Best battery for Jon boat

Pop1414

Just wanted to get some feedback on the best battery for a Jon boat. I fish only resivors lakes that are trolling motor only. Just trying to figure out the best longest lasting battery that won’t leave me stranded. I use a 55lbs thrust trolling motor. 10 foot Jon boat mostly fish by my self,don’t really want one that weighs 100 pounds. Any thoughts will be appropriated.

glynr329

A Gel battery is superior to an AGM battery when used in long, slower discharges. Gel batteries might be the optimal choice for a trolling motor or running electronic equipment for a longer period of time. Gel is also better at withstanding external heat, making it more attractive in the warmer

Pop1414

A Gel battery is superior to an AGM battery when used in long, slower discharges. Gel batteries might be the optimal choice for a trolling motor or running electronic equipment for a longer period of time. Gel is also better at withstanding external heat, making it more attractive in the warmer
Thanks

GoldDot40

The one I use is a C&D Technologies AGM battery that is/was used as a backup power supply for data centers and hospitals. These batteries have a service life of 10 years. They are replaced every 2 years regardless. I got it from a local battery supplier who gets these every so often when they're taken out of service.

I paid $40 for it. It weighs 75 lbs and works better than any store bought battery I've ever used or seen and has ridiculously long discharge rate.

tbrown913

You want the highest reserve minutes possible. Group 31 usually has 220-230 group 27 180-200. That is what will tell you how long a battery will last. Tractor supply marine deep cycle had the most minutes for the price when I last bought them 4 years ago.

Pop1414

Thanks to all for the input. I guess it’s like everything else, you get what you pay for. Either a lot of money or a lot of weight.?

GoldDot40

Thanks to all for the input. I guess it’s like everything else, you get what you pay for. Either a lot of money or a lot of weight.?
For what it's worth, I use mine in a 10ft Pond Prowler with a 40# thrust motor. I can fish nearly the entire shore line of Bear Creek Reservoir, come home and put it on the charger....and it still has 80% capacity.

Pop1414

For what it's worth, I use mine in a 10ft Pond Prowler with a 40# thrust motor. I can fish nearly the entire shore line of Bear Creek Reservoir, come home and put it on the charger....and it still has 80% capacity.
Which one are you using...if you don’t mind me asking. Bear Creek is bigger than any of lakes I fish.

GoldDot40

Mine is the UPS12-400MR
Screenshot_20191216-183152_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
If there's any battery wholesalers in your area, I'd bet they can get a similar deal like the guy I deal with. They sell them as "blemished" batteries, but there's nothing wrong with them in regards to performance.

Hillbilly stalker

I fish out of a pond prowler/Pelican also. Ive been using the same Wal Mart battery for 3 years now. It a little heavy, no 75 lbs. tho. But it acts as a counter balance when placed in the rear of the boat. The main thing with batteries is taking care of them. Don't set them on concrete, and charge them as soon as you get back home with them. Once a month I put a slow charge on mine during the winter. Cold weather and non-use saps a batteries power. I can fish half a day on 1 battery and have plenty left when I put it back on charge. You can over charge them too.

Beenslayin

For my electric boat I bought 3 of the VMax agm batteries Group 31 marine trolling. They have been great. I run 1 12v minn Kota terrova up front off of one. Then I run a 24v 80lb transom minn Kota in the back. They were pricy but I don’t want to run out of juice since I troll a lot. I keep them on a maintainer so I am hoping for at least 5 years on them.