Berry college quota hunt help...

Hey guys,
I was drawn on the Berry college rifle hunt for Oct. 31st - Nov. 3rd... I was hoping to get some info or tips. Also was hoping to hear from a few of you that had success or didn't have success. All info is greatly appreciated!

Maddogg

I also got picked for the first hunt. I have never hunted there before. It would be great to get some tips on this WMA.

Jonboater

As said above hunt as high on the mountain or ridges you can go. Everybody hunting down low will push all the deer up to you. By the second day your be cover up in deer. Start walking to your stand 11/2 before daylight so you can breaks going up,and get to your spot well before daylight. Then kick back and let everyone coming in at daylight push deer to you.

BuckNasty83

I've hunted the first hunt the past few years. Going for 2nd hunt this season. I see a ton of deer, I just don't shoot them. I'm that crazy guy looking for a monster there lol jk kinda. The first hunt is always hot, be prepared for that. That's why I'm going 2nd hunt. Be careful of the REFUGE ZONES. These are safe zones for deer and no hunters allowed. But if you can set next to one, or a trail leading to or from, you'll get plenty of action. I know of a few secret sweet spots, but rather not share publicly. Forget the 1.5 hour. Head out 2-3 hours before you could. Hunters will park with you and even follow you in. Most guys will set up on the clear cuts, then the others will be on the ridges and draws. Study an updated map and you can avoid that if you know what your looking for. Again be careful of boundaries cause the maps are usually dated. You can scout all year, but it's open to bow hunters and the gates will be locked shut. So a bicycle would be ideal if you plan to scout. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until the day before the hunt and scout with EVERYONE. Good luck, there is plenty of deer there

ucfireman

I hunted it years ago. Easy to get away from the crowds if you want. Everyone seems to be close to the campus as close to the no hunting boundary as the can. Back then there were deer everywhere, dint know about now. I hunted around the dove fields in Armurchee, didn't see a soul. Didn't kill anything but saw plenty. I found an old road and walked about 3/4 mile along it and sat right on it on the ground. Good luck.

BuckNasty83

I hunted it years ago. Easy to get away from the crowds if you want. Everyone seems to be close to the campus as close to the no hunting boundary as the can. Back then there were deer everywhere, dint know about now. I hunted around the dove fields in Armurchee, didn't see a soul. Didn't kill anything but saw plenty. I found an old road and walked about 3/4 mile along it and sat right on it on the ground. Good luck.
Not lately. They have been doing clear cuts past few years and that's where the masses are. Lol last year, we seen a guy sitting on the powerline TOWER in the middle of clear cut off little texas valley.

chrisn1818

I stood at the dove field parking lot and counted 7 orange vests on the edge of the dove field hanging in trees ? It was comical to me. I would go somewhere on the mountain as well.

175FO

Are all of the roads through the WMA open during the quota hunt there or are there certain spots you have to park and walk in from?

gnumadic

I drew a tag for this, too. Can you check in the day before the hunt starts? And what days are the least crowded (Wed-Sat)? And do people tend to come and go, or typically stay all day?

I'm going to have to cut out early on Wednesday to take my kids trick-or-treating. I want to get remote/away from the beaten path, but I also live an hour away.

shootemall

I drew a tag for this, too. Can you check in the day before the hunt starts? And what days are the least crowded (Wed-Sat)? And do people tend to come and go, or typically stay all day?

I'm going to have to cut out early on Wednesday to take my kids trick-or-treating. I want to get remote/away from the beaten path, but I also live an hour away.

Yes you can check in the day before. Like most wma, it's less crowded during the week days. The roads will be unlocked. Game warden once told me only about half the people who drew hunts show up for any given hunt. You can check in the day before. Good luck all!

gtmcwhorter

I’m new to quota hunts and quite frankly don’t really enjoy deer hunting (I’m an avid waterfowler) but i put in and got drawn too. If you want to buddy up let me know. I’m gonna Hunt all day the 1st and 2nd. Gotta be home with the kids for Halloween and it’s 2-2.5 hours for me to get there. Gonna camp out there.

gtmcwhorter

I didn’t end up going. Long story

tactnuke

I'm getting ready for the 2nd hunt. Has anyone heard how the first hunt went? Are you better off going in early or later the day ahead to out in a stand?

dhebard

I put in for Berry for the first time this year, not expecting to be picked, but I was! I am excited to say the least. I have never done a quota hunt before. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I am confused though, I was awarded this...

(2022 Deer) Berry College WMA - 1st Hunt Either Sex Last Day: 11/02/2022 - 11/05/2022

Does this mean, I can only hunt on 11/05?

Bud Man

I don't put in for quota hunts, but based on the information you just provided I would assume that that is the first Berry college hunt, from 11/2 -11/5. 11/2, 11/3 and 11/4 are buck only and 11/5 would be the only day for either sex. I don't have a regulations book in front of me. That's just my guess that the meaning of that. Good luck I've heard there's some good hunting at berry