best arrows for youth bowhunter

bowtoater

Recommendations needed.
My 10yr. son is starting to shoot Odessey II bow.
It came with Satellite Gold Series 2940 arrows, in length of27.5 inches. He is pulling 34 lbs., and arrow length of 22 inches will give him plenty of length. I want him to be pulling 40 or so lbs. by bow season. I could also use suggestions on the weight(grains) on the suggested setup for broad heads and field points. I think the arrows that came with bow package have 75 grain points, but not sure.
ps. the arrows in bow package seem to fly strait, but I think their may be much better alternative.
Lay some Knowledge on me people.

killNgrill

carbon or aluminum?
decide what brand you want to go with, (and how much you want to spend) easton, gold tip, victory, theres quite a few arrow manuf. and most all of them have arrow selection charts on their websites. just use the chart to determine what spine arrow he needs for his arrow length and poundage. this will give you and idea of what your looking for.

i buy alot of stuff off archerytalk.com to buy some new/used arrows, you should be able to find some for a good price there
oh and probably lean towards fixed broadheads for hunting until he can get his draw weight up. hope this helps, ya'll have fun

Stumper

I looked at the easton website and went to their arrow selection chart and plugged in the info you posted, for "hunting" with a 75 gr tip at 40 lbs w/ 24" arrow, the only choice is the aluminum XX75 size 1813 at 7.9gr/inch.I plugged in this set up on the chart under "youth" instead of "hunting" and here's the result- size 22" arrow you use the carbon arrows , type A/C/C size 2-00 AT 4.7 gr/ inch or the aluminum XX75 size 1416 at 7.2gr/inch at 40lbs. I hope this helps you and at least puts you in the right direction if you go with Easton arrows.

Browtine

Easton Epic Juniors... That's what Bowhunter Supply in Carrollton has been setting up for the youth archery league and they have been happy with them as far as I know. I think they're good up to 45# draw weight.

bowtoater

thanks guys for your info. How heavy of a cut on contact head would I use with the 3555s or similar shaft at 24 inches

bowtoater

I think I will go with GOLD TIP ULTRALIGHT ENTRADA SHAFTS at 24" with 85 grain g5 Montecs. Remember he's pulling 35-40 lbs. If you anticipate a problem with penetration please post.

Browtine

I think I will go with GOLD TIP ULTRALIGHT ENTRADA SHAFTS at 24" with 85 grain g5 Montecs. Remember he's pulling 35-40 lbs. If you anticipate a problem with penetration please post.

According to the chart at the link below, the kinetic energy of his set-up is probably going to be a bit low for deer. The chart is Easton's recommendations for kinetic energy for taking the listed game. Deer falls into the 25-41 ft/lbs of KE category. I ran your boy's set-up through On Target 2 using 24" for draw length since I didn't see where you listed his actual length.

With the Gold Tip Ultralite Entrada 600 shaft cut to 24" with an 85gr head and 40# draw weight, and using 24" draw length (Pulled that length out of my, errrr, hat... I'll be glad to re-run it with the correct dl if you want to post it) I'm getting just over 180 feet per second and 20.22 ft/lbs of KE. A longer draw length will up the numbers a little, but probably not a whole lot. Again, I'll be glad to run it again with the actual draw length if you wish...

With all that said, the author of the article I am posting a link to below (with the chart I mentioned above) states, just above the chart, that historically, larger game has been taken with less than the chart recommends... The article is a pretty good read on penetration, and the reality of it all though. ;)

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/penetration/index.cfm

bowtoater

browtine
Thanks alot, you went out of your way and I apreciate it. I still don't know then. Maybe a heavier arrow like the 3555 goldtips suggested?
Draw length is more like 23 inches.
thanks.

Browtine

browtine
Thanks alot, you went out of your way and I apreciate it. I still don't know then. Maybe a heavier arrow like the 3555 goldtips suggested?
Draw length is more like 23 inches.
thanks.

With a 23" draw length the Ultralite Entrada 600 shaft with 85gr head drops to 175 fps and just under 18 ft/lbs KE. The 3555 Gold Tip XT3555 shafts are slower @ 166 fps with 18.75 ft/lbs KE. The inch of draw length hurt more than I thought it would.

Still, as the author stated, bigger game has been taken with less than that chart recommends. I have a good friend that is always talking about all the deer he killed back when he was only getting 150 fps arrow speed.

I went through the entire Gold Tip line-up in the software and looks like the Genesis G600 is probably your best bet. Gives you right at 19.25 ft/lb KE. They are all going to be stiff for that combo, but I don't see a way around that unless the Easton Epic Jr would work any better.

I think shot placement would be absolutely CRITICAL, and a cut on contact head like the Montec would be necessary, but I think I'd go with the Ultralite Entrada or Genesis and let the boy hunt if he can get up to 40# pull. My guess is that indians done a whole lot of killin' and eatin' with less than he will be carrying. Get him CLOSE and work on his accuracy... and get him a deer! :D