Bench

Jester896

Senior Clown
I used the Junior Ultra mount

This is the mount from my old bench. I drilled and threaded the steel plate the press was mounted on. From the 2X4 the front edge of the steel was 2 3/4" and I had to notch the 2X4 for the Rockchucker to work.

IMG_2473.jpg

From the front edge of the table 1 1/4"

IMG_2480.jpg

Ram down clearance 1 3/4"

IMG_2475.jpg

Ram Up clearance 3/4"

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

Reactions: Dub

Dub

2/3rds of mine have a 3X3x3/4 slab of polyethylene as a work surface. It's about as durable as you can find. Polypropylene will do the same. They are very similar materials. The polyethylene (the ethylene part) is to make straight polypropylene a little softer. You won't know the difference making a bench. Both are petroleum product. It's a little slick. Very strong and easy to clean. I'd say go with it. I have and never looked back. PS... Hardwood butcher block is also a great building material. Oh... Another PS. Thin sheats will get static if not grounded. Thick sheets are not a problem. Hope this helps ?

Sounds great. Thanks for the insight.

I recently saw someone use it in their bench plans and it appeared to be a very smooth work surface that would be great for gun cleaning & such. My reloading bench will also get used as a gun workbench.

My only concern was that it may be too soft and yielding, but it sounds like it worked well for you. (y)

Did you have any issues drilling through the stuff with the same bits you use for drilling wood ?

I used the Junior Ultra mount

This is the mount from my old bench. I drilled and threaded the steel plate the press was mounted on. From the 2X4 the front edge of the steel was 2 3/4" and I had to notch the 2X4 for the Rockchucker to work.

View attachment 969615

From the front edge of the table 1 1/4"

View attachment 969611

Ram down clearance 1 3/4"

View attachment 969612

Ram Up clearance 3/4"

View attachment 969613

View attachment 969614

Great looking setup, right there.

I'm going to assume you found the QC aspect to still give you a rock solid lockdown ? I've yet to read of any complaints from any owners.

I appreciate you posting up your placement positions. Thank you....very helpful to see it mounted.

That Junior really appears to get the force distributed nicely across the bench surface. Exactly what I wanted to do.

A second QC plate on the other side of the bench may really prove useful for a vice, single stage press, trimming/swaging/etc tools. Useful system he's put together.

Late yesterday afternoon an email came through from Dan at Inline. I'd given him my current ceiling height, bench dimensions and expected press dimensions (once the case feeder is added).

He recommended the Jr once given my dimensions. He's got a good thing going with that mount system.

I'll take more measurements once my bench's base is finally assembled and in place. Wood parts are getting their coats of stain, now. The humidity in the garage is slowing down the process somewhat. Glad I decided to set up this small bench indoors. :rofl:

I'm thinking that I'll be more comfortable with the tallest mount when standing....and it'll simply cramp loading the case feeder. I may simply hold off on the case feeder until we move.

I'll know more once I get the bench finished...may add one more layer to the bench top if I decide to use a piece of 3/4" hdpe on top of the dual plywood sheets. Leaning in this direction currently, but was concerned the surface would be overly "soft" and yielding.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have also thought about picking up the flush type for the project table (center table) to mount the swagger or vice, etc.. I am running out of wall space fast :).

I haven't loaded on it yet but the 2X6 support that I put under it should hold it well. I used the 1 1/2" edge of the top/leg support for the front screw (3 sides) and added support for the left rear position. I did stand on the handle a little and the RC seems solid

Dub

I have also thought about picking up the flush type for the project table (center table) to mount the swagger or vice, etc.. I am running out of wall space fast :).

I haven't loaded on it yet but the 2X6 support that I put under it should hold it well. I used the 1 1/2" edge of the top/leg support for the front screw (3 sides) and added support for the left rear position. I did stand on the handle a little and the RC seems solid

Oh yeah....I'll bet it's going to be very solid.

Just went out and checked the progress of my stain. I'm not liking what was planned on being the top surface. Even sanding the plywood prior the Minwax Polyshades stuff is not smooth at all on top. I suppose I could sand it down and then use actual polyurethane coating on top and eventually get it smooth.....but I"m not spending anymore time on this temporary inside bench. It's going to wind up going into the garage when we move and become a workbench, anyway. The press, mounts, and such will be transferred over to the mancave. I'd like to have some nice built in cabinets & bench space set up on a wall.

I wouldn't have spent anytime at all staining it....but figured it come closer to getting the wife's approval if it was. :rofl:

Having a shop like you have there is beyond awesome. (y)

Jester896

Senior Clown
I just used Linseed Oil on mine. Doubt it is that hard of a finish.

I saw some built in stuff on another site like you are talking about. The guy found a deal on butcher block type counter top in the Pensacola area and his looks good. It is sit level instead of stand/stool height.

Dang Jester, you going commercial on us? Looks great!!

I have thought about getting an 06 or 07 and doing custom loads for folks and maybe assembling MSRs. I just don't want to be in competing business with my buddy/shooting partner. He has customers he does that for.

BriarPatch99

Jeff....

The aluminum tube is .5" in diameter, 1 .51" long, 5 /16" inter diameter. ..

The bolt is 5/16" NF . ..3.12" long end to tip. .. basically a 3" bolt with the head ground to match the Forster bolt taper . ...

I try to keep about half the bolt thread screwed into the the base .... works well for most pistol cartridges....

Jester896

Senior Clown
Got back after it a little bit today.
Got some of my rifle brass sorted...that took most of the day it would seem.
Sorted by MFG then counts...I might be backwards. Most people throw it all together and sort it out when they need it. Some is ready to load some needs to be sized and loaded.

IMG_2525.jpg

Haven't made it to WSMs yet. 9mm, 45ACP, .223, and .308 are in 5 gal buckets.

Jester896

Senior Clown
The nice thing is finding stuff I forgot I had. It has been scattered in so many different places. It is nice to finally have room to put it all in one place so to speak. Need to work on the Dillon and Mac table after i get the project table cleaned off.

rayjay

I have all sorts of parts I bought for projects that never got beyond the parts buying phase.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I hear ya...I don't even own a .243 or 7mm-08 and have new brass for one :D

I have all of these see thru plastic parts boxes and AR and 700 parts everywhere that should be in them...they're all coming together...soon I hope ;)

rosewood

Man, I have had reloading dies for guns I don't own...

rosewood

The only thing in Jester's stash I don't load for is the 25-06. :)
Although, I do think I have a half dozen or so pieces of brass I got in a trade..

rayjay

I once used a piece of range pickup WSSM brass to make an EGR filter for a 4.3 Chevy. Nothing else would have worked. These are the sorts of things that encourage hoarding !!!

Jester896

Senior Clown
The only thing in Jester's stash I don't load for is the 25-06. :)
Although, I do think I have a half dozen or so pieces of brass I got in a trade..

I think that is my all time favorite deer round...can't tell you how many times I have been able to see the fur fly. That is also the only rifle I have ever had a 3fer with.

Man, I have had reloading dies for guns I don't own...

you can bet I have .243 and 7mm08 dies too :D.

I found more boxes of brass yesterday afternoon...need to get that added. I have 2 lifetime supplies of .270. I know I have more 300 Win Mag brass too somewhere.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Well...first time I have worked a project on my new bench. I'm using the RCBS press on my Inline Fab mount...verdict is still out...feels spongy to me.

This is also the first time I have used a press since I shredded my Distal tendon a little...sitting here watching in spasm right now...I felt it a little Sunday but I managed to get 100 .308 once fired cases through the SB die after annealing them...maybe I can finish it up tomorrow night if I get home early enough.

Dub

Shame you can’t spray some case lube on that tendon and calm it down. :rofl:

Hope it eases up for you. Sounds like you got it done, though.

What do you think is the reason for the spongy feeling setup ?