Bench

rosewood

Wired with 12 gauge and 20 amp circuits right? With a 220 just in case.

rayjay

You have enough room ...… right now :)

milling machine and lathe.JPG

Jester896

Senior Clown
Wired with 12 gauge and 20 amp circuits right? With a 220 just in case.
:D Correct, all wire is 12ga...the 4 recepticles over this bench are on a 20A, the 4 with the Dillon on it are on a separate 20A, The GFIC on the wall, the recepticle over the center workbench/table and the outside recepticle are on a separate 20A circut. Each side of light banks are on a 20A circuit. The A/C is on its own 20A circuit. Then the remaining 5 recepticles are on a 20A circuit. There are 2 220V receptacles with 10g...one on each long wall in the middle.

You have enough room ...… right now :)

to late in life to get a Bridgeport and a lathe :)

rayjay

Building my own competitive match rifles was kinda a bucket list item that I didn't realize was on the list until I started shooting BR [ which was another nearly forgotten bucket list thing ].

rayjay

When I bought the stuff I envisioned myself building quite a few rifles [ for myself, not to sell, too many liability issues]. The problem is that you then have to acquire brass, powder, primers, bullets, gas to the range, more brass, bullets, powder, primers as you do load development. What I actually did is build a 6mmBeggs on a 40X rec and a 30BR on a drop port Viper. That was about it. I did fit other prechambered bbls to the 40X. I also intended to fit another 6Beggs bbl to the Viper but I just shot the 30BR in both group and score matches.

On the other hand I have built and bbled and fiddled quite a few rimfires. On a 22 match rifle you still have to do ammo lot testing but that's it. All that reloading time can be spent ammo testing and match shooting. Plus, little noise, inconsequential recoil, no brass chasing, etc. It turns out that doing a BR level performing 22LR chamber is much more difficult that a CF chamber. It took the purchase of a $900 borescope to see the problem.

Jester896

Senior Clown
They help see many things. I currently have a 22" and 7". I kinda played with the Lyman video one the other day...not as clear as the Hawkeye but would certainly check to see if your barrel is pretty clean.

Jester896

Senior Clown
trust me...it won't take me a minute to junk that up.
I think I discovered...I just may be a Pack Rat...I am still finding .224 projectiles in holes. I found an ammo can of OF LC '66 & '67 .308 Match today...forgot I even had it.

JeffinPTC

Jester nice looking reloading area .....I did spot that CoAx right off ...

I need to "rebuild" my area as it is "well worn" ....

I built a heavy top storage cabinet with a "foot hole" in the middle ....

I just really need to up date it ... New drawer slides ...better latches .... and as you can see in these photos a new top layer(I think I'll just new a cabinet veneer over the well aged plywood ....

Just in case you'd like to shorten your stroke on the CoAx for short cartridges ....

Jimmy,
Where did you get the short stroke for the Coax? I Googled and found this site:
https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/forster-co-ax
but don't see the kit.
And did anyone find a long spent primer tube?
Lots of Goodies for Dillon too at Inline

Jeff

Jester896

Senior Clown
The Q/C riser I have is In-Line Fabrication as well as the rack on the wall. In the pic it just has bins on it but now there is a shop towel roll and some shelving attached to it.
I'm still looking for the Co-Ax jar and tube :) I may end up making one with a clear tube like the RCBS has.

BriarPatch99

Jimmy,
Where did you get the short stroke for the Coax? I Googled and found this site:
https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/forster-co-ax
but don't see the kit.
And did anyone find a long spent primer tube?
Lots of Goodies for Dillon too at Inline

Jeff

Jeff .... I made it ..... It is a 5/16 NFT bolt with the head ground to match the taper of the Forster bolt ... And a piece of aluminum tube that just slides over it .....

I can give you the measurements tomorrow when I go down to the shop...

Jester896

Senior Clown
Jeff .... I made it

I caught the bolt in the pick but didn't know what the tube was..looks chromed.
Love the powder measure stand you made!

