Best kept secret on Fanning Gobbers

chefrific

No doubt. It's dangerous, and just not what I call turkey hunting. To each their own, but it's not for me.
I just want a tree, my call...and maybe my shotgun.

fullstrut

Wow! Stay home if you cant go without the new age of hunting Turkey.

sman

Love it!

turkeykirk

Always carry a fan with me. Great for keeping the mosquitoes away.

Jeff Raines

How to win at turkey hunting.

Step 1-let people do what they want to do to make them happy.

Step 2-mind your own business and do what you want to do to make you happy.

MKW

Nope. I'd rather ridicule people. :bounce::bounce:

01Foreman400

Staff member

Agreed! I don't have enough time to worry over how folks online want to hunt. Too many other important things to worry about in my life.

Never fanned one but would love to try it given the right opportunity.

MKW

I don't go out of my way looking for things to clown on, but when folks put it on the internet, you have to take what comes. Not everybody will agree...on anything, ever.
Turkeys just ain't hard enough to kill for me to ever resort to such tactics. I guess if somebody can't kill one any other way, they have to do what they have to do to have a picture to show off.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Icdedturkes posted a thread last year on the dangers of Fanning/Reaping. While it does look interesting, it also looks like a good way to get shot. Particularly on a WMA. Not telling anyone what to do, but it's not for me.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Agreed! I don't have enough time to worry over how folks online want to hunt. Too many other important things to worry about in my life.

Never fanned one but would love to try it given the right opportunity.

I have done it...... it's an absolute blast:banana:. I will do it again if the right circumstance presents itself :shoot: That being said I don't go out actively thinking hey this is how I'm gonna hunt today. I have killed my fair share the old fashioned way and hopefully, Lord willing I'll get the chance to take a few more. As far as what other's think I can promise you I don't care, my mission is to kill a turkey by whatever means that is legal and necessary.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Icdedturkes posted a thread last year on the dangers of Fanning/Reaping. While it does look interesting, it also looks like a good way to get shot. Particularly on a WMA. Not telling anyone what to do, but it's not for me.

I've heard of enough poaching on private property to where it can happen there as well. People still illegally take potshots at turkeys with rifles. A man was killed in NC last season when his buddy shot him the head with a .22 while turkey hunting. There was an article in F&S about the joys of reaping and a statement that the author has checked with authorities and hasn't found a single incident of injury from reaping. I tend to think it's a ticking bomb and the single most dangerous tactic available to hunters with Murphy in the wings. No pun intended. Gil

Timber1

BANNED
There are so many different ways to hunt, types of birds to hunt, weapons to hunt with, that disagreeing with them all would be a full time job.
That doesnt mean you cant poke fun at them in a good natured way. That is just a part time job. ;)

Unicoidawg

Staff member
That doesnt mean you cant poke fun at them in a good natured way. That is just a part time job. ;)

Lol....... It's full time around here trust me. It's like herding cats.:banginghe

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The technique has probably been is use for a couple of thousand years.