Bear hunts with dogs proposed for N GA WMAs

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was just looking at data from the counties bordering Georgia and seems like they are harvesting more deer than ever.
Now look at how many come from private land and how many from public. And keep in mind that some of these counties are 1/2 to 3/4 public land.

Rulo

Those in opposition to this latest proposal are wasting your time, ink, postage stamps, letters and emails.......

DNR gonna ram it down your throats like all the other stuff they ever propose and put up to public input.

The decision has been made. This is procedure prior to implementation.

strothershwacker

Keep in mind that just showing up at the public meetings and sitting there doesn't cast your "vote". Even if the guy right beside you states whats on yer mind, his comment is only recorded once. Stand up and speak your piece. It's being recorded. That's why this procedure is implemented! THE DECISION HAS NOT YET BEEN MADE. Social media whining is not considered when these changes are made.

tree cutter 08

Keep in mind that just showing up at the public meetings and sitting there doesn't cast your "vote". Even if the guy right beside you states whats on yer mind, his comment is only recorded once. Stand up and speak your piece. It's being recorded. That's why this procedure is implemented! THE DECISION HAS NOT YET BEEN MADE. Social media whining is not considered when these changes are made.
very true. When I was at the meeting in January seems like 3/4 of the folks there were dog hunters and everybody complained about the number of bears. I was skeptical about what was said would have any impact. It's plain as day the dnr did in fact hear and implement what they asked for. It does work folks, just need to show up and speak. I think being there in person does help. One of 2 folks opinion ain t gonna get anything done but when a crowd shows up it does as I seen it. I along with a few other folks mentioned no more does days on nf land. i was glad to see that the removal of doe days is proposed.

greg_n_clayton

Now look at how many come from private land and how many from public. And keep in mind that some of these counties are 1/2 to 3/4 public land.
This is true !! 75% of the land here in this county is USFS and/or Georgia Power ! Georgia Power to can be considered public. You just have to go by their land office and get a card that gives you permission to be their property.

greg_n_clayton

I was talking to some of the local guys here that are serious doggers. Of course they can only run & tree. But some of them go to S.C. and hunt their short hunt just across the river. It is crazy at what they pay. The permit to to be a nonresident observer is crazy high. Then tack the nonresident tags on that...it tears a $1000 bill up with little change for as short of a bear hunt that it is !

greg_n_clayton

Don't know but a few i talked to were from rabun.
You would be very surprised how few in Rabun bow hunt ! That being said, I would suggest the folks that "bow" hunt those w WMAs show up !! I wish is was quota hunts across the board for all mountain WMAs and USFS lands too !! Maybe 2 3 day weekend hunts or such !

greg_n_clayton

I will be at the meeting in Gainesville in opposition of this. This would leave bow hunters only three weeks to hunt and two of those would be after the two weeks of rifle/dog hunts.
We will see. I too as well as most up agree. The timing is wrong !

robert carter

I expect if hound hunters came through a spot on Friday and I wake up to hunt a hot spot I found on Saturday with my bow...I would see nothing if it was where the hounds were.
Still hunters seldom effect the guys around them. Dogs do.

ripplerider

I'm late to the party but whoever said that a December hunt would only affect boars since the sows would be denned up hasnt hunted in December in Georgia lately. Very few if any sows are denned up in December nowadays, at least if there's food in the woods. Let the dog hunters hunt then. Natural movement in daytime is at it's lowest but they still move at night.

What people are really missing is that on any given moment in time those WMA's only hold a couple bears. The odds of treeing one on the WMA is like hitting the lottery. More than likely they will be off of the WMA in a few minutes. lol I like that they are proposing a season but I know how that type of hunting works. It will be a complete joke. They need to do it across the entire CNF. Close down deer in archery for 1 week and allow the guys to hunt bears with dogs there.