Bear(s) attack guide and hunted. WY

twincedargap

I have a hard time with “client, Florida resident Corey Chubon, was able to phone authorities, was flown out of the wilderness and, despite injuries, is in good enough condition that he was flying out of Jackson Hole this afternoon.”

Assuming his guide gave his life to save him, guides remains not found for a day, is likely severely injured or deceased, and Mr.Chubon catches the first flight out? Seems to me there was lots of unfinished business to attend to, so what’s the rush?!?!

Last edited:

Bruin

If he had fired his pistol, every round would’ve probably ended up in the guide not the bear.

I’m curious how this story will affect the courts decision to allow the grizzly hunt to continue or not. The injunction should be up soon. This has been a problem that is going to continue to get worse. So far this year 52 problem grizzlies have been killed in the greater Yellowstone ecosystem alone.

Killer Kyle

As strange as this story is, in my mind, I can somewhat paint a likely picture of how this happened. Allegedly, there were two bears. Since wild, mature bears generally tend to not hang with one another, one could reasonably assume this is a sow with a cub. They recently found good protein, and there, winter is approaching quickly. Grizzly charges happen in the blink of an eye. Mama bear charges protecting protein and cub. Florida guy is terriffied to approach any further or to attract attention to himself, and hurls the pistol over his shoulder in the general direction of the guide as he sprints away 1/2 mile while the attention is off of himself. He knows nothing about bears, is in unfamiliar terrain, and terrified and called for help. Am I incorrect, or did the article never state the source of theFlorida mans injuries?

Could those injuries have been sustained in flight (twisted knee or dehydration), or were they directly from an actual bear attack? I can somewhat construct a story of how this all happened in my mind. I think though, that it all boils down to a Floridian having a firearm and not manning up, charging the battle, and slinging lead like a man should have. That is a demonstration in weakness of mind in critical moments, and lack of proficiency with firearms and woodsmanship in general. I'd rather be remembered as a man who died with a dead grizzly piled atop of himself after punching and stabbing it to death than a man who lived and tossed a pistol in the general direction of a dying man without ever having slung some lead.
The story also doesnt mention any details about the pistol. Does GA and that state have a reciprocal agreement in carry? Was this pistol the guides, or the clients?

twincedargap

Story says same bear attacked both guide and hunter. The 2nd bear didn’t participate in the attack, perhaps it was also drawn to the smell of the carcass.

leoparddog

From the bottom of the original article: "“Chubon was able to run to his pack gear a few yards away and retrieve a pistol but was unable to safely fire a shot at the bear that first struck Uptain,” the release said. “The attacking bear then spun, charged Chubon, grabbed his foot, and dragged him to the ground. He sustained injuries to his leg, chest, and arm, but was able to throw the gun to Uptain and get loose before running from the scene to phone for help. Initial reports indicate that the second bear did not engage either Chubon or Uptain.”

So it seems the Florida hunter did get attacked. Maybe throwing the gun to the guide, and the guide taking a shot at the bear is what got the bear off of the FL hunter. The bear then went back and attacked the guide again.

Horrible story, lots of unanswered questions. Sorry for the family of the guide who was killed likely while saving the life of the hunter.

leoparddog

A true tragedy. One error made was that since they weren't hunting and were recovering that Elk, they both should have been carrying their sidearms. Not one of them leaving it in their pack and not handy. In Grizzly country and dressing out an Elk, one guy should have been on guard duty while the other one worked.

Keep your gun on your hip and your head on a swivel.

Of course, easy for me to say this from my desk. The local guide knew they were in bear county and should have told his hunter/client to be armed and on watch.

This is one reason I wouldn't hunt Deer or Elk in Grizzly country alone. You need someone to watch your back.

Last edited:

leoparddog

http://www.wtxl.com/news/this-is-ho...cle_632c5116-bb45-11e8-8b00-f73a0d29d5dd.html

This is one of his wounds? The other scratch was even smaller. No stitches?!? I've gotten worse scratches from briars. I'd be too embarrassed to show this to a camera if I ran while the bear killed the other guy. The bear grabbed him and pulled him off the horse and this is it? I've been bitten by a dog and had worse wounds.

I'll change my tune now..I won't call him names but this looks like he slipped and fell as he ran away, not like a bear grabbed him and tossed him about with teeth and claws. This looks like he ran while someone died.

He should have stayed in the fight and emptied his gun. Maybe Mark would be alive. I hope his widow and 5 kids don't see this.

Capture.JPG