I got bullets, primers, and powder out there and shelved today before I bumped over to Chickasawhatchee Range to shoot my .22.
After I finished putting primers in the cabinet (gray cabinet on left of bench) and came inside I found 5 more 8s and 4 more 1# so I will have to redo this again.
IMG_2470.jpg

Maybe I will still have room for brass when I get these shoved in on the next shelf
IMG_2472_LI.jpg

BriarPatch99

I caught the bolt in the pick but didn't know what the tube was..looks chromed.

It is polished aluminum tube.... and it was 1/4" inside . ..but I drilled it to 5/16" to slide over the bolt . ... the bolt just happened to be the longest I had in stock ... a piece of copper would work ...anything to stop the lower unit at the same time as the jaws open ... some adjustments with the bolt threads....

Big7

The Oracle
:D Correct, all wire is 12ga...the 4 recepticles over this bench are on a 20A, the 4 with the Dillon on it are on a separate 20A, The GFIC on the wall, the recepticle over the center workbench/table and the outside recepticle are on a separate 20A circut. Each side of light banks are on a 20A circuit. The A/C is on its own 20A circuit. Then the remaining 5 recepticles are on a 20A circuit. There are 2 220V receptacles with 10g...one on each long wall in the middle.

to late in life to get a Bridgeport and a lathe :)
You would be very amazed at what you can do with a Bridgeport. That would be the very first thing I would buy. Even if you get a "not so great one" the ways are EASILY reworked. I can flake the ways, all axis- in 1 day.

Everyone's bench looks so good. I'll be glad when I move, end of June. I need to put mine back tohether.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Bench surface question for those with knowledge.....

I'm building a bench now.

I have the wood cut and am putting on coats of stain.

I will be using two 24" x 48" x 3/4" thick sections of plywood for the top. They will be on top of each other.

I was also considering using a 1/3" thick piece of black hdpe on top of the plywood. Do you think this would be a good bench surface or not ?

I'll be using an Inline Fabrication Ultramount riser mount for the press. Was hoping this would better distribute the force/weight and get it set back further from the edge of my 24" deep x 48" smallish bench.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'll be using an Inline Fabrication Ultramount riser mount for the press. Was hoping this would better distribute the force/weight and get it set back further from the edge of my 24" deep x 48" smallish bench.

I used the mid-sized rise for my Q/C. I need to get you a close up picture, I don't think it is going to do what you want. Even on my other bench I had to notch it so the RCBS press wouldn't hit it. With the mount the handle will hit rather than the linkage at the bottom of the ram. Maybe I can get a video and upload it.

I had to turn the air up last night...it was 72 in there and 46%RH

Dub

I used the mid-sized rise for my Q/C. I need to get you a close up picture, I don't think it is going to do what you want. Even on my other bench I had to notch it so the RCBS press wouldn't hit it. With the mount the handle will hit rather than the linkage at the bottom of the ram. Maybe I can get a video and upload it.

I had to turn the air up last night...it was 72 in there and 46%RH

I'm definitely going with their QC plate, too.

Big7

The Oracle
Bench surface question for those with knowledge.....

I'm building a bench now.

I have the wood cut and am putting on coats of stain.

I will be using two 24" x 48" x 3/4" thick sections of plywood for the top. They will be on top of each other.

I was also considering using a 1/3" thick piece of black hdpe on top of the plywood. Do you think this would be a good bench surface or not ?

2/3rds of mine have a 3X3x3/4 slab of polyethylene as a work surface. It's about as durable as you can find. Polypropylene will do the same. They are very similar materials. The polyethylene (the ethylene part) is to make straight polypropylene a little softer. You won't know the difference making a bench. Both are petroleum product. It's a little slick. Very strong and easy to clean. I'd say go with it. I have and never looked back. PS... Hardwood butcher block is also a great building material. Oh... Another PS. Thin sheats will get static if not grounded. Thick sheets are not a problem. Hope this helps ?

Latest posts