Been a unique season this year, but here are my two so far....

buckeroo

I am used to hunting tight-lipped mountain birds that like to slip in silently, so I was tickled to kill one the second weekend of the season that gobbled from roost to gun and ended the hunt at 7:36 am. This bird was my heaviest to date and had the best spurs to date at 1.5". This was a bad way to start the season after getting skunked last year. I thought to myself that this was way too easy and this year is looking up already!

Fast forward the rest of the season up to this morning and I didn't hear a gobble...not one. I KNOW I was around birds, but never could connect or even hear one. I searched high and low and couldnt hear a dang gobble to save my life. I heard similar stories from other buddies of mine too. I also tried to sit and call em' in since that is more my style.

This morning I did a before work, unplanned hunt since our toddler snuck into our bed last night and accidentally kicked me in the nose and woke me up at 4:45. I was up for good and decided to slip away for a quick AM hunt. I went in blind with low expectations, but happy to get some woods therapy. I was calling after good daylight and not hearing anything. At about 7:30 a dang gobbler let one lone single gooble rip about 15 yards from me to my right. I froze and cut my eyes over and couldnt see him. I was too afraid to work my gun over to my other knee for the shot since I couldnt see where he was and since HE WAS CLOSE! About 3 minutes later he appeared and I must have had a great setup since he didnt notice me. He slipped between me and a big white oak which afforded me an opportunity to ease my gun over. When he stepped out from behind the tree, I let the ol' Browning pump 12 roll. I was done by 7:45!!

It has been a fun season even if most of the heart of the season was a struggle. I am thankful for these two birds. Gonna hit some of my deep mountain spots now if I get time.

My little buddy was as tickled as me about this bird! LOL.

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
CONGRATS!

Great read and birds! Thanks for sharing!

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Jr. needs to kick you in the nose more often. Worked out pretty good for you. Congrats on a fine season already. Nice pics.

chrislibby88

Sounds like my season almost. Got two a week apart in early April. They were on fire in my neck of the woods, until the past two weeks. Now I’m lucky to hear one or two roost gobbles in the morning, after flydown they go silent.

jlt4800

Congratulations on 2 fine birds and good luck on your last tag.
I too was blessed to take 2 Tom's early April exactly 1 week apart...I should have known better than to think I could take it easy and not hunt as often so I wouldn't end my season too early!! Lol
What was I thinking....I've been on a bird now going on 2 seasons and he has whooped my tail again so far.

wvdawg

Staff member
Fine season so far. Congrats!

Latest posts