Best deal on a new tractor?

catch22

Kubota or Mahindra. We have a 28hp Kubota with hydrostatic and I dont particularly like the seesaw pedal. We have a 65hp Kubota with shuttle shift and I love it. We had a 23hp JD with hydrostatic and I loved the way it ran....2 pedals...1 foward and 1 reverse, but the JD is overpriced IMO. Im not sure if Kubota has changed their hydro pedals, but I would drive one before I bought it to see if I liked it. Solid machines though

wtruax

I was just in the same situation and was about to pull the trigger on an L series kubota about $26k with a brush hog out the door. and there happened be be an auction in town and I got a 4520 john deere for $11,500. It seems to be running great. there are some deals to be had on some broke in tractors that don't have all the new emission stuff on them.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I wouldn't buy any tractor that has a diesel particulate filter, or has to have DEF to run.
There are to many options that don't need those things to meet emissions.

and for what it is worth, regardless of where the JD is built, in this HP range they are all Yanmar engines. If I am going to buy a Yanmar, I don't want to pay a premium for it just because it has green paint on it.

ucfireman

I heard today that the McCormick dealer in Anderson SC was overrun with tractors they moved from the low country before the hurricane. Guy told me he bought a gear drive 40hp tractor, without a loader, for 11k... listed at 28k

Sound like the guy that caught a 48lb big mouth bass and a 72 point buck that went 308 inches.
Id have to see the paper work to believe it. Probably a used machine that originally listed for 28k.
My bad I missed the part about no loader. Sound possible. maybe.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If you ask me, JD is overpriced. Kubotas are good, New Hollands are great. My New Holland TC35D just keeps on keepin' on. Never had a lick of trouble with it. I just wish I had spent the extra bucks and got the 50HP version. May do that yet.

doomtrpr_z71

If you ask me, JD is overpriced. Kubotas are good, New Hollands are great. My New Holland TC35D just keeps on keepin' on. Never had a lick of trouble with it. I just wish I had spent the extra bucks and got the 50HP version. May do that yet.
If you buy a new new Holland, it will be overpriced as well since they are rebadged ls tractors now.

Huntin 4 More

Another kubota and HST fan here. I would go with the L3800 as the minimum. You will always want more power and I don't think there is a huge difference in price to move up from a 3200 class.

curtisj

I love my John Deere 3038e. Also, if funds allow, a bucket is a nice addition. Multiple uses. Just make sure it is the same width as your implements

Knotwild

That 6420 is made in Germany.

I work for a group of plantations and we have 10 Deeres from 170hp down. Deere is making some shody stuff now and it is hard/expensive to even get them worked on. The best one is over 14 years old and gives 0 problems. A 2016 50 series tractor was delivered to us with the casting sand still in the block.

If I had to buy a tractor, I would search for a good used and low houred JD even if I had to have it shipped. No way I would by anything new by anyone. JD is trying to put a strangle hold in it's customer base it seems.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
No def on less than 100 hp. Loader ain’t worth the money or hassle for mowing and harrowing. Nice when and if u need it

buy a tier 1 engine, and you don't have to worry about filters or DEF

southernman13

Yep was just referring to the newer stuff. We have a new Kubota CTL it has the def. hopefully someone will figure out a delete for it. It has quite a warranty though. We’ll see how it all shakes out. Had no option but to buy it with def. didn’t want a used unit.

K80Shooter

Check out the Kubota Grand L3560, it's a 35hp tractor that heavier than the JD3038e, Kubota L3301 and L3901. Being heavier is a good thing in a tractor. It will cost a little more but is well worth it.

southernman13

Not sure what the new Massey sizes are. We also have a 431
Massey 2 wd 45 hp. It’s a real Tractor. It’ll pull any of those little 35ish hp 4 wd like it ain’t hooked up. Like I said we have a 50hp 4wd Kubota. Shuttle shift. With loader. It More versatile but I wouldn’t never get rid of my Massey. Very simple and strong. I do not like the way the 3point arms hook up on it. Other than that it’s really nice

JeffinPTC

Beware of buying a tractor from a lawn mower dealer. I bought a green one from dealer in Newnan. Had several problems, first one was, if I wanted an Indian tractor, I would have considered Mahindra. First time it got wet, the dashboard paint ran, requiring a trip to the dealer for replacement. I had several returns for a hydraulic overheat which the dealer could not solve. Finally I read on a Green forum that if the bucket is full up, it opens a hyd bypass and the pump overheats. just don't run the bucket tilt full up and problem solved. The lawn mower dealer didn't know that. Tractor 5055e has run solid since I figured out the overheats.