Beneath Stihl Waters

olcaptain

Many of you are not aware of the dilemma that we have been facing the last 6-8 weeks here on Crooked Creek. Sure, we have fished, played and swam in her waters but our efforts have been limited. Early in the summer we had a stretch of two or more weeks of almost constant rain. The rain saturated the soil thus weakening the tree roots along the creek. During that time the soft soil gave way upstream and a huge Hickory tree fell completely across the creek! Much like the bars across a canoe our efforts to paddle upstream to the old bridge were immediately thwarted!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Crooked Creek is dear to me. It is a tool that I use to take guests back in time. A way of escape from the cares of life if only for a few hours on a summer morning or late afternoon. It is a place where men look back and dream of their childhood and boys dream about one day becoming a man. Not being able to go all the way past the bridge and beyond I felt like a trucker stuck in Atlanta on I-75 but wanting to be in Detroit. Although for some time I’ve felt somewhat constipated by our situation I tried to make the most of it.

We have friends who kayak the creek on the weekend, but I knew if the creek was to ever be cleared I would probably have to lead the project.

5.jpg

I am far more comfortable with a camera or a keyboard than I am a chainsaw, but I knew who I could count on to get the job done. Danny Blair is a Renaissance man who is equally comfortable in the pilot seat of an airplane, bush hogging on a tractor or standing waist deep in the cool Stihl waters of Crooked Creek. Asking Danny to help with this project was like saying “Amen” to the preacher or “Sick-em” to a dog! I knew immediately that he was in for the win and that once he worked his magic we could sail free and clear all the way to the old bridge and beyond!

3.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

We met at the house around 10:00 AM and by 11:30 AM we were at the bridge! Because of my friend many others will now enjoy the fact that the creek is clear to explore again. The water now runs free and there are adventures on the horizon.
14.jpg

12.jpg

Until today I didn’t know that a chain saw could kick up more water than a Jet Ski but that is just one of the small lessons I learned today Beneath Stihl waters.

16.jpg

15.jpg

Thank you, Danny, You are the best!

NugeForPres

Nothing like the sound of a good two stroke, the smell of mixed exhaust, and the sight of chips flying. Good help, in your case, is definitely not hard to find! Good work!

Papa Bear

Glad your buddies helped clear your path to the bridge. Noticed a lot of trees in Lanier this year due to high lake Ievels this year also. Guess the good Lord is providing us some new brush piles to fish!

SlowMotion

I'm glad you were able to get the creek reopened. When we were up there a few weeks ago I didn't realize it was still blocked. We didn't venture past the open flat area where the creek gets shallow.

PappyHoel

Thanks to Danny we can hear many more stories from OlCaptain. Keep them coming sir, i always enjoy your posts.

ThomasCobb123

Did you stumble on to any cottonmouth moccasins lounging in any of that growth and tangle of limbs? I am paranoid about those things...I'm always looking here, there, sideways, etc.etc. Just curious, that's all..? (you and your friend did a great job. I'm surprised that some pest "official" didn't show up, with gun, badge, and attitude wanting to know.."Ya'll got a permit to do that? Here you gotta' have a permit or I'm gonna' have to let Judge Friendly fine you"..)