BEST food to attract deer

Last year i bought my first 2 trail cams. I could put corn out at one spot with a camera and then 50 yards away i would put another 50 lb bag with a camera. I got totally different deer on each camera. seemed weird to me. But i recon the deer cannot smell the corn so my question is what can i put out that the deer can smell and attract deer in the area so i can see more deer and see whats in the area? i was thinking minerals but i don't know if they can smell that. Any ideas?!?!?!?!?

oh and i did try that buck jam with no result. thanks guys!! and gals

rtp

I have heard of people mixing in a package of koolaid with their corn to make it more attractable. It is sweeter smelling. I havent tried it but have heard of a number of people try it.

Huntervationist

instead of trying to bring the deer to your cam....try looking for natural funnels, highways of intersecting trails, and food sources they are feeding on atm.

General Lee

A few of those apple wafers sold for horses at Tractor Supply mixed with the corn works great..................

Catdaddy SC

Last year i bought my first 2 trail cams. I could put corn out at one spot with a camera and then 50 yards away i would put another 50 lb bag with a camera. I got totally different deer on each camera. seemed weird to me.

It has nothing to do with smell. Both sets of deer knew where each corn pile was, but repected the others turf. I see this all the time with multiple corn pile while I'm hunting. Sometimes they are only 20 yards apart. Each pile is normally claimed by a matriach doe from different family groups.

briarpatch

I make mineral licks with one bag each of dicalcium phosphate and feed mix salt mixed together. Its a pretty affordable and the deer seem to like it.

killa86

Last year i bought my first 2 trail cams. I could put corn out at one spot with a camera and then 50 yards away i would put another 50 lb bag with a camera. I got totally different deer on each camera. seemed weird to me. But i recon the deer cannot smell the corn so my question is what can i put out that the deer can smell and attract deer in the area so i can see more deer and see whats in the area? i was thinking minerals but i don't know if they can smell that. Any ideas?!?!?!?!?

oh and i did try that buck jam with no result. thanks guys!! and gals

buy a bag of beast feast at bass pro and lightly sprinkle on your corn dont use much has a very very fragrant aroma. should last you about a year if you treat it right

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Anise for a smell. Some years back, somebody came out with a spray can of anise for plastic worms. I took a can to the woods, sprayed on bushes. I actually had to run a herd of does off so I could go to camp for lunch.

UYD4L

Along the the lines of what Caddy was saying, bucks also move in cyclical patterns. So you may have one buck or a group of bucks at corn pile A on Monday and on Tuesday they may be at corn pile B.

I would say its probably not that they claim a well bounded geographical area, but rather they simply tend to avoid their biological competition by patterning a general area.

Overtime these patterns can change. I've noticed that the bucks on my place tend to favor one or two cam locations. But in the long run they end up appearing at another locations.

As far as an attractant goes, corn is pretty top notch. If you want to up the ante, we used some "acorn rage" this year and the deer tore it up.

7Mag Hunter

Apples or Peanut butter......

Take a jar of PB and cut the bottom out and
nail the lid to a tree about 4' off the ground....
Next screw the jar to the lid.....
They will find it if there are deer in the area.....

great ideas folks keepem coming!! i have 6 bags of black majic i bought for 2.00 a piece after the season was over i will try!!

z71mathewsman

Corn is hard to beat,,,,,

I pour vanilla flavoring in my bag of corn before I throw it out,,,really draws them in. Couple of jars of PB will help to in front of your trail cam. Hope this helps.:cool:

bowandgun

I like using dried molasses mixed with rice bran or corn. You can try the syrup, but it is messy. You can get dried molasses at your local feed store or Tractor Supply, molasses syrup at Kroger. Deer love the stuff. Peanut butter is good and you can screww the lid to a tree and cut the jar open and screw back to lid. Good Luck.

Pancake mix

A little trick my uncle (GA Native) has used since I can remember. He stops by the local dollar store and picks up the largest box of instant pancake mix. He will disperse the corn and the coat it with the pancake mix. Seems to work.