Beef rib prep and cooking questions

mhayes

Looking for options on ways to cook and prep my beef ribs. we have our cows processed and right now i have a freezer full of ribs. But I haven't found a way to properly cook them yet. They are obviously fattier than pork ribs. I tried different ways but cannot seem to cook the majority of that fat out of them. A co worker has told me to boil them first. Has anyone else tried that? How long should i boil them? I have some rubbed down and awaiting the smoker for tomorrow.
What is your best way to prep and cook them?
I am not talking about fat on bottom of bone or top of meat. I am trying to get rid of as much of the fat in between the meat layers.
Thanks for any info guys.

Matt

mhayes

I have smoked them at that temp a few times now. How long exactly I am not sure. But even when they are good and tender I still have a think layer of fat between the two meat layers. really not much thinner than it was before we started cooking. Less than half the fat melts away. It is way more fat that what you would eat on the edges of your steak. You have to cut these and trim fat before eating.

little rascal

If they are the big meaty Un-trimmed beef ribs you will never render all the fat. Cut'em into 2 bone or 3 bone sections and heavy on salt and pepper and smoke somewhere between 250 and 275 until they shrink considerably. If you wanna do a whole slab, trim down the top until you get Shiners(bones showing) that is what most grocery stores sell, you can do those a little hotter and the meat is between the bones.