Beliefs

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Thats a big can of worms Bro David.
Over 40,000 Christian denominations all with a different "revealing" of various scriptures.
Can of worms it does open, but he’s on target.

Everyone isn’t right in their “interpretation”.

Artfuldodger

Does a man get faith because he did something or did God decide to give it to that man?

This question is for all of you who "liked" the post as well.

I would like to think that God gives it to them based on grace and not works. That Jesus is revealed through the Holy Spirit.
What I don't understand is why does it appear that God gives this gift, based on grace and not works, to more children of Christians than Hindu children?

Maybe he doesn't and it just "appears" that he does.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Does a man get faith because he did something or did God decide to give it to that man?

This question is for all of you who "liked" the post as well.
According to scripture, God dealt to EVERY man the measure of faith. That includes you.

j_seph

I would like to think that God gives it to them based on grace and not works. That Jesus is revealed through the Holy Spirit.
What I don't understand is why does it appear that God gives this gift, based on grace and not works, to more children of Christians than Hindu children?

Maybe he doesn't and it just "appears" that he does.
Bible says all have a measure of faith

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Because all are not.
Is it safe to say that most believe that they are right in their interpretation and also think that others are incorrect in their interpretations?
(Basically saying "I" am of the special ones...."I" don't know about those others)

Are you one of the ones who are able to interpret correctly?
Are you able to recognize any others that "get it"?......how about the ones that don't?

Ps,I am not pointing a finger...I am curious to know how a person knows "they've got it" and another doesn't.

Last edited:

WaltL1

Because all are not.
Without knowing for a fact what is right or what is wrong leaves open the possibility of that none are right.
Same reason that I don't claim the Big Bang as we understand it is absolutely right.
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if our understanding of what the Big Bang is took a sharp left turn tomorrow. Might still be a Bang but our understanding of it could change as we learn more.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Is it safe to say that most believe that they are right in their interpretation and also think that others are incorrect in their interpretations?
(Basically saying "I" am of the special ones...."I" don't know about those others)

Are you one of the ones who are able to interpret correctly?
Are you able to recognize any others that "get it"?......how about the ones that don't?

Ps,I am not pointing a finger...I am curious to know how a person knows "they've got it" and another doesn't.
Without knowing for a fact what is right or what is wrong leaves open the possibility of that none are right.
Same reason that I don't claim the Big Bang as we understand it is absolutely right.
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if our understanding of what the Big Bang is took a sharp left turn tomorrow. Might still be a Bang but our understanding of it could change as we learn more.
You’re both correct and it’s reasonable to think that everyone believes they are right.

The way I view this is if those scriptures are the inspired word of God through the spirit, it only seems logical that interpretation of those would be in spirit. And if a man believes that God works in mysterious ways, how does he know how God is or isn’t working with another man through scripture? It is as we understand it. That understanding will develop but it has to begin somewhere at its never at the same starting point.

So at what point is a man wrong in his interpretation? I realize there’s the obvious of “God told me to kill that man” or the Jim Jones cases.

I’ve always said that if a man is honestly seeking, regardless of how he interprets right now, he will eventually get there.

One reason I never tell a man I’m right and he’s wrong. I think if our motives are right, we will both get it before it’s over.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
You’re both correct and it’s reasonable to think that everyone believes they are right.

The way I view this is if those scriptures are the inspired word of God through the spirit, it only seems logical that interpretation of those would be in spirit. And if a man believes that God works in mysterious ways, how does he know how God is or isn’t working with another man through scripture? It is as we understand it. That understanding will develop but it has to begin somewhere at its never at the same starting point.

So at what point is a man wrong in his interpretation? I realize there’s the obvious of “God told me to kill that man” or the Jim Jones cases.

I’ve always said that if a man is honestly seeking, regardless of how he interprets right now, he will eventually get there.

One reason I never tell a man I’m right and he’s wrong. I think if our motives are right, we will both get it before it’s over.
The disagreement in here and above among believers who are all SURE they understand it leads me to think that it is more likely than not that no God/Spirit has a hand in it at all. If so everyone would be in exact agreement.
And the fact that believers who use ANYTHING other than the bible written in its original language are arguing over and "understanding " a version that differs from the original. So if anything, MAYBE someone who was able to read, study and discuss the 1st version MIGHT have a better understanding than most, and all those who are basing their interpretations from the different versions are literally basing their beliefs on an imposter.
Don't for a second argue that the words you use as your guide now are the same words used then or that the message is kind of sort of the same, so "close enough" works.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
The disagreement in here and above among believers who are all SURE they understand it leads me to think that it is more likely than not that no God/Spirit has a hand in it at all. If so everyone would be in exact agreement.
And the fact that believers who use ANYTHING other than the bible written in its original language are arguing over and "understanding " a version that differs from the original. So if anything, MAYBE someone who was able to read, study and discuss the 1st version MIGHT have a better understanding than most, and all those who are basing their interpretations from the different versions are literally basing their beliefs on an imposter.
Don't for a second argue that the words you use as your guide now are the same words used then or that the message is kind of sort of the same, so "close enough" works.
Key word to all of that is “self”.

I do read numerous commentaries and explanations of a Chapter and I’m not ever surprised they’re not the same. That never makes the Bible incorrect.

How many threads have been hammered in the hunting forum with “I think” or “it means” over game laws? Were the game laws wrong?

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
One of the biggest and hardest obstacles to overcome in religion is “self”.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Key word to all of that is “self”.

I do read numerous commentaries and explanations of a Chapter and I’m not ever surprised they’re not the same. That never makes the Bible incorrect.

How many threads have been hammered in the hunting forum with “I think” or “it means” over game laws? Were the game laws wrong?
What version of the Bible?
Honest....

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
What version of the Bible?
Honest....
I use KJV. But there’s not a great deal of differences in most versions. Some are easier to read. But to me the KJV is most consistent.

ambush80

One of the biggest and hardest obstacles to overcome in religion is “self”.

The biggest, hardest obstacle for society to overcome is the notion that a scripture is the infallible word of God. If a man believes that he understands it correctly, there's no way of talking him out of doing something that he thinks is God's will. Reason will no longer matter to him.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
The biggest, hardest obstacle for society to overcome is the notion that a scripture is the infallible word of God. If a man believes that he understands it correctly, there's no way of talking him out of doing something that he thinks is God's will. Reason will no longer matter to him.
Self is the reason the minority of the population is still struggling with being confident with that.

Seems it would be so easy to put to rest if you were.

WaltL1

he will eventually get there.
Will eventually get where?
To the correct understanding? And what is that?
When the correct understanding is unknown, the only place he will get is to a place which satisfies him. Not necessarily the correct place.
Thats why there is `40,000 denominations. Folks weren't satisfied with "there" but they are satisfied with "here".

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I use KJV. But there’s not a great deal of differences in most versions. Some are easier to read. But to me the KJV is most consistent.
Most consistent compared to what?