a late December or January date.

In addition the dogs will harass deer and other wildlife, will likely range on to private land during the chase causing conflicts, and there will be road damage and litter on the land.

I, and many others, would instead like to propose a late spring or summer bear season. This would effectively reduce the bear population, and would benefit more hunters. Nevertheless, I, and many other Chattahoochee and Chestatee bowhunters, OPPOSE dog hunting for bears in north Georgia.

Thanks,
If a hand full of dog hunters drove up and down the road 5 times it still wouldn't do as much damage as 200 people driving on it once.

jbogg

Sent my thoughts in. Basically the same thing. I did also mention that was glad to see the reduction in doe days. I didn't see anything about reduction or elimination on nf land did yall? I thought I read on another thread that Mr killmaster suggested removing them on nf land east of 75.

2905394B-5217-4039-8656-A463D53BEF91.jpeg

goshenmountainman

Where was all this opposition when they took a week away from bow season for muzzle loaders, they took the best week of the season and everyone just sat back and took it. Mostly because it suited their wants, well I guess this suits some folk's wants too. I for one don't want to lose any bow season at all, but I don't hunt either one of those WMA's anymore, there are very few deer left on either one, this is the reason I don't hunt them and the bears are most of the reason there are none. I could care less when they have the dog season but I think it should happen when the bears are on the move, not in the den. Everyone has the right to hunt and I think the dog hunters should have their season, Its fair for everyone else to have their season and its fair for them to have theirs too.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Where was all this opposition when they took a week away from bow season for muzzle loaders, they took the best week of the season and everyone just sat back and took it. Mostly because it suited their wants, well I guess this suits some folk's wants too. I for one don't want to lose any bow season at all, but I don't hunt either one of those WMA's anymore, there are very few deer left on either one, this is the reason I don't hunt them and the bears are most of the reason there are none. I could care less when they have the dog season but I think it should happen when the bears are on the move, not in the den. Everyone has the right to hunt and I think the dog hunters should have their season, Its fair for everyone else to have their season and its fair for them to have theirs too.
Actually there was opposition. The political answer was to rotate the primitive weapons season one year it took a week of archery season, next year it took a week of firearms season if I remember right.

That said the archery hunters didn’t really “lose” anything they could still hunt the entire season

strothershwacker

This is probably the most divided subject I've seen on the bear forum. I'm not against the dog hunters and wish em all the best. If they want prime hunting, and everyone wants to lower the bear population then the simple answer is to let em run em in late May. It might take a lil' longer to make it happen legally, but it'd be productive.

goshenmountainman

Actually there was opposition. The political answer was to rotate the primitive weapons season one year it took a week of archery season, next year it took a week of firearms season if I remember right.

That said the archery hunters didn’t really “lose” anything they could still hunt the entire season
Same for the proposed bear season! Just go somewhere else and keep hunting, no loss, same as muzzle loader.

jbogg

Comparing muzzleloader season to a dog hunt is apples and oranges. The guy hunting with a muzzleloader one ridge over doesn’t negatively affect my bow hunt at all, and vice versa. As has been previously stated by many who are familiar with the dog hunting, dog hunting will quickly alter daytime bear activity causing many of them to go nocturnal. Again, I’m not opposed to the dog hunt, just the timing. Dog hunters don’t need to rely on the acorn drop, because they use dogs! I understand it is very physically demanding, but it is not the same as trying to locate and hunt a bear without the use of dogs.

goshenmountainman

Comparing muzzleloader season to a dog hunt is apples and oranges. The guy hunting with a muzzleloader one ridge over doesn’t negatively affect my bow hunt at all, and vice versa. As has been previously stated by many who are familiar with the dog hunting, dog hunting will quickly alter daytime bear activity causing many of them to go nocturnal. Again, I’m not opposed to the dog hunt, just the timing. Dog hunters don’t need to rely on the acorn drop, because they use dogs! I understand it is very physically demanding, but it is not the same as trying to locate and hunt a bear without the use of dogs.
Maybe they need to make the hunts night time then. Two wma hunts are not going to affect the rest of the state..or the rest of public land.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

lampern

I was just looking at data from the counties bordering Georgia and seems like they are harvesting more deer than ever.