Best anchor/chain combo for 24ft Carolina skiff?

95g atl

I can tell you what NOT to use.
Don't use a round 10 lb basic lake anchor. The current pulled me away before I could even get a line in the water when at St Joseph Bay.

I upgraded to a 15 lb anchor with 6 feet of chain and longer rope. Tested at the lake and it's tough to pull up from deep depths. Have yet to test in the bay.

flatsmaster

Setup depends on depths u plan on anchoring as far as the amount of anchor line ... u want 6-8 ft of chain with a fluke type anchor at the upper end weight wise for ur boat size if ur wanting to run outside ... I'd have a minimum of 7-8 times of line then the depth ...

Mayberry

Does your boat have a bow cleat in the anchor locker? I just bought a new Carolina Skiff 24 Ultra Elite (bay boat style), and there is nothing to attach the anchor rode to in the locker. I had to tie off to the front cleat on my starboard gunnel this afternoon. That seems like it might pull out under a lot of pressure. What do you do when you don't have a cleat in your anchor locker?

Btw, I bought a Fortress FX-7 anchor. Stopping power of a 16 lb anchor, and it only weighs something like 4 lbs. Held really well today and wasn't too hard to get loose. I have 15' of chain and about 200' of anchor line. That will take care of me, even in the Gulf of Mexico....If I can find where I need to tie off the anchor line.

Last edited:

EastmanFireFighter

My boat only has the compartment where the anchor goes with a loop inside. I still have to tie it off on the front cleat. I have the opposite end of the anchor rope tied to the inside of the compartment. I only have 6' of chain and it holds my boat very well even in the fast moving GA waters.

boatbuilder

I carry a 13pound Danforth and 15 feet of 5/16 chain and 200’ of rhode in my 20 foot boat.

We get 7 foot tide swings here so there can be a lot of current.

Rabun

does the towing eye bolts protrude into the anchor locker? If so, bolt an attachment to those. I always tie my anchor off to a front cleat, but it's reassuring knowing the end of the rhode is secured to something