Bear's Den, Ace in the Hole?

twincedargap

So found what I'm thinking iis a bear's den on NF land. I figure if i'm wrong, someone here will quickly point it out.
Is this something that is hunt able? Anyone else tried to sit on a spot like this? BTW, it looked very, very fresh. Even with hair scattered on the rocks behind. w/all the crazy weather, can't imaging it would look like this if it was from last winter.

i-vQzHN5n-X3.jpg

Note hair on rock, think its bear not pig. I didn't get too close as I didn't want to leave too much scent.
i-jcwVLW7-X3.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Bears will lay up and sleep in places like that, but if that was a bear, he may be five miles or more away from there now, and may not come back there for a long time. The only time they use a "den" for an extended period of time is in the dead of winter, especially the females that are birthing cubs.

I wouldn't set up on that myself. Find the food that they are eating now.

goshenmountainman

I think those hairs may be a little to coarse for a bear, I think it may be hog hair, we have bayed a bunch of hogs in spots exactly like that, especially when its cold, and I bet its a south facing cliff, if it is I would almost bet money its a hog bed. They like to lay in there tight when its cold and the rocks collect heat to help them stay warm. And I just noticed that the ledge above the bed has mud on it.

twincedargap

I think those hairs may be a little to coarse for a bear, I think it may be hog hair, we have bayed a bunch of hogs in spots exactly like that, especially when its cold, and I bet its a south facing cliff, if it is I would almost bet money its a hog bed. They like to lay in there tight when its cold and the rocks collect heat to help them stay warm. And I just noticed that the ledge above the bed has mud on it.
I observed the hairs as short and fine. My son killed a hog a couple weeks ago and it was unlike its hair which was long and coarse. See circled hair in red. The bed faced N/NE oddly enough.9F59DFEA-74D8-407E-A6B4-EAC51FC01352.jpeg

goshenmountainman

It may be bear hair, I can't tell for sure unless I saw it in person. Some hogs I have killed had some fine hairs under the longer coarse hairs, what makes me think its a hog most is the mud on the rocks, on the ledge in the first pic and under the circle on the last pic. You can see how its almost polished with the mud on the rocks, most bear I have ever seen kept pretty clean and not alot of mud on any of them. I hope you get it so we can all know for sure. Being it was on the north side it would be a very cool spot for either one to hide and wait for dusk in this hot weather we been having.

Rabun

Whatever favors that spot it sure looks gamey. It's cool finding spots like this whenb roaming about.

tree cutter 08

I'm with goshen, I think it's a hog. When you zoom in, it looks like I see a hog track. Those rock cliffs are interesting places. I've found deer bedding on top of South facing rock cliffs in cold weather. The bear beds I've found are usually against a big tree, in laural, on a South slope. They are dug out about a foot deep.