Best 6.5 Creedmoor ammo for deer

Jim Boyd

Been a long time since I shot a deer with a gun but a 7mm08 with hand loaded 140 TSX Barnes was the nearest thing I have ever seen to a death ray on deer.

I would say if you can find a TSX that the 6.5 likes, it should perform very well for you.

This is simply an opinion but in my experience it is not what you shoot them with - it is WHERE you shoot them. I know that is another subject altogether and is not meant to derail this fine thread.

Good luck!

Last edited:

baddave

this is like any question on guns and ammo .. ask 10 people and get 11 different answers .. i used my new 260 on 2 bucks last year .. one @ 40yds w. 140 gr sgk .. tore his heart in half ( if that's a good thing) .. shot another @ 88 yds w/ 123gr sst and we both were very impressed ..both bullets are moving @ apprx 2750 fps .. i agree w/just reload and try ..:cheers:

MCW1984

Shot three with 120 grain Hornady gmx from 80 to 140 yards all three dropped and had a golf ball size hole bored through them. I'm trying 130 vld hunters loaded by copper Creek this year.

ALB

Why use a 6.5 when there are so many great 7mm ammo available? it's marketing at it best! My 7mm-08 is great on deer!

Im very partial to .308. I know nothing about the 6.5 because I don't own one. Ive got several different cal.'s in bolt action rifles. I have killed deer/hogs with them using several different shades of factory ammo. If you put the bullet in the right place its gonna kill, doesn't matter what cal. it is.

deast1988

Creedmoor ammo cheaper then 7/08z
Creedmoor becoming super popular meaning more funding is being spent in it.

I have both a 7/08 and a 6.5creed, the creed is close to the 7/08 but with cheaper more available ammo and less recoil.

fiddlinduke

I have sighted my 6.5 in with hornady eld 147gr. Shoots great at 100 yds Going to stretch it to 200+ this weekend. Have yet to shoot a deer with it

Major Wader

The "cheaper ammo" argument sounds like something to tell the wife to justify a new purchase.

Yes, there is much more variety in 6.5 Creed ammo, but a lot of it is target stuff, worthless for hunting.

Midway lists 27 varieties for 7mm-08, all hunting rounds. They list 50 for the cm, and over 20 are target ammo. No big difference in price, maybe a dollar or two on some. Premium is usually the same.

7mm-08 leaves the muzzle 100-175 FPS faster, and stays faster through reasonable hunting distances.