Beginner Turkey Hunter

Huntmaster2

I have been turkey hunting a total of about 4 times in my life, until this year. I really became interested in turkey hunting this past season. Interested enough, that I hunted an entire week straight, primarily on public land. Hunting turkeys is much different than any other hunting I have ever done. Less sitting and waiting and more opportunity to bring the game to you by calling. I found turkey hunting improved my woodsmanship especially when trying to make out turkey sign and patterns.

With all that said, I didn't manage to kill one of those wary old public land birds!:ROFLMAO: But my success isn't measured by the kill. I learned a lot and was able to see a lot of springtime that I usually don't get to see.

I just wanted to thank everyone here for the information provided on the forum. Needless to say, ya'll have me addicted now!IMG_20180501_190127149.jpgIMG_20180502_172055839.jpgIMG_20180502_173518430.jpgIMG_20180508_191258789_HDR.jpgIMG_20180510_144715930.jpg

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
When you have an encounter or two, you'll get a feel for it. It's a peaceful fun time of the year.

six

And their tracks always look like they're giving you the finger. I take that personal.

Glad you enjoyed it, next year will be even better!

ol bob

Welcome on board just to let let you know it's easy getting into it almost impossible to stop.

Covehnter

With all that said, I didn't manage to kill one of those wary old public land birds!:ROFLMAO: But my success isn't measured by the kill. I learned a lot and was able to see a lot of springtime that I usually don't get to see.

It sounds like you're already leagues ahead of many with this mindset. Keep measuring success by your experiences and you'll be sifting through piles of beards before long. Fishing will never be the same.

Huntmaster2

It sounds like you're already leagues ahead of many with this mindset. Keep measuring success by your experiences and you'll be sifting through piles of beards before long. Fishing will never be the same.
Thanks Cove, it's easy to get caught up in thinking the kill makes the hunt. Turkey hunting can be frustrating, but I enjoy the challenge